Is this fair....

Old 01-18-2010, 09:26 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
I have tried to rationalize this from every perspective...help me all of those who support this action by our President and congress....help me to understand,,.,,,

"In their latest effort to pass a health care bill by any means necessary, Democrats have struck a "tentative deal" with their big labor allies to exempt union benefits from a tax on high value health care plans, CongressDaily reports.

The idea itself is nothing new. Back in June, Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus floated the idea of shielding union benefits from the new tax, but it was set aside. In September, President Obama declined to take a clear position on this so-called "carve out." But now that the excise tax has become a sticking point in negotiations between the House and Senate -- and one that threatens to cost Democrats union support for the bill -- the exemption idea is evidently back in play.

If this policy is adopted, it would mean that there could be two Americans receiving the exact same benefits, but one American may be taxed and one wouldn't, and the only difference would be one of them being a member of a union. This is unseemly and unfair, even by the standards of Obamacare. It has nothing to do with policy-making. It's simply an outright bribe to a constituency that has contributed handily to Democratic campaigns."

http://spectator.org/blog/2010/01/13...rant-special-e
I believe that the Unions neogicated the medical plans in lieu of higher wages by contract. The deal is intended to be in place only until new contracts can be negociated.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:30 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cologal View Post
I believe that the Unions neogicated the medical plans in lieu of higher wages by contract. The deal is intended to be in place only until new contracts can be negociated.
????? The unions are negotiating their contracts with the Federal government now?
Old 01-18-2010, 05:32 PM
n/a

Default Wow

Quote:
Are you serious. My God lets make some sense here.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:45 PM
n/a

Exclamation The Scoundrels

By offering great advantages to unions they are buying and bribing for more votes. What we are going through as a country is criminal. Does anyone remember the predictions that America will never be conquered from without but only by within. That is what we are seeing today. The Constitution is no longer the governing document, personal rights have been thrown over the side, a majority of politicians are taking overt bribes, open and transparency has been discarded and replaced with behind the doors agreements by crooked politicians, dirty politics is now generally accepted as a way of business and life.
The old time "carpet *******" are now a way of business, (Hillary from Arkansas to NY, Ford Jr. from Tennennsee to NY, the Kennedys from anywhere to a state they want to con RI, etc.) I am sorry that we are leaving this mess to our children and grandchildren to fix. We have left it to the young to go after these scoundrels.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:30 PM
n/a

Quote:
I need to know much more on what you are saying !!!

I dont doubt the medical plans were negotiated....but are you saying and I would need some valid language on it....that they WILL Not be taxed after the next contract negotiations ??? That the unions are going to take a lesser plan ? My understanding is that if you are in a union....NO tax..period !

By the way, when you negotiate a good medical contract, that, in most cases, cost the company more but it sure is a cost and very seldom will the unions go to a cheaper version !

So please clarify !!!
Old 01-19-2010, 08:32 AM
n/a

Default nothing but a bribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
I need to know much more on what you are saying !!!

I dont doubt the medical plans were negotiated....but are you saying and I would need some valid language on it....that they WILL Not be taxed after the next contract negotiations ??? That the unions are going to take a lesser plan ? My understanding is that if you are in a union....NO tax..period !

By the way, when you negotiate a good medical contract, that, in most cases, cost the company more but it sure is a cost and very seldom will the unions go to a cheaper version !

So please clarify !!!
Bucco, this is noting but a bribe for past votes and votes in the future.
Even though I benefit from his no tax on unions I am against it 100%.
They did not have my vote before and for sure they don't have it now.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:37 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUREK View Post
Bucco, this is noting but a bribe for past votes and votes in the future.
Even though I benefit from his no tax on unions I am against it 100%.
They did not have my vote before and for sure they don't have it now.
I agree...I just want to hear from COLOGAL where this information she supplied came from because that is something I have never even heard hinted at !!!!
Old 01-19-2010, 10:46 AM
n/a

I might add to this thread that this EXEMPTION for those special union members....

ADDS 60 BILLION (Billion with a B) to the cost of the plan !!!

So, we declared war on the "rich" (over 250,000) and now we gotta pull out those union members and declare war if you are not union ! Wait for card check and various other bills to push this even further.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:52 AM
n/a

If you believe that Colo, as the saying goes, 'I have some swamp land in Florida to sell you.'
Old 01-19-2010, 06:57 PM
n/a

Perhaps she's referring to how health insurance became a common work benefit in the first place.

There were wage and price controls in WWII. In order to improve the lives of their union members, unions discovered that it was legal to get more benefits in lieu of more wages since wages couldn't increase. The wartime restrictions didn't say ANYTHING about benefits.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:09 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplong View Post
Perhaps she's referring to how health insurance became a common work benefit in the first place.

There were wage and price controls in WWII. In order to improve the lives of their union members, unions discovered that it was legal to get more benefits in lieu of more wages since wages couldn't increase. The wartime restrictions didn't say ANYTHING about benefits.
That is basic contract negotiations.....but we have a tax that is proposed that if you are a union member you dont have to pay !

Fair or not ?
Old 01-20-2010, 07:43 AM
n/a

Last I heard was that the union leaders successfully 'negotiated' a hike in the value of plans that would be exempt from the tax (something over $23,500 for a family plan was one bit I'd seen). So if YOU had a plan valued at $24K, you or your employer would be subject to the tax UNLESS you were in a union.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:39 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplong View Post
Last I heard was that the union leaders successfully 'negotiated' a hike in the value of plans that would be exempt from the tax (something over $23,500 for a family plan was one bit I'd seen). So if YOU had a plan valued at $24K, you or your employer would be subject to the tax UNLESS you were in a union.

"...UNLESS you were in a union."

And there you have it !!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.