Hampshire College In Amherst Stops Flying All Flags

Old 11-23-2016, 09:50 AM
n/a

Arrow Hampshire College In Amherst Stops Flying All Flags

AMHERST (CBS) — It’s been a week of flag-related controversy for Hampshire College, after the school’s Board of Trustees made the decision to lower the U.S. flag on campus to half-staff in the wake of the presidential election–and then decided to remove the flag entirely after a wave of backlash.

Hampshire College President Jonathan Lash told WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Ben Parker he knows it’s a controversial decision to remove the flag, but he wanted to create a dialogue among those with differing opinions about the symbol.

“There were a range of views on campus, including people whose experience growing up have made the flag a symbol of fear, which was strengthened by the toxic language during the campaign, and people for whom the flag is the symbol of all that’s best throughout the country,” said Lash

He said the trouble started with a gesture meant to help provoke “meaningful and respectful dialogue” on campus–a stance he outlined in a post on the college’s Facebook page. In that post, he said the Board of Trustees decided to fly the flag at half-staff due to the “environment of escalating hate-based violence” in the wake of the election.

Lash said the gesture was also meant to be an “expression of grief” over deaths around the world, including those of U.S. service members.

But, the move didn’t work as planned and many–especially veterans and families of veterans in the Hampshire College family–saw it as being disrespectful of the tradition of expressing mourning on a national level.

The Villages Florida
Old 11-23-2016, 09:51 AM
n/a

Perhaps they should move campus to Iran
Old 11-23-2016, 09:54 AM
n/a

I guess that since they are too disenchanted with our country, they will refuse government funding and gov. loans for tuition. Oh, that's right Hillary was promising them FREE tuition and now they are stomping their feet mad. Perhaps a flag from a Muslim country would be more appropriate for them.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:58 AM
n/a

send them this

The Villages Florida
Old 11-23-2016, 10:45 AM
n/a

Part of draining the swamp includes fixing and cleaning out academia.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:07 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
It needs to be done first...with a public proclamation that they were teaching propaganda...people BELIEVE what they're "taught" at school...correct or not.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:18 AM
n/a

Default Re: Free tuition

Quote:
I guess that since they are too disenchanted with our country, they will refuse government funding and gov. loans for tuition. Oh, that's right Hillary was promising them FREE tuition and now they are stomping their feet mad. Perhaps a flag from a Muslim country would be more appropriate for them.
Am I alone in the belief that anything means far more IF YOU EARN IT?
MY HISTORY-I went to a community college for my first two years. I worked a full 40 hours a week and shot weddings on some weekends to SAVE MONEY. I completed a four year degree, having spent all my savings, having had some help from my parents; I graduated with 13,000 in college loans. IN TODAY'S DOLLARS THAT IS ABOUT 78,000 DOLLARS. My wife and I PAID THAT DEBT.
The concept that I should be taxed to pay for the CHOICE others have made ESCAPES ME. Same rules that I have lived by. YOUR CHOICE YOUR DEBT. MY DEBT IT IS ME WHO PAYS IT.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:22 AM
n/a

Default Re: Cleaning out academia

Quote:
I recall reading an essay by Carl Marx where he replys to the question of will communism replace capitalism by WAR.
The reply by Marx was that communism will take over our education system. I READ HIS ESSAY ABOUT 1968.

SADLY HE WAS CORRECT.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:45 AM
n/a

I heard someone on TV this morning that stated that the term "draining the swamp" was a racist phrase. Hard to believe simple minded Americans today.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:25 PM
n/a

Linguine spined radical anti America so called educators.

Another scourge of the democrtaic party.

Whiners and pi$$ers and moaners.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:43 PM
n/a

Quote:
Linguine spined radical anti America so called educators.

Another scourge of the democrtaic party.

Whiners and pi$$ers and moaners.
That about sums it up...
Old 11-23-2016, 05:54 PM
n/a

Quote:
Am I alone in the belief that anything means far more IF YOU EARN IT?
MY HISTORY-I went to a community college for my first two years. I worked a full 40 hours a week and shot weddings on some weekends to SAVE MONEY. I completed a four year degree, having spent all my savings, having had some help from my parents; I graduated with 13,000 in college loans. IN TODAY'S DOLLARS THAT IS ABOUT 78,000 DOLLARS. My wife and I PAID THAT DEBT.
The concept that I should be taxed to pay for the CHOICE others have made ESCAPES ME. Same rules that I have lived by. YOUR CHOICE YOUR DEBT. MY DEBT IT IS ME WHO PAYS IT.
Well, well, screaming Sue Siegel, I knew you were a boy named Sue. Didn't think a woman could be that harsh. How did you get your wife to pay your loans?
Old 11-23-2016, 05:58 PM
n/a

Quote:
I heard someone on TV this morning that stated that the term "draining the swamp" was a racist phrase. Hard to believe simple minded Americans today.
The way to best translate liberal democrat-speak is ... if anything you say is disagreeable to them, it's "racist"

I used to think that was a joke but it's proving to be true unfortunately

Tags
flag, college, hampshire, lash, symbol

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.