Concealed carry and mental health

Old 07-04-2017, 02:10 PM
n/a

Default Concealed carry and mental health

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
There is too much room for error here. And also corruption, hacking, or whatever.

They should have limitations on the mentally ill getting weapons but it should be very much judge driven and not legislative driven. The judge could look at the records of that individual person. The Colorado movie theater shooter for instance should not have been allowed anywhere near guns. James Holmes (mass murderer) - Wikipedia

But then how would the Fed database, NICS, be useful? That is the database gun dealers check before a gun is sold. In addition it is a source checked by the FBI, when concealed weapon permits are under review by the states.

If the individual has to be adjudicated, as required, isn't this the same as a judge making the decision?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-04-2017, 02:16 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
But then how would the Fed database, NICS, be useful? That is the database gun dealers check before a gun is sold. In addition it is a source checked by the FBI, when concealed weapon permits are under review by the states.

There are a huge number of people who have been mentally ill at one time or another and some probably fake it for attention or to claim disability payments.

Judges could put in some kind of a block into the Federal database for those that should not be able to buy guns based on the history of a person. Still very imperfect as there was that former law enforcement officer near Tampa who shot a man because he threw popcorn at him. Movie theater shooting: Judge denies 'stand your ground' defense - CNN.com That hardly sounds rational.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:22 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
There are a huge number of people who have been mentally ill at one time or another and some probably fake it for attention or to claim disability payments.

Judges could put in some kind of a block into the Federal database for those that should not be able to buy guns based on the history of a person. Still very imperfect as there was that former law enforcement officer near Tampa who shot a man because he threw popcorn at him. Movie theater shooting: Judge denies 'stand your ground' defense - CNN.com That hardly sounds rational.

I believe that for those who voluntarily enter mental health treatment, they are not covered by the regulation. The reg requires the reporting of individuals who have been adjudicated as mentally ill.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:45 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
I guessed the writer of each post correctly. Am I good or what?
Old 07-04-2017, 03:09 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I guessed the writer of each post correctly. Am I good or what?

You are good.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:00 PM
n/a

Ok, first off lets put the mental illness evaluation to rest. Mental illness is a judgement call. A person suffering from grief is considered to be suffering from a form of mental illness. That does not make them dangerous. The mental illness idea is just a ploy to slow down issuance of permits. And permits are only good for those that abide by some state or federal law. Many guns are passed down in families or even just sold at yard sales, garage sales etc. Background checks are not performed. At gun shows, background checks are done. At least all the gun shows I have been to. To be deemed mentally ill, you have to have someone make a judgement call. How many shootings do you suppose have been done by the mentally ill? Or, someone that would have been deemed mentally ill when he purchased the weapon? The mental illness ploy is just a facade to hinder gun sales, that's all.

Now, on the other hand, take this into consideration. I am going to make a bold statement that is sure to produce an argument. Most-MOST shootings are enabled by GUN CONTROL LAWS. Yep, if you look at the crime scenes, other than drive by shootings and gang related shootings, almost all shootings are done where there is gun control. Schools, bars, work place, movie theaters, college campus, etc. All places where guns are forbidden. Mass shootings could have been limited IF there were less gun controls in those areas, and someone could have hindered the shooter from a large death toll. Gun Control is the reason for many deaths. AND to go back to drive by shootings, most are in cities where there is strict gun control, such as Chicago, D.C. and NYC. Many drug related shootings are related to felons that illegally own firearms.

You can argue statistics all you wish, like how there are accidental shootings and suicide shootings. Yep, they happen. That's life.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:09 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
Ok, first off lets put the mental illness evaluation to rest. Mental illness is a judgement call. A person suffering from grief is considered to be suffering from a form of mental illness. That does not make them dangerous. The mental illness idea is just a ploy to slow down issuance of permits. And permits are only good for those that abide by some state or federal law. Many guns are passed down in families or even just sold at yard sales, garage sales etc. Background checks are not performed. At gun shows, background checks are done. At least all the gun shows I have been to. To be deemed mentally ill, you have to have someone make a judgement call. How many shootings do you suppose have been done by the mentally ill? Or, someone that would have been deemed mentally ill when he purchased the weapon? The mental illness ploy is just a facade to hinder gun sales, that's all.

Now, on the other hand, take this into consideration. I am going to make a bold statement that is sure to produce an argument. Most-MOST shootings are enabled by GUN CONTROL LAWS. Yep, if you look at the crime scenes, other than drive by shootings and gang related shootings, almost all shootings are done where there is gun control. Schools, bars, work place, movie theaters, college campus, etc. All places where guns are forbidden. Mass shootings could have been limited IF there were less gun controls in those areas, and someone could have hindered the shooter from a large death toll. Gun Control is the reason for many deaths. AND to go back to drive by shootings, most are in cities where there is strict gun control, such as Chicago, D.C. and NYC. Many drug related shootings are related to felons that illegally own firearms.

You can argue statistics all you wish, like how there are accidental shootings and suicide shootings. Yep, they happen. That's life.

Agreed. Gun free zones are advertisements for locations of those who may become sitting ducks in a bad situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tags
carry, great, health, mental, concealed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.