Ayn Rand

Old 07-25-2009, 10:34 AM
n/a

Default Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand has been getting alot of attention lately. She first came to fame with "The Fountain Head"1943 which was made into a movie. Her most famous novel is Atlas Shrugged 1957. It is in that novel that the phrase "Going Gault" was derived.
Here is a speech from Fountain Head: It makes you think about today's political philosophies.

"The creator's concern is the conquest of nature. The parasite's concern is the conquest of men"

http://www.youtube.com/v/Zc7oZ9yWqO4..._embedded&fs=1
Old 04-16-2011, 04:43 PM
n/a

The movie Atlas Shrugged was released April 15th 2011. It is only in 300 theatres. I have to drive 80 miles to see it so I am going during the week when we already had a trip planned. Attendence is reported very good but most "critics" hate it. I am reading the book for the first time and it is very good. Anyone else read the book or seen the movie yet?
JJ
Old 04-16-2011, 05:36 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keedy View Post
Ayn Rand has been getting alot of attention lately. She first came to fame with "The Fountain Head"1943 which was made into a movie. Her most famous novel is Atlas Shrugged 1957. It is in that novel that the phrase "Going Gault" was derived.
Here is a speech from Fountain Head: It makes you think about today's political philosophies.

"The creator's concern is the conquest of nature. The parasite's concern is the conquest of men"

That was great. Now I have to find that movie. I'm sure I've seen it as a boy, but I know I haven't seen it in long, long time.

The "individual against the collective". It was a cleansing speech.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:13 PM
n/a

Default The movie was just completed and released

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
That was great. Now I have to find that movie. I'm sure I've seen it as a boy, but I know I haven't seen it in long, long time.

The "individual against the collective". It was a cleansing speech.
The movie was just released on April 15th. You can see where it is being show here:
http://www.atlasshruggedpart1.com/theaters
JJ
Old 04-16-2011, 10:42 PM
n/a

Default wrong movie

Richie,

I believe your quotation of the individual vs the collective is from a Star Trek movie.

Live long and prosper.

Now this is a drink for a man." -- Scott
"Scotch?" -- Checkov
"Aye." -- Scott
"It vas inwented by a little old lady in Lenningrad." -- Checkov

I signed aboard this ship to practice medicine, not to have my atoms scattered back and forth across space by this gadget." -- McCoy

And especially for the future 2nd Amendment readers - "The best diplomat that I know is a fully-loaded phaser bank." -- Lt. Cdr. Montgomery Scott
Old 04-16-2011, 10:49 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
Richie,

I believe your quotation of the individual vs the collective is from a Star Trek movie.

Live long and prosper.

Now this is a drink for a man." -- Scott
"Scotch?" -- Checkov
"Aye." -- Scott
"It vas inwented by a little old lady in Lenningrad." -- Checkov

I signed aboard this ship to practice medicine, not to have my atoms scattered back and forth across space by this gadget." -- McCoy

And especially for the future 2nd Amendment readers - "The best diplomat that I know is a fully-loaded phaser bank." -- Lt. Cdr. Montgomery Scott
Sometimes your sense of humor is just baffling. Whatever, though!!
Old 04-17-2011, 01:27 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keedy View Post

Ah Keedy - long ago banned from these forum pages. Can we have a moment of silence?

Could he still be in our midst?

Xavier
Old 04-17-2011, 06:02 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
Ah Keedy - long ago banned from these forum pages. Can we have a moment of silence?

Could he still be in our midst?

Xavier
I really never believed much in reincarnation. But here on these pages, it happens every day.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:20 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJoe View Post
The movie Atlas Shrugged was released April 15th 2011. It is only in 300 theatres. I have to drive 80 miles to see it so I am going during the week when we already had a trip planned. Attendence is reported very good but most "critics" hate it. I am reading the book for the first time and it is very good. Anyone else read the book or seen the movie yet? JJ
I read all Ayn Rand's books back in the 70s and I loved all her books. She was my favourite author. I think I'll see if I can get a free download on my iPad and read them all again. Does anyone know how to do that?
memason?
Old 04-17-2011, 09:55 AM
n/a

Default I dont have an IPAD but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I read all Ayn Rand's books back in the 70s and I loved all her books. She was my favourite author. I think I'll see if I can get a free download on my iPad and read them all again. Does anyone know how to do that?
memason?
I dont have an Ipad but I enjoy using my laptop to read her books now. The Kindle for PC app is really nice to customize the screen so it is easy to read. In the program you can chance the size of the font, the space between sentences and the color of the screen, but for me the best thing is to reduce the width of the paragraphs so your eyes do not go back and forth so much. In speed reading I was taught to try to keep my eyes in the center of the paragraph and catch as many words as possible. When you narrow the paragraph width you can read much faster by reducing eye movements. I am enjoying reading books again so much more.

It is my understanding there is an app for your Ipad that allows you to read thousands of free ebooks, free library books, and pay books from Amazon or Barnes and Nobles. Atlas Shrugged is not free. Anthem is free. I have those two so far.
JJ
Old 04-17-2011, 11:50 AM
n/a

I first hear of Rand in the late 1970s when I saw an album in a record store (remember those?) that caught my eye. Scanning the stuff on the back, I immediately bought the album, went home and played it. Inside, there was a "thank you" to Ayn Rand for her inspiration.

The group was "Rush" - they're still releasing albums these days.

The name of the album was "2112", and the title track was a 20-minute-plus opus on the individual versus the state.

Quote:
We've taken care of everything, The words you hear, the songs you sing
The pictures that give pleasure to your eyes
It's one for all and all for one, We work together, common sons
Never need to wonder how or why

We are the Priests of the Temples of Syrinx
Our great computers fill the hallowed halls
We are the Priests, of the Temples of Syrinx
All the gifts of life are held within our walls

Look around at this world we've made, Equality our stock in trade
Come and join the Brotherhood of Man
Oh, what a nice, contented world, Let the banners be unfurled
Hold the Red Star proudly high in hand

We are the Priests of the Temples of Syrinx
Our great computers fill the hallowed halls
We are the Priests, of the Temples of Syrinx
All the gifts of life are held within our walls

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.