Republicans in a box for sure on this...

Old 02-15-2015, 01:57 PM
n/a

Default Republicans in a box for sure on this...

The lack of funding for DHS is going to be a "rear end biter" if the Republicans cannot find a way around this.

After reading all I could on this....I still have one question. First let me say that this is what I would support at this point....

"Sen. Joe Manchin III (W.Va.), the conservative Democrat who opposes Obama’s immigration orders, said McConnell needs to convince Boehner that they have to pass the funding bill without any of the policy conditions and instead send over a discrete piece of legislation that would repeal the presidential orders."

I say that because I am not sure what the options are....the presidential orders are a disaster and must go away. Of course that is on the plate of the congress to pass a total immigration bill, but they got stymied by this proclomation.

If they fund DHS, as is.....does that put more in motion than can be stopped quickly ?

They, the Republicans, are in a corner..

"Conservatives are adamant that the security agency should be funded only if the legislation also overrules Obama’s orders, which prevent the deportation of millions of illegal immigrants. But Senate Democrats, even the few who oppose Obama’s moves, have blocked the House-passed legislation with repeated filibusters.

That has left McConnell trapped inside a legislative box that he had vowed to avoid — and one that for the previous four years his close ally, House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio), frequently wandered into without an exit strategy.

McConnell was determined not to repeat those mistakes."

McConnell, after his no-shutdowns pledge, quickly finds himself boxed in - The Washington Post
Old 02-15-2015, 05:02 PM
n/a

When asked on Fox News Sunday today by Chris Wallace if he is prepared to let DHS shut down, Speaker John Boehner replied "certainly". This from the party that wants to deport Grandmas, but refuses to pay the people that protect the borders.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:05 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
When asked on Fox News Sunday today by Chris Wallace if he is prepared to let DHS shut down, Speaker John Boehner replied "certainly". This from the party that wants to deport Grandmas, but refuses to pay the people that protect the borders.
Can we stick to the subject, or are you open for slams the other way as well.

Dont you think that is a waste of your time and others ?

What else about the specifics was said ? What plans were discussed ?

Or do you only listen to be able to mock and make fun....I, just me, am more interested into what is actually happening rather then their party and the little jabs (deport Grandma).....and I didnt realize how many Grandma;s were part of that millions of illegals....do you have numbers to support that little slam, or was that simply a knee jerk reaction because of the constant talk of it ?
Old 02-15-2015, 05:09 PM
n/a

Since the previous poster is obviously a bit stunted in having adult conversations (but check with that poster if you want the little jabs), I thought I might post the news reports...

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - John Boehner, the Republican House of Representatives speaker, said he is willing to let funding for the Department of Homeland Security lapse as part of a Republican push to roll back President Barack Obama's executive actions on immigration.

With a Feb. 27 deadline looming for funding the department, Senate Democrats three times this month blocked consideration of the Homeland Security appropriations bill, which has already been approved by the House.

"Senate Democrats are the ones standing in the way. They’re the ones jeopardizing funding," Boehner told Fox News on Sunday. Asked if he was prepared to let financing for the department lapse, he said: "Certainly. The House has acted. We’ve done our job."

Boehner ready to let funding lapse for Homeland Security agency

"The Republican legislation passed by the House put Senate Republicans in a tough position because not only do they lack the votes to prevent Obama's fellow Democrats from using procedural hurdles to block the bill but also some Republican senators have expressed misgivings about tying homeland security funding to the immigration issue.

"The House has acted to de-fund the department and to stop the president’s overreach when it comes to immigration and his executive orders," Boehner said. "... And the Congress just can’t sit by and let the president defy the Constitution and defy his own his oath of office."

I do not agree with him on what he is doing. While I understand the frustration, sometimes you just have to do what is right.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:36 PM
n/a

McConnell needs to juggle the filibuster rules and set it up whereby a simple Senate majority vote is all that's needed to then send the bill to Obama.

The only funding excluded in the bill are those monies that would go towards enforcement of Obama's illegal and imperious E.O. on amnesty.

If Obama then wants to veto the bill and shut down DHS ... his bad.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:39 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
McConnell needs to juggle the filibuster rules and set it up whereby a simple Senate majority vote is all that's needed to then send the bill to Obama.

The only funding excluded in the bill are those monies that would go towards enforcement of Obama's illegal and imperious E.O. on amnesty.

If Obama then wants to veto the bill and shut down DHS ... his bad.
That is an option for sure, but I do not like the idea of suddenly playing like Harry Reid. He did that for years to our great detriment

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.