Congressional Term Limits.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:56 AM
n/a

Default Congressional Term Limits.

Term Limits Debate | Debate.org

What is your position on limiting the terms of Members of Congress?

I do not like to paint in a broad brush about politicians. I have had a lot of contact with them via correspondence anyway about my 25.80 year struggle to get practical materials into libraries for survivors/victims of crimes. My 224 613 Project. I know there it is yet again.

Some of them treated me like a pest others showed respect from the beginning. And this does not fall along party lines in any way. There were jerks on both sides of the aisle. Joe Biden for instance. I do think he is a cheshire cat like Clint Eastwood put out in 2012 at the Republican National Convention. A consummate politician who says anything to get votes and then just plays the DC game very well.

What I would like to see is a lot more transparency about what goes on in Congress. You do that through education on civics starting early. And we have so much technology know that could be used for good rather than the hateful diatribes and heaven for trolls you find now.

Libraries could also play a vital role in the education of the roles of citizens in what some dub the Trump Movement.

There are things I like about Donald Trump and his movement. Many things I do not like at all like his bullying, lying, racism, xenophobia, mysophobia, and overall how he makes crass over-generalizations about everything.

I am voting for Hillary Clinton but hope that we can keep some of the good things put out by Donald Trump. There is a very small chance that Donald Trump could become President of the United States. God help us if that happens.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:08 AM
n/a

I agree with the nut on this one. With an approval rat of 11%, it's time to clean house.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:16 AM
n/a

It doesn't matter what anyone thinks about term limits because it will never happen. Why would congress vote themselves out of a job?
Old 10-24-2016, 11:40 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Term Limits Debate | Debate.org

What is your position on limiting the terms of Members of Congress?

I do not like to paint in a broad brush about politicians. I have had a lot of contact with them via correspondence anyway about my 25.80 year struggle to get practical materials into libraries for survivors/victims of crimes. My 224 613 Project. I know there it is yet again.

Some of them treated me like a pest others showed respect from the beginning. And this does not fall along party lines in any way. There were jerks on both sides of the aisle. Joe Biden for instance. I do think he is a cheshire cat like Clint Eastwood put out in 2012 at the Republican National Convention. A consummate politician who says anything to get votes and then just plays the DC game very well.

What I would like to see is a lot more transparency about what goes on in Congress. You do that through education on civics starting early. And we have so much technology know that could be used for good rather than the hateful diatribes and heaven for trolls you find now.

Libraries could also play a vital role in the education of the roles of citizens in what some dub the Trump Movement.

There are things I like about Donald Trump and his movement. Many things I do not like at all like his bullying, lying, racism, xenophobia, mysophobia, and overall how he makes crass over-generalizations about everything.

I am voting for Hillary Clinton but hope that we can keep some of the good things put out by Donald Trump. There is a very small chance that Donald Trump could become President of the United States. God help us if that happens.
Yes, GOD will be helping us and listening to some of us, IF that happens. Trump for President.

You seem to forget that Hillary was hated by her fellow Democrats in congress. Hillary work both sides, not going to happen. She will be no more and actually less effective than Obama. Obama had the black thing going for him so he was protected from congressional wrath. Hillary won't. I hope that if she gets elected, due to ignorance on the left, that congress begins immediate impeachment for all the crimes she has committed.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:44 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It doesn't matter what anyone thinks about term limits because it will never happen. Why would congress vote themselves out of a job?
I agree, and I believe it will take a constitutional amendment. But, I really would like to see term limits. I bet there would be a lot more "constructive" work getting done with the term limits.

On the other hand, it would be nice to see them copy the Texas plan and only meet once every two years. The less they meet the less damage they can do.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:59 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I agree with the nut on this one. With an approval rat of 11%, it's time to clean house.
The nut. Nice one.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:17 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Maybe you missed the first sentence in the post:

"What is your position on limiting the terms of Members of Congress?"

And you are totally incorrect with the statement of "...it doesn't matter what anyone thinks..."

because it most certainly does.

Congress does not vote themselves out of a job...WE DO!!

Your minority report is duly noted.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:02 PM
n/a

Term limits on US Supreme Court Justices and on Members of Congress (both House and Senate) would have to be accomplished by Constitutional amendments.

This would be an almost impossible thing to happen. It would take many years and different administrations to accomplish. The amendment limiting the President to two terms took until the 1950's to be ratified. This was only for President.

Just imagine the partisan back and forths if it were for the Supreme Court much less Congress.

I will venture it will never happen.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:21 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
Term limits on US Supreme Court Justices and on Members of Congress (both House and Senate) would have to be accomplished by Constitutional amendments.

This would be an almost impossible thing to happen. It would take many years and different administrations to accomplish. The amendment limiting the President to two terms took until the 1950's to be ratified. This was only for President.

Just imagine the partisan back and forths if it were for the Supreme Court much less Congress.

I agree.

It is simply just another platitude of this campaign with no recognition of how the country, or the world works.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:23 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post

Not really. George Washington, when asked to run for a third term, said he believed that 2 terms should be the most any one man should serve as president. This statement served as a tradition for 144 years until FDR ran a 3rd time in 1940. When he was elected for a 4th term and died a few months later, it was felt that an amendment should codify the tradition set by Washington. The 22nd amendment was submitted for ratification 3/24/47 and subsequently was ratified by a 2/3 majority of both houses and a 3/4 majority of all (48) state legislatures by 2/27/51. Quite a bit quicker than the 27th amendment (delays congressional pay raises until a new congress is seated) which was submitted in 1789 and ratified in 1992

Tags
lot, limits, term, congressional

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.