Wisconsin senators pass no collective bargaining for public workers.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:46 PM
n/a

Default Wisconsin senators pass no collective bargaining for public workers.

After waiting 3 weeks for the Democrats to return from Illinois to vote on Governor Walkers budget repair bill, the Republicans amended the original bill to take out "fiscal issues" and passed a bill to strip collective bargaining rights from public workers. A quorum of 20 wasn't needed and the bill passed 18-1.

Check it out here: http://gatewaypundit.rightnetwork.com/

All hell is breaking loose in Madison. The democratic senators, most still in Illinois, are claiming it an injustice and the union is calling for a strike by all union employees.

More to follow but it's about time. How long should the Dems have been able to keep the state hostage? Wisconsin was in a budget crises and couldn't afford to wait any longer for the loser 14 senators to return.

About time someone stood up to the unions. Hard working taxpayers are sick and tired of paying for the new elite - union public workers!

Congratulations Governor Walker and taxpayers of Wisconsin.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:04 PM
n/a

This isn't fair!! The Wisconsin Republican's are fighting like ........like......well, like Democrats!!!; and who expected that?!!!
Old 03-09-2011, 09:52 PM
n/a

Default I think President Obama should...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis11003 View Post
After waiting 3 weeks for the Democrats to return from Illinois to vote on Governor Walkers budget repair bill, the Republicans amended the original bill to take out "fiscal issues" and passed a bill to strip collective bargaining rights from public workers. A quorum of 20 wasn't needed and the bill passed 18-1.

Check it out here: http://gatewaypundit.rightnetwork.com/

All hell is breaking loose in Madison. The democratic senators, most still in Illinois, are claiming it an injustice and the union is calling for a strike by all union employees.

More to follow but it's about time. How long should the Dems have been able to keep the state hostage? Wisconsin was in a budget crises and couldn't afford to wait any longer for the loser 14 senators to return.

About time someone stood up to the unions. Hard working taxpayers are sick and tired of paying for the new elite - union public workers!

Congratulations Governor Walker and taxpayers of Wisconsin.
I think President Obama should put in a No Fly Zone over Wisconsin before the bombing and rioting start... like the dem politician said.. sometimes you have to go out on the street and get a little bloody. I pray not and urge peace on all sides... but I suspect not.
And worse than that.. can you imagine how justified the poor and unemployed will feel to join the tragedy if it ignites over public employee negotiating rights?
JJ
Old 03-09-2011, 10:04 PM
n/a

Cool Wisconsin

This is a very scary situation. This has nothng to do with unions it has to do with the rights of citizens of this country to earn a fair wage, be respected for what they do.

Florida is about to be placed in the same situation that Wisconsin is in. Governeor Scott thinks he purchased a company when he purchased the State of Florida. He does not own the state, the citizens of the state of Florida own the state. Be prepared, Florida is on its' way to becoming a third world country, Hopefully they have awakened a sleeping giant that will not stand for this.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:12 PM
n/a

I dunno. Unions were to protect workers, but now and again their power became so great they almost ruined companies, such as International Truck and Engine company that until the huge strike in the 70's was one of the top ten most powerful and widespread businesses in the world. Management shouldn't have all of the power but neither should organized crime that controlled the unions in many areas.

People who work for the government shouldn't have different and better rights than those in the private sector.

There needs to be some checks and balances but this seems extreme.

But I believe in democracy. We will see what the voters say.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:19 PM
n/a

I truly do not understand the hatred for unions by some people. They would make us believe that public employees are solely responsible for everything that is wrong with America. Wall street and corporate giants rip us off for countless billions pay nothing and yet it's the unions. I'm not drinking that Kool-aid ever. If workers are not allowed to negotiate they are slaves to that company. Even companies without unions(Pfizer)negotiate. It's a sad day for American labor and The USA in general.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:57 PM
n/a

Default Public Employees do not have a right to unionize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynet View Post
I truly do not understand the hatred for unions by some people. They would make us believe that public employees are solely responsible for everything that is wrong with America. Wall street and corporate giants rip us off for countless billions pay nothing and yet it's the unions. I'm not drinking that Kool-aid ever. If workers are not allowed to negotiate they are slaves to that company. Even companies without unions(Pfizer)negotiate. It's a sad day for American labor and The USA in general.
Public Employees do not have a right to unionize. It was granted by an elected body and PARTS or ALL of it can be withdrawn by the elected body. The federal gov employees do not have the right to union and half the states already have significant restrictions on those rights. The unions and employees have no right to become disruptive, and intimidating, or run out of state. They should take their issue to the voters in the next election.

The REASON Wisconsin elected reps want to limit.. NOT END.. the collective bargaining rights is because they have a 3 billion dollar deficit that was caused IN PART by the current collective bargaining rights. It does not fix the problem to accept the belated offer to reduce benefits but leave in effect the imbalance in collective bargaining rights by public employees that IN PART caused it.. they must fix the imbalance. How can those employees complain when they have higher salaries and benefits than the taxpayers that pay their salaries? They should not.
It is wrong for unions to have a law that requires new hirees to pay union dues when they never got to vote on the union.. then take that money and give it to politicians that the worker opposes.. and then bargain with the politician they supported with their dues to get sweet deals on pay and benefits. It is wrong and must be changed.
JJ
Old 03-09-2011, 11:41 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynet View Post
I am not anti-union and am a retired Teamster myself, and thus I am not for the ending of collective bargaining rights which are the foundation of a union of workers. My comment above was purely political as the Republicans played this a little dirty, which is unusual for them and has, until now, been a fairly standard Democrat tactic in my opinion.

The public sector unions problem has been that they don't want to have any of the problems of the private sector impact them, and people are taking notice. This is because the suffering public is paying for all the wage and benefits of the public employee while having less of these benefits themselves. The last thing the unions need is more animosity from the public directed at them, but that is the path they have chosen.

They should have agreed to givebacks from the beginning and maybe they could have negotiated the retention of their bargaining rights in good faith. The unions could have generated much good will this way. Then, if and when, the economy turned around, and their political backers were again in office, they could have had their benefits restored much easier than is done in the private sector.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:21 AM
n/a

I just watched Michael Moore on msnbc tonight on RM show. This is going to get very ugly with his call for a national uprising.
JJ
Old 03-10-2011, 06:02 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
I am not anti-union.

The public sector unions problem has been that they don't want to have any of the problems of the private sector impact them, and people are taking notice. This is because the suffering public is paying for all the wage and benefits of the public employee while having less of these benefits themselves. The last thing the unions need is more animosity from the public directed at them, but that is the path they have chosen.

They should have agreed to givebacks from the beginning and maybe they could have negotiated the retention of their bargaining rights in good faith. The unions could have generated much good will this way. Then, if and when, the economy turned around, and their political backers were again in office, they could have had their benefits restored much easier than is done in the private sector.
Richielion: My thoughts exactly. There is a difference in Public and private unions. I know when we ask for too much in the private unions I may just be out of a job. I remember some 15 years ago there was a chance that we would have to give up concessions or possibly have our plant close.
It never came to that point but I couldn't believe how many members were against concessions.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:05 AM
n/a

Default Public Employees-collective bargaining

I'm confused. According to most on this forum public employees should not have collective bargaining. Most think it is improper for Unions to take taxpayer earned $ (dues) and use it for political purposes. The part of this statement I disagree with is after a employee earns their pay, should we be able to tell them how to spend it? Public employees provide services, yet every year they are expected to give back more to help whatever political agenda the current administration has . Here in Florida, public employees have not received a raise in 5 years, yet are expected to continue doing more for less. Most are trying to find a way to pay their bills with the same amount they earned 5 years ago. Public employees live in the area they work, spend their wages locally, pay taxes like everyone else, yet are looked at and treated like 2nd class citizens. The normal public employee does not earn a lot of money, that is reserved for management. Most forget that in a economic downturn more people are in need of more public services, food stamps, medical, etc. That translates into more work for the public employee not less. You, the general public, expect to be treated with courtesy and respect when you have need for public services, you expect them to always act professionally but yet be subject to constant ridicule because of the job they have. You expect the public employees to balance the budget out of their paychecks and give back more every year. I probably the only one on this forum that supports the public employee because I can see how easy it is for everyone to blame the public employee. This is why I can see the need for public employees to have collective bargaining, so they can concentrate on providing services we need and not to have to play politics every day on the job. Why is it OK for the NFL to have a collective bargaining agreement with the NFL owners to ensure fair compensation and benefits but the public employees should just be happy they have a job??
Old 03-10-2011, 08:25 AM
n/a

army one,I could not have said it better. All of this union bashing is just a smokescreen to get rid of money that usually goes to the Democratic party so the repubs and their corporate backers can totally rid themselves of whats left of the middle class. I'm really surprised someone doesn't tie high gas prices to the unions. Oh wait Wall street speculators aren't unionized so why blame them?
Old 03-10-2011, 08:45 AM
n/a

Default Wisconsin

Scott Walker had an article published in WSJ today and begn with the story of Megan Sampson who was awarded "Outstanding First Year Teacher in Wisconsin (2010). a week later she was layoffed due tot the FIFO method employed by the Teachers Union. In another article six or more bus drivers eaaarned in excess of $100,000 in 2009. A total for six of $1.9 million in 2009 and that does not take into account the generous benefits which in Wisconsin costs come close or equal to their compensation. Collective bargaining for public employees is an oxymoron because their employer is the taxpayer who is absent during negotiations and whom rely on public figures who rely on unions to get them reelected. Go Scott Walker
Old 03-10-2011, 08:48 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Scott Walker had an article published in WSJ today and begn with the story of Megan Sampson who was awarded "Outstanding First Year Teacher in Wisconsin (2010). a week later she was layoffed due tot the FIFO method employed by the Teachers Union. In another article six or more bus drivers eaaarned in excess of $100,000 in 2009. A total for six of $1.9 million in 2009 and that does not take into account the generous benefits which in Wisconsin costs come close or equal to their compensation. Collective bargaining for public employees is an oxymoron because their employer is the taxpayer who is absent during negotiations and whom rely on public figures who rely on unions to get them reelected. Go Scott Walker
Old 03-10-2011, 09:43 AM
n/a

Default When NFL owners negotiate with..

Quote:
Originally Posted by army one View Post
I'm confused. According to most on this forum public employees should not have collective bargaining. Most think it is improper for Unions to take taxpayer earned $ (dues) and use it for political purposes. The part of this statement I disagree with is after a employee earns their pay, should we be able to tell them how to spend it? Public employees provide services, yet every year they are expected to give back more to help whatever political agenda the current administration has . Here in Florida, public employees have not received a raise in 5 years, yet are expected to continue doing more for less. Most are trying to find a way to pay their bills with the same amount they earned 5 years ago. Public employees live in the area they work, spend their wages locally, pay taxes like everyone else, yet are looked at and treated like 2nd class citizens. The normal public employee does not earn a lot of money, that is reserved for management. Most forget that in a economic downturn more people are in need of more public services, food stamps, medical, etc. That translates into more work for the public employee not less. You, the general public, expect to be treated with courtesy and respect when you have need for public services, you expect them to always act professionally but yet be subject to constant ridicule because of the job they have. You expect the public employees to balance the budget out of their paychecks and give back more every year. I probably the only one on this forum that supports the public employee because I can see how easy it is for everyone to blame the public employee. This is why I can see the need for public employees to have collective bargaining, so they can concentrate on providing services we need and not to have to play politics every day on the job. Why is it OK for the NFL to have a collective bargaining agreement with the NFL owners to ensure fair compensation and benefits but the public employees should just be happy they have a job??
When NFL owners negotiate with their employees, their desire is to bargain to keep the owners own profits as high as possible.
When politicians who were financially supported by and elected by unions, their desire is to make the unions happy so they get more financial support from the union and the union vote, and the give unreasonable deals to the unions using taxpayer money, NOT THEIR OWN.
That is the problem and that is why unions should not be allowed to bargain with the politicians they financially and voter support.
BUT.. worse than that.. is unions refuse to require annual vote on the union by their members even though new employees get NO say in whether they are a member of the union..
and WORSE YET... the union confiscates money from that disenfranchised worker involuntarily from the worker paycheck BEFORE they even see it, they use that confiscated money to influence the politician as outlined above,
AND WORSE yet they want to intimidate and coerce union membership through pressure and refusal to allow secret ballots..
AND WORSE YET AGAIN.. unions negotiate most strongly for the workers who break the rules or are the least productive, rarely to increase compensation for the hardest workers.. in fact they come down HARD on the best workers to increase the need for more workers.. and in many parts of the country they have literally driven the companies out of town with strikes and rules.. my family have been a victim of these problems.
and FINALLY the owner of a unionized business can close the plant and move elsewhere, or close the plant and open up later with new employees if they cannot afford the union demands... the PUBLIC SECTOR cannot move and they cannot close, ... and because politicians are negotiating with other people (taxpayer) money, it is just easier to cave into demands... take the union money and votes.
JJ

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.