FYI: sumter county election precincts reduced

Old 05-16-2012, 06:04 PM
n/a

Default FYI: sumter county election precincts reduced

did'jall see this in the daily sun:

Daily Commercial - <p>Sumter to cut precincts to save cash</p>

"Sumter County hopes to save a lot of money by cutting the number of its election precincts in half -- from 46 to 24."
Old 05-16-2012, 10:35 PM
n/a

Default Another vote suppression tactic?

When you add the reduction of precincts to; restriction on early voting; more stringent voter I.D. requirements for registration and voting; criminal penalty on third party to register voters (League of Woman Voters - Quit voter registration); you start to see a pattern of those in control of the states and county's machinery to suppress the vote. Especially the votes of the young first time voter, the elderly long time voter, the working poor with limited transportation. What would you do if you saw a long line at the polling place? Now wounder voters are just giving up on government.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:33 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
did'jall see this in the daily sun:

Daily Commercial - <p>Sumter to cut precincts to save cash</p>

"Sumter County hopes to save a lot of money by cutting the number of its election precincts in half -- from 46 to 24."
May mean longer lines this November in the Villages if you do not vote early. There did not seem to be that many places to vote early in previous elections so that probably would not change.

Sumter County -- Supervisor of Elections
Old 05-17-2012, 07:37 AM
n/a

Cool

Wouldn't you think it time we start voting online, like we file our taxes ???
Old 05-17-2012, 08:50 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
When you add the reduction of precincts to; restriction on early voting; more stringent voter I.D. requirements for registration and voting; criminal penalty on third party to register voters (League of Woman Voters - Quit voter registration); you start to see a pattern of those in control of the states and county's machinery to suppress the vote. Especially the votes of the young first time voter, the elderly long time voter, the working poor with limited transportation. What would you do if you saw a long line at the polling place? Now wounder voters are just giving up on government.
yours is so funny for a first post!! may i suggest that you go back and read the article so that you can see your inflammatory assertions debunked with the info re longer hours of operation, weekend voting hours, early voting and the old standby of absentee voting!

this is all an attempt to save sumter county money. so if this cost-cutting measure is not to your liking, i hope we don't have to read your complaints re taxes that are too high.

welcome to the political forum, big guy.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:57 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
yours is so funny for a first post!! may i suggest that you go back and read the article so that you can see your inflammatory assertions debunked with the info re longer hours of operation, weekend voting hours, early voting and the old standby of absentee voting!

this is all an attempt to save sumter county money. so if this cost-cutting measure is not to your liking, i hope we don't have to read your complaints re taxes that are too high.

welcome to the political forum, big guy.
Perhaps I was unclear. My point is the reduction in poling stations is just one more way to inconvenience the voter and reduce the turnout in certain areas. I did read the article including the readers comment at the bottom questioning if they have studied the numbers before going ahead. When you take all the things that have been done to make voting tougher one cannot avoid getting the impression there is a larger effort to suppress the vote. Thanks for the warm welcome!
Old 05-17-2012, 03:44 PM
n/a

Quote:
Perhaps I was unclear. My point is the reduction in poling stations is just one more way to inconvenience the voter and reduce the turnout in certain areas. I did read the article including the readers comment at the bottom questioning if they have studied the numbers before going ahead. When you take all the things that have been done to make voting tougher one cannot avoid getting the impression there is a larger effort to suppress the vote. Thanks for the warm welcome!
don't fret, You were right the first time. We Republicans have been redistricting and changing hours/locations of polling places for years. It worked well in Florida in 04, so it continues. Dem's have the same option in areas of the country they control, if they don't, then Romney will have an even bigger win in Nov.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:37 PM
n/a

Quote:
guess it is a half full/half empty thing - since the board seems to be adding service availability.

as the article mentioned that it is being looked at in light of redistricting - perhaps - because of the growth of the villages population - there will be more polling places within the borders of the villages!
Old 05-17-2012, 05:24 PM
n/a

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villager II View Post
don't fret, You were right the first time. We Republicans have been redistricting and changing hours/locations of polling places for years. It worked well in Florida in 04, so it continues. Dem's have the same option in areas of the country they control, if they don't, then Romney will have an even bigger win in Nov.
It worked well in Florida in 04 you say, but it didn't work out so well in 2008 did it?
Old 05-17-2012, 06:03 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
It worked well in Florida in 04 you say, but it didn't work out so well in 2008 did it?
Please explain what you are talking about ?????

I dont think there was redistricting in Florida in 2004 nor 2008

PLEASE EXPLAIN
Old 05-17-2012, 10:25 PM
n/a

Default Sounds Like A Good Idea To Me...

...a huge number of people vote early and this year you can even "phone vote".

I'm a lot more disgusted that there is so much public apathy that more than two dozen elections are completely uncontested. And most of those listed in the article have to do with the management of the Sumter County schools and the community representatives elected to make some pretty fundamental decisions for residents of The Villages.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:12 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
You can thank Sarah P for that loss, not the GOP in general

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.