The greatest American who was never president by John Silveira

Old 02-20-2008, 01:38 AM
n/a

Default The greatest American who was never president by John Silveira

Found this interesting. FYI I would like to share with you in an "apolitical" manner with no innuendous intended, just interesting......barb

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/silveira60a.html
Old 02-20-2008, 03:34 AM
n/a

Default Re: The greatest American who was never president by John Silveira

Sadly, I had heard of George Mason, was even taught about him in school. Why sadly? Because it was in France. I honestly don't remember ever hearing him mentioned except as not signing the Constitution in any class in the United States. In France, he was mentioned as the basic author of the French Constitution -- it was his words and ideas for the American Constitution and the Bill of Rights that they used for their ideas.

I knew some of his battles but I didn't realize how much it had actually cost him. What a tragic story for such a great man.

Thank you, Barb.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:39 AM
n/a

Wouldn't Mr. Mason turn over in his grave if he knew Paris Hilton would be one of his descendants !! YIKES
Old 02-20-2008, 04:13 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch
Sadly, I had heard of George Mason, was even taught about him in school. Why sadly? Because it was in France. I honestly don't remember ever hearing him mentioned except as not signing the Constitution in any class in the United States. In France, he was mentioned as the basic author of the French Constitution -- it was his words and ideas for the American Constitution and the Bill of Rights that they used for their ideas.

I knew some of his battles but I didn't realize how much it had actually cost him. What a tragic story for such a great man.

Thank you, Barb.
I've always studied US history and thought I knew it pretty well. I'd probably heard of Mason in my youth but had forgotten him until I moved to Northern VA. George Mason University was nearby and out of curiosity, I looked him up. Boy I was shocked and impressed. :bow: (And how did northern Virginia (and I guess Boston, too) come up with all those great men at that time?) When they finally got around to giving him a memorial, it was appropriately built close to the Jefferson, but unlike the nearby grandiose FDR and Jefferson Memorials, this one is understated. It centers around a life-sized statue of Mason, sitting on a bench just gazing at the Tidal Basin. Pretty neat.

Oh, Richman, it's not just Mr. Mason. I was watching an old Disney movie late last night -- Witch Mountain. I was curious about the cute little kid who starred in it, Kim Richards. Looked her up on IMDB. Turns out she's Paris's aunt. :yikes:
Old 02-20-2008, 02:23 PM
n/a

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...Bill_of_Rights

Thought a lot of this thinking of the US Bill Of Rights stems from various British and other countries' philosphers mainly John Locke? http://www.chuckbraman.com/Writing/W...ophy/locke.htm

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.