Dan Rather on Donald Trump.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:42 PM
n/a

Default Dan Rather on Donald Trump.

Dan Rather
Yesterday at 6:53am ·

Quote:
I felt a shudder down my spine yesterday watching Donald Trump's fusilade against the press. This is not a moment to be trifled with. It wasn't his first tirade and it won't be his last.

I was reminded of my college journalism professor, the late Hugh Cunningham, who would exhort his young charges in a thundering voice to "never let them scare you." It was his most important lesson. One of Edward R. Murrow's favorite words was "steady." That also bears repeating today.

This is a dirty, nasty election. And it is only going to get worse. The reporters in the trenches need no lecture from me. They are walking through daily minefields, bracing themselves against winds of discontent whose effects no one can predict.

I know what it is like to sit in those seats and feel the scorn and even wrath of politicians of all political persuasions. Attacking the press for unfair coverage has long been a bipartisan pursuit. Sometimes it works. I am happy to say that more often it doesn't. But Trump's brand of vituperation is particularly personal and vicious. It carries with it the drumbeats of threatening violence. It cannot be left unanswered.

This is not about politics or policy. It's about protecting our most cherished principles. The relationship between the press and the powerful they cover is by its very definition confrontational. That is how the Founding Fathers envisioned it, with noble clauses of protection enshrined in our Constitution.

Good journalism--the kind that matters--requires reporters who won't back up, back down, back away or turn around when faced with efforts to intimidate them. It also requires owners and other bosses with guts, who stand by and for their reporters when the heat is on.

I still believe the pen is mightier than the sword. And in these conflicted and troubled times, we should reward the bravery of the men and women not afraid to ask the hard questions of everyone in power. Our nation's future depends on it.
This is why Donald Trump scares me so much. He has no idea of the power he welds now and if he becomes President of the United States he will have so much more.

He is the wrong person to be in the White House. There is little nobility, little humility and little honesty.

There would be at least some checks-and-balances on Hillary Rodham Clinton-- the whole Republican Establishment has been attacking her for twenty-five years-- and on Bernie Sanders.

Trump brings with him an army of lawyers, little conception of ethics that I can see, and few puppet masters.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:19 PM
n/a

Dan Rather : Quite an excellent source since we know that he lost what was once considered the most respected position in the News business for being DISHONEST and then denying it all when he was caught .
How dishonest must you be to get released from long time Left leaning CBS News .
The man is disgraced and no longer of any matter at all .

By the way a man who loved to " dish it out " but was always very thin skinned when someone challenged him .
Old 06-02-2016, 02:37 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Dan Rather
Yesterday at 6:53am ·

This is why Donald Trump scares me so much. He has no idea of the power he welds now and if he becomes President of the United States he will have so much more.

He is the wrong person to be in the White House. There is little nobility, little humility and little honesty.

There would be at least some checks-and-balances on Hillary Rodham Clinton-- the whole Republican Establishment has been attacking her for twenty-five years-- and on Bernie Sanders.

Trump brings with him an army of lawyers, little conception of ethics that I can see, and few puppet masters.
And then you have witch Chillary. Now, that is one scary bit*h! Vote for her because she is so honest, and will smile at you while she is stealing the gold right out of your mouth. And where will she be at 3am when the sky is falling in Benghazi? In bed like everyone else. Only she won't get up except to make excuses and blame an innocent red herring for the slaughter. And don't worry about national security or having any state secrets with Chillary around. There won't be any secrets other than what Billy and she makes from skimming from a fake charity. And she is saying that The Donald is not ready for the White House. Well bit*h, you are ready only for the BIG HOUSE.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hilaryjail.jpg (103.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-02-2016, 02:43 PM
n/a

The news media does not report the news they invent it based on their ideology. Most of them have lost their objectivity and some their integrity.

Personal Best Regards:
Old 06-02-2016, 02:46 PM
n/a

I read his quote. What is untrue?
Old 06-02-2016, 03:04 PM
n/a

So let me get this straight. Dan Rather, who is a liar and a disgraced journalist is angry because Trump called him a liar and a disgraced journalist. You can't make this $h*t up.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:37 PM
n/a

Quote:
So let me get this straight. Dan Rather, who is a liar and a disgraced journalist is angry because Trump called him a liar and a disgraced journalist. You can't make this $h*t up.
You are attacking the person and not his ideas. Dan Rather did stretch the truth in some reporting but he is just another reporter. Donald Trump wants to have the most powerful position in the world.

Hillary Clinton has many controls on her. Trump has none as he does not seem to respect the US Constitution in the least.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:44 PM
n/a

"Dan Rather, the most well-known and well-respected television anchor in America, fronted a report prepared by experienced and well-respected TV news producer Mary Mapes in a show called “60 Minutes Wednesday.” The topic: some memos purported to be written by a Lt. Col. Jerry B. Killian that proved conclusively that Bush II shirked his National Guard duty during the Viet Nam War era.

Too bad the memos were forgeries. After defending Rather and Mapes for about two weeks, CBS admitted that the news team had inadequately investigated the memos. Mapes was fired almost immediately, and Dan rather, who was set to retire anyway, went more quickly and less elegantly than previously planned."

Rather did not investigate the story he presented. Is that what TV newspeople do today? They investigate what they are handed or they prepare it themselves. How did Bush, Clinton, Trump, Sanders and McCain get through the war? I wish Rather would make tell allk story before it's too late. Once all the candidates are in an all volunteer period we will loose that important puzzle piece. Who was wealthy, who had political pull, who volunteered, who went after deferments, injuries to get out and conscientious objection where there consequences.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:53 PM
n/a

Dan Rather is a blatant liar, past and present. The only liar worst then this sh*tbird is Killary Clinton.

And for that dummie that posted that Rather just "stretched the truth a little" you have to be kidding. He got fired because it was even too much for the liberals.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:40 PM
n/a

Quote:
I couldn't find any new story that Trump called Rather a lier and a disgraced journalist. That sounds right, I just can't find it.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:34 PM
n/a

Dan Rather is a disrespectful white trash piece of garbage. His opinion on anything is to be discounted totally.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:40 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest;1235***
Dan Rather is a disrespectful white trash piece of garbage. His opinion on anything is to be discounted totally.
Why? Because he accused Bush of not honoring his military commitment. Did I miss something?
Old 06-02-2016, 08:22 PM
n/a

Dan Rather politically pushed out well respected Walter Cronkite well before Walter wished to retire . Rather convinced the brass at CBS that he was heading into his prime and that he would leave if he didn`t get Walter`s seat .
Eventually it became Rather`s time to go and in an effort to hang on he became involved in the scandal that placed him in the exit lane .
Dan was never close to being the newsman that Cronkite was .
Rather was a local reporter for the CBS affiliate in Dallas when the JFK assassination took place . This gave him instant exposure on CBS at a time when there were only the 3 major networks . Rather rode this event to a national assignment covering the White House and made his " bones " during Watergate .
However the inside story was that he was extremely political and would stop at nothing to enhance his reputation . Eventually it all caught up with him by his own hand .
Old 06-02-2016, 08:57 PM
n/a

Quote:
Dan Rather politically pushed out well respected Walter Cronkite well before Walter wished to retire . Rather convinced the brass at CBS that he was heading into his prime and that he would leave if he didn`t get Walter`s seat .
Eventually it became Rather`s time to go and in an effort to hang on he became involved in the scandal that placed him in the exit lane .
Dan was never close to being the newsman that Cronkite was .
Rather was a local reporter for the CBS affiliate in Dallas when the JFK assassination took place . This gave him instant exposure on CBS at a time when there were only the 3 major networks . Rather rode this event to a national assignment covering the White House and made his " bones " during Watergate .
However the inside story was that he was extremely political and would stop at nothing to enhance his reputation . Eventually it all caught up with him by his own hand .
WALTER CRONKITE
Hailed as "the most trusted man in America" during his 18 years as anchor of the "CBS Evening News," Walter Cronkite first gained national recognition for his reporting from the battlefields of World War II. As a United Press correspondent, Cronkite covered the landings in North Africa and Sicily, the Allied invasion of Normandy and the subsequent battles across France and Germany. He was also a member of the "Writing 69th," a group of intrepid reporters that accompanied Allied bombers on missions over Germany. In 1968, while anchor of the "CBS Evening News," Cronkite journeyed to Vietnam to report on the aftermath of the Tet offensive. In a dramatic departure from the traditions of "objective" journalism, Cronkite concluded his reports with a personal commentary in which he voiced his strong belief that the war would end in stalemate. Cronkite's editorial would later be regarded as a critical indice of public opinion of the Vietnam War.
Reporting America at War . The Reporters . Walter Cronkite | PBS

This is how I remember Cronkrite.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:01 PM
n/a

Quote:
I couldn't find any new story that Trump called Rather a liar and a disgraced journalist. That sounds right, I just can't find it.
It wasn't and actual quote but rather an illustration of the sorry state of journalism in general and Dan Rather in particular.

There was a time when journalists took pride in their work, would investigate a story and tell the truth because their word was their bond.
Not so much anymore. These days, as Prof. Glen Reynolds likes to say, "Journalists are Democratic operatives with by lines.

Dan Rather put forward a story he knew to be false in order to advance a political agenda. He is a dishonorable man and has no standing criticizing Donald Trump.

Tags
back, trump, donald, dan

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.