A gun in the right hands?

Old 01-13-2017, 10:33 AM
n/a

Default A gun in the right hands?

In yesterday's Daily Sun was an article about a shooting near St Pete, FL.

A 64 year old man and his 26 year old daughter walked up to a house and knocked on the door. They were looking for their lost dog. The 83 year old homeowner opened the door and immediately began shooting with his pistol. He missed the two people but killed the wife sitting in the car.

Dementia? Who knows? What is known is that an innocent woman is dead for no reason. Chances are that he will not be held culpable for that killing.

If some family member knows their father or mother has dementia, I believe they should make sure there are no guns in that house.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:02 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest

A 64 year old man and his 26 year old daughter walked up to a house and knocked on the door. They were looking for their lost dog. The 83 year old homeowner opened the door and immediately began shooting with his pistol. He missed the two people but killed the wife sitting in the car.

Dementia? Who knows? What is known is that an innocent woman is dead for no reason. Chances are that he will not be held culpable for that killing.

If some family member knows their father or mother has dementia, I believe they should make sure there are no guns in that house.
And make sure they are not driving a car or golf cart. That would certainly reduce traffic around here.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:45 PM
n/a

Quote:
And make sure they are not driving a car or golf cart. That would certainly reduce traffic around here.
Probably not as there is a great deal of traffic.

Guns do come in handy. There should be common sense limitations on many aspects of the gun culture-- mental health testing, safety training, trigger locks against kids getting them, clip number of rounds, certain types of weapons, etc.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:08 PM
n/a

Quote:
Probably not as there is a great deal of traffic.

Guns do come in handy. There should be common sense limitations on many aspects of the gun culture-- mental health testing, safety training, trigger locks against kids getting them, clip number of rounds, certain types of weapons, etc.
Well the Constitution guarantees the RIGHT to ARMS. Meaning anything used in warfare. The founders wanted the CITIZENS as defenders with their own "arms" to be used as/if necessary. They were supposed to be able to form local "well regulated militias". To defend themselves from anyone including an overly controlling government.

Ask the South how that "guarantee" worked out.

Now, "militias" are the bad guys and they want to limit us to pea shooters.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:15 PM
n/a

Quote:
Well the Constitution guarantees the RIGHT to ARMS. Meaning anything used in warfare. The founders wanted the CITIZENS as defenders with their own "arms" to be used as/if necessary. They were supposed to be able to form local "well regulated militias". To defend themselves from anyone including an overly controlling government.

Ask the South how that "guarantee" worked out.

Now, "militias" are the bad guys and they want to limit us to pea shooters.
Read the actual 2nd Amendment. It is about the militia's right to bear arms. Or, that is how it sounds to me. It is written in an unclear manner.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:38 PM
n/a

Quote:
Read the actual 2nd Amendment. It is about the militia's right to bear arms. Or, that is how it sounds to me. It is written in an unclear manner.
Didn't I say that? Citizens, forming well regulated militias, having military arms?
Old 01-13-2017, 02:06 PM
n/a

Quote:
Didn't I say that? Citizens, forming well regulated militias, having military arms?
It is the militia's right to supply arms to the citizens is how I read it such as cannons and the like. Pretty much anyone living out on the frontier would need muskets to fend off bears, wolves, coyotes, and especially hostile Native American groups. There was a huge amount of wilderness still in the 1790s. Bill of Rights: Primary Documents of American History (Virtual Programs & Services, Library of Congress)
Old 01-13-2017, 02:08 PM
n/a

Quote:

Not much different than taking away their car keys. I'm a responsible gun owner and a concealed carry permit holder and I agree 100% that people with mental issues should not be allowed to have guns.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:12 PM
n/a

Quote:
There were no standing armies at the time that the constitution was written. If the nation went to war, civilians were called in to form a militia and they were expected to have their own weapons.

Reading many of the papers that the 2nd amendment was based on you would find that one of the concerns of the founders was a tyrannical government taking control. They felt that citizens should be able to defend themselves in such a case.

In later years, the Supreme Court has ruled that the right to bear arms extends to all citizens for their own personal protection.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:17 PM
n/a

Yep, and technically the gov is over stepping it's authority by limiting the type of firearm. Military firearms include "assault" weapons. But, that is another discussion for another day and another thread.

The majority of guns are owned by responsible adults. Same as automobiles, power tools, swords, etc. You can't stop a bad guy from obtaining a gun, just as you cannot stop a bad guy from driving while revoked. You don't take away everyone's hot rod because one kid drag races. You don't ban something from everyone just to protect one person.

The gun question will never end until the gov completely rids everyone of owning a gun.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:31 PM
n/a

Indeed this gun -related story is a tragedy. However why is it not also a continuing headline after every unborn is murdered with life-saving medical instruments? An irresponsible gun owner--an irresponsible and voluntary act by a woman.

The irony of it all , I cannot escape.

Personal Best Regards:
Old 01-13-2017, 04:31 PM
n/a

Quote:
Indeed this gun -related story is a tragedy. However why is it not also a continuing headline after every unborn is murdered with life-saving medical instruments? An irresponsible gun owner--an irresponsible and voluntary act by a woman.

Personal Best Regards:
That is a valid point.

On the other hand, a gun is for self-defense, defense of others, hunting, sport and national defense. An unborn child has only it's mother to defend it. And therein lies the shame, because once that mother gives up the act of defending the defenseless baby, it has no one else to protect it.

But, that is another subject.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:56 PM
n/a

Quote:
Over the years may Supreme Court Justices have read not only the amendment but the hundreds of papers leading up to and supporting the amendment. They have agreed, though not always unanimously, that the citizens of the country have a right to keep and bear arms.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:23 PM
n/a

Quote:

Personal Best Regards:
Quote:
That is a valid point.

On the other hand, a gun is for self-defense, defense of others, hunting, sport and national defense. An unborn child has only it's mother to defend it. And therein lies the shame, because once that mother gives up the act of defending the defenseless baby, it has no one else to protect it.

But, that is another subject.
If the unborn babies had guns...they would use them in self defense. Don't let them take your guns...because without them, you're no different than those helpless babies.

Personally...I consider it a part of the mother until it is actually born and self supporting...meaning it doesn't need life support...it's a viable child. While it's inside...it's "her" and she is free to do to "herself" whatever she pleases.

Quote:
Over the years may Supreme Court Justices have read not only the amendment but the hundreds of papers leading up to and supporting the amendment. They have agreed, though not always unanimously, that the citizens of the country have a right to keep and bear arms.
They also have the right to organize into local...well regulated...militias...with "arms"...the same arms as soldiers. We weren't supposed to have a standing army and an empire to defend. We were supposed to be free citizens each capable of defending themselves and the nation if need be. An entire "armed" populous ready, willing, and able to fight off aggressors.

Oh how we've strayed from the original charter.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:46 AM
n/a

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
- Thomas Jefferson, letter to to John Cartwright, 5 June 1824

"I ask who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers."
- George Mason, Address to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 4, 1788

Tags
house, year, hands, gun

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.