Concealed carry and mental health

Old 07-03-2017, 07:20 PM
n/a

Default Concealed carry and mental health

Florida lawmaker wants mental health evaluations for conceal-carry applicants | Miami Herald

I think it's a great idea.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:32 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
"President Trump signed a measure into law Tuesday that rescinds an Obama-era rule aimed at blocking gun sales to certain mentally ill people.

The GOP-majority Senate passed the bill by a 57-43 margin earlier this month, following a House vote to overturn the rule.

The Obama administration policy "would have required the Social Security Administration to report the records of some mentally ill beneficiaries to the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System," as The Two-Way has reported. "Those who have been deemed mentally incapable of managing their financial affairs — roughly 75,000 people — would have been affected by the rule."

It was strongly opposed by the National Rifle Association, and as NPR's Jessica Taylor reported, "Republicans argued it infringed upon Second Amendment rights by denying due process."

Trump Repeals Rule Designed To Block Gun Sales To Certain Mentally Ill People : The Two-Way : NPR
Old 07-03-2017, 08:02 PM
n/a

Most gun owners are for backround checks that include mental health.

It's the lawyers representing the wackadoodles that object. And the nra of course.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:43 PM
n/a

Quote:
"President Trump signed a measure into law Tuesday that rescinds an Obama-era rule aimed at blocking gun sales to certain mentally ill people.

The GOP-majority Senate passed the bill by a 57-43 margin earlier this month, following a House vote to overturn the rule.

The Obama administration policy "would have required the Social Security Administration to report the records of some mentally ill beneficiaries to the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System," as The Two-Way has reported. "Those who have been deemed mentally incapable of managing their financial affairs — roughly 75,000 people — would have been affected by the rule."

It was strongly opposed by the National Rifle Association, and as NPR's Jessica Taylor reported, "Republicans argued it infringed upon Second Amendment rights by denying due process."

Trump Repeals Rule Designed To Block Gun Sales To Certain Mentally Ill People : The Two-Way : NPR
There is a problem where people use the label of "mentally ill" for social engineering though. Which Donald Trump to his credit recognizes. This happens a lot among the wealthy I expect as they try to get control of assets left in wills. And politicians use it too. The 25th Amendment for instance. What is the 25th Amendment? Constitutional scholars say talk is 'premature,' unrealistic - CNNPolitics.com Some are trying to use it against Trump which seems a little like abusing the US Constitution and this would create a very dangerous precedent when someone is trying to change things. The powers-that-be would just call the person crazy.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:32 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyrd View Post

What data or qualifications does the SSA possess that permits them to determine someone's mental health status?

The Sandy Hook shooting has no bearing on this. I don't believe he received SS or SSI, so how was SSA supposed to report him?

Just more intrusion into our privacy by an out of control government

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-04-2017, 11:54 AM
n/a

Quote:
What data or qualifications does the SSA possess that permits them to determine someone's mental health status?

The Sandy Hook shooting has no bearing on this. I don't believe he received SS or SSI, so how was SSA supposed to report him?

First it was "selected" people, NOT ALL.

And if you oppose this, you certainly oppose Trump having the government learn so much more personal in his little political stunt on voter fraud.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:58 AM
n/a

Quote:

This would allow for quite a bit of abuse of power if it got in the wrong hands. And psychology and psychiatry are more art than science. These disciplines have been often used by autocratic governments to quell dissent or just to steal property of those defined by them as "mentally ill". Not just governments but unethical cliques of people who want to protect their status.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:00 PM
n/a

Quote:
This would allow for quite a bit of abuse of power if it got in the wrong hands. And psychology and psychiatry are more art than science. These disciplines have been often used by autocratic governments to quell dissent or just to steal property of those defined by them as "mentally ill".
And what our President wants states to give up based on NOTHING in his phony voting survey is so, so much more than this.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:10 PM
n/a

Quote:
First it was "selected" people, NOT ALL.

And if you oppose this, you certainly oppose Trump having the government learn so much more personal in his little political stunt on voter fraud.

DEFLECTION. If the SSA is to report these individuals where will they get the info?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-04-2017, 12:41 PM
n/a

fireworks are illegal.jpg
Old 07-04-2017, 12:59 PM
n/a

Quote:
DEFLECTION. If the SSA is to report these individuals where will they get the info?

No deflections intended but your fury in responding is noted.

I am simply pointing out that it was selective people who have already been declared mentally in competent to handle their own affairs, of which SSA would have a record. Total involved is less than 100,000 people, who have already been judged mentally deficient to handle affairs, but under current law could get a permit. That was over turned by Trump. They now can get a gun permit

Comparing that to the voter fraud commission which in itself is a fraud, that information is tame.

A few notes on the voter fraud where they want so much personal information...

,.....44 states thus far have refused to comply

......The man running this charade is a guy who has been active in this cause in Kansas for years and years. He is contraverial at best, and even though he was given authority in Kansas 2 years ago.....he has filed charges in 9 cases.....he got 6 convictions all of them were elderly citizens who were unaware of wrong doing, and would not have been stopped with any kind of voter id law (they, all 6 were double voting)
Old 07-04-2017, 01:17 PM
n/a

Quote:
No deflections intended but your fury in responding is noted.

I am simply pointing out that it was selective people who have already been declared mentally in competent to handle their own affairs, of which SSA would have a record. Total involved is less than 100,000 people, who have already been judged mentally deficient to handle affairs, but under current law could get a permit. That was over turned by Trump. They now can get a gun permit

Comparing that to the voter fraud commission which in itself is a fraud, that information is tame.

A few notes on the voter fraud where they want so much personal information...

,.....44 states thus far have refused to comply

......The man running this charade is a guy who has been active in this cause in Kansas for years and years. He is contraverial at best, and even though he was given authority in Kansas 2 years ago.....he has filed charges in 9 cases.....he got 6 convictions all of them were elderly citizens who were unaware of wrong doing, and would not have been stopped with any kind of voter id law (they, all 6 were double voting)

Fury? Once again you insert your thoughts to an extremely simple and unemotional response. I'll try again. You quote a number of supposed individuals (100,000) about whom the SSA has data that those individuals are mentally deficient. As such you and others say they should not access firearms. I don't believe they should either....if their mental health status is accurate.

My question was, where does the SSA acquire this data? Until you can answer that question you have no idea whether there are 100,000 people or 1 person who appropriately belong in the specific grouping you are talking about.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:31 PM
n/a

Quote:
Fury? Once again you insert your thoughts to an extremely simple and unemotional response. I'll try again. You quote a number of supposed individuals (100,000) about whom the SSA has data that those individuals are mentally deficient. As such you and others say they should not access firearms. I don't believe they should either....if their mental health status is accurate.

My question was, where does the SSA acquire this data? Until you can answer that question you have no idea whether there are 100,000 people or 1 person who appropriately belong in the specific grouping you are talking about.

I assume, applying common sense, that the SSA would know of anyone who has legally been found incapable of handling their finances (SOCIAL SECURITY WOULD NEED TO KNOW THAT FOR DISABILITY AND SS CHECKS) that they get it from their own files which were notified and tagged by law after a legal hearing to note these folks incapable.

READING does wonders for lack of knowledge...

"WASHINGTON —The House of Representatives approved its first effort of the new Congress to roll back gun regulations, voting to overturn a rule that would bar gun ownership by some who have been deemed mentally impaired by the Social Security Administration.

The House voted 235-180 largely along party lines Thursday to repeal an Obama-era rule requiring the Social Security Administration to send records of some beneficiaries to the federal firearms background check system after they’ve been deemed mentally incapable of managing their financial affairs.

The rule, when implemented, would affect about 75,000 recipients of disability insurance and supplemental insurance income who
require a representative to manage their benefits because of a disabling mental disorder, ranging from anxiety to schizophrenia. It applies to those between age 18 and full retirement age.

House votes to strike rule banning guns for some deemed mentally impaired
Old 07-04-2017, 01:53 PM
n/a

Quote:
I assume, applying common sense, that the SSA would know of anyone who has legally been found incapable of handling their finances (SOCIAL SECURITY WOULD NEED TO KNOW THAT FOR DISABILITY AND SS CHECKS) that they get it from their own files which were notified and tagged by law after a legal hearing to note these folks incapable.

READING does wonders for lack of knowledge...

"WASHINGTON —The House of Representatives approved its first effort of the new Congress to roll back gun regulations, voting to overturn a rule that would bar gun ownership by some who have been deemed mentally impaired by the Social Security Administration.

The House voted 235-180 largely along party lines Thursday to repeal an Obama-era rule requiring the Social Security Administration to send records of some beneficiaries to the federal firearms background check system after they’ve been deemed mentally incapable of managing their financial affairs.

The rule, when implemented, would affect about 75,000 recipients of disability insurance and supplemental insurance income who
require a representative to manage their benefits because of a disabling mental disorder, ranging from anxiety to schizophrenia. It applies to those between age 18 and full retirement age.

House votes to strike rule banning guns for some deemed mentally impaired

It is the responsibility of individual states to report adjudicated cases of individuals with mental health issues to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). The data is NOT reported to the SSA. There is a second issue as well. For whatever reasons, many states do not participate in reporting.

States Aren't Submitting Records To Gun Database : NPR

I copied this from a source you would be more likely to accept.

To me, this is a major reason why I question the appropriateness of the SSA collecting data. Why would they be any more successful than the NCIS system. It would also duplicate something the Feds already do. Why do something twice?

Old 07-04-2017, 02:04 PM
n/a

Quote:
It is the responsibility of individual states to report adjudicated cases of individuals with mental health issues to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). The data is NOT reported to the SSA. There is a second issue as well. For whatever reasons, many states do not participate in reporting.

States Aren't Submitting Records To Gun Database : NPR

I copied this from a source you would be more likely to accept.

To me, this is a major reason why I question the appropriateness of the SSA collecting data. Why would they be any more successful than the NCIS system. It would also duplicate something the Feds already do. Why do something twice?

There is too much room for error here. And also corruption, hacking, or whatever.

They should have limitations on the mentally ill getting weapons but it should be very much judge driven and not legislative driven. The judge could look at the records of that individual person. The Colorado movie theater shooter for instance should not have been allowed anywhere near guns. James Holmes (mass murderer) - Wikipedia

Tags
carry, great, health, mental, concealed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.