TSA expanding more and more into your daily life.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:00 PM
n/a

Default TSA expanding more and more into your daily life.

I posted a long while ago, to much derision I might add, that the TSA was only grooming the public to accept intrusive invasions of privacy and loss of their human rights with the initial incursions on these freedoms at the nation's airports. The TSA is now beginning to appear at rail stations, ferrys, subways, etc., to continue with the implementation of the coming "police state".

The procedures are part of the TSA's VIPR program, which translates as the "Visible Intermodal Prevention and Response". The TSA has 25 VIPR teams doing these impromptu searches now and in the coming year it wants to expand to 12 more teams.

There have been controversial "screenings" of passengers after (yes, I said after) they disembarked from a train and were at their destination. They were dishonestly directed to the security area (being told that's were their luggage was, when actually it was sitting untended and unprotected on the platform) and then subjected to intrusive searches; man, woman and child.

VIPR teams are now targeting freight trucks on highways in addition to the random checks on public transit systems. Can private vehicles be far behind? Will there soon be no mode of transportation beyond the increasing reach of the TSA?

I know, I know; "If you have nothing to hide, why are you worried about this?" If you're American, like me, you don't have to ask that. Just read my signature at the end of this and every post of mine and you have my mindset.

http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/06/...systems-yearly
Old 06-21-2011, 03:32 PM
n/a

Richie,on this we agree....its a steady corrosion of our individual rights.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:49 PM
n/a

This sounds good to me. I am all for increased security.

I was in Spain several years ago when the Basque terrorists were bombing railroad stations. A friend I was travelling with was collecting empty (after drinking the beer) beer cans for his beer can collection. We arrived in Barcelona and Dave had a large box of the beer cans and they were rattling around the box. One of the National Police walked over to us - submachine gun over his shoulder - and demanded that Dave open the box on the station floor. The policeman obviously thought Dave was a little crazy for carrying empty beer cans after searching the box. No harm done, though. Dave went to the post office and mailed them home.

A few days after that, Basque terrorists bombed that very train station and several people were killed. I applaud that policeman for having the sense to check out a possible terrorist when he stopped Dave.

If disembarkation searches can be done in the USA, good for the USA. Same thing with freight trucks. Follow them when they come across the Canadian or Mexican boarders for possible terrorist activities. If there is a reason to suspect the truck, stop and search the truck!

If a police officer or VIPR team has reason to suspect a car travelling on the Interstate - stop and search the car!

Bleeding heart liberals like RichieLion will not like my statement of, "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear from a search." Richie's tag line may have been applicable 250 years ago but this is a different world than 1759.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:12 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
This sounds good to me. I am all for increased security.

I was in Spain several years ago when the Basque terrorists were bombing railroad stations. A friend I was travelling with was collecting empty (after drinking the beer) beer cans for his beer can collection. We arrived in Barcelona and Dave had a large box of the beer cans and they were rattling around the box. One of the National Police walked over to us - submachine gun over his shoulder - and demanded that Dave open the box on the station floor. The policeman obviously thought Dave was a little crazy for carrying empty beer cans after searching the box. No harm done, though. Dave went to the post office and mailed them home.

A few days after that, Basque terrorists bombed that very train station and several people were killed. I applaud that policeman for having the sense to check out a possible terrorist when he stopped Dave.

If disembarkation searches can be done in the USA, good for the USA. Same thing with freight trucks. Follow them when they come across the Canadian or Mexican boarders for possible terrorist activities. If there is a reason to suspect the truck, stop and search the truck!

If a police officer or VIPR team has reason to suspect a car travelling on the Interstate - stop and search the car!

Bleeding heart liberals like RichieLion will not like my statement of, "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear from a search." Richie's tag line may have been applicable 250 years ago but this is a different world than 1759.
You have surrendered your rights as a free American to the Statists. Your post is a disgrace to every man and woman who has fought and died to protect your individual rights. I've begun to like you as a person, but your ideas as presented in this post are an affront to every free thinking and free living American. Seriously, I am deeply ashamed for you.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:25 PM
n/a

Default Nice overreaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
You have surrendered your rights as a free American to the Statists. Your post is a disgrace to every man and woman who has fought and died to protect your individual rights. I've begun to like you as a person, but your ideas as presented in this post are an affront to every free thinking and free living American. Seriously, I am deeply ashamed for you.

time to lighten up a little.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:22 PM
n/a

Richie,

Remember that even if every man minus one were of one opinion, the opinion of that one cannot be diminished by the many any more than the one, if he had the power, to diminish the opinion of the rest of mankind. - John Stuart Mill
Old 06-21-2011, 09:21 PM
n/a

Quote:
Richie,

Remember that even if every man minus one were of one opinion, the opinion of that one cannot be diminished by the many any more than the one, if he had the power, to diminish the opinion of the rest of mankind. - John Stuart Mill
I'm just trying to help you see the forest for the trees. If I didn't care, I wouldn't try and I'd just flip you off (in a figurative sense). Still, your apparent willingness to abdicate your freedoms, and those of your neighbors, to the state in the hope of some elusive sense of security is just too much.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:22 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by actor View Post

time to lighten up a little.
Some things are just too important, and thus inappropriate, for me to think of with humor.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:26 PM
n/a

How long before we find portable body scanners on our street corners?

C
Old 06-22-2011, 07:39 AM
n/a

Fear and loathing.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:45 AM
n/a

I do not often completely agree with Richie, but I'm with him on this one. If you want 100% security from your state, go to where your security is guaranteed - like North Korea.

The word "Freedom" is antithetical to word "Security" when you boil them down to their barest essentials.

We are GUARANTEED BY OUR CONSTITUTION the right to privacy and NO agency has the right to stop you WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE. If the TSA wants to mount cameras and photograph everyone coming in and out of a train station, that's within their rights as people are in a public place. But to accost them without probable cause? That's another story.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:01 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplong View Post
I do not often completely agree with Richie, but I'm with him on this one. If you want 100% security from your state, go to where your security is guaranteed - like North Korea.

The word "Freedom" is antithetical to word "Security" when you boil them down to their barest essentials.

We are GUARANTEED BY OUR CONSTITUTION the right to privacy and NO agency has the right to stop you WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE. If the TSA wants to mount cameras and photograph everyone coming in and out of a train station, that's within their rights as people are in a public place. But to accost them without probable cause? That's another story.
Thank you.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:22 PM
n/a

Wow, I have heard someone say, "Love it or leave it" but never "go to North Korea". That is really to the point.

Thanks for the offer, DPlong, but I don't think that is the right place for me - although, I might be able to make a good living if I opened up a Kentucky Fried Puppy restaurant.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:10 PM
n/a

Quote:
Wow, I have heard someone say, "Love it or leave it" but never "go to North Korea". That is really to the point.

Thanks for the offer, DPlong, but I don't think that is the right place for me - although, I might be able to make a good living if I opened up a Kentucky Fried Puppy restaurant.
But in North Korea you would be completely safe from the terrorists you fear. It is the perfect realization of your desire and quest for security over freedom.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:48 PM
n/a

I did NOT say "love it or leave it". What I DID say was that, if SECURITY is you NUMBER ONE, before-anything-else goal, then you have to go where you'll get that. But, to be fair, I probably should have included Japan in that statement since they have VERY little crime and are CERTAINLY more 'free' than North Korea. I apologize for the tone of my previous statement because it kinda 'gets' me when someone says the government should be allowed to do anything so long as they keep the citizen safe. It's a complete abrogation of responsibility and common sense, IMO.

So now we get into a discussion of just what "security" means. What does it mean to you? What is the guarantee that you want? That you'll never be bombed on an airplane or in an airport? That you'll never be assaulted? That no harm will ever come to you? (Yes, that last one is silly, I'm just trying to make a point by going to one end of the scale)

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.