A gun in the right hands?

A gun in the right hands?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 01-13-2017, 03:31 PM
n/a

Indeed this gun -related story is a tragedy. However why is it not also a continuing headline after every unborn is murdered with life-saving medical instruments? An irresponsible gun owner--an irresponsible and voluntary act by a woman.

The irony of it all , I cannot escape.

Personal Best Regards:

Old 01-13-2017, 04:31 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
Indeed this gun -related story is a tragedy. However why is it not also a continuing headline after every unborn is murdered with life-saving medical instruments? An irresponsible gun owner--an irresponsible and voluntary act by a woman.

Personal Best Regards:
That is a valid point.

On the other hand, a gun is for self-defense, defense of others, hunting, sport and national defense. An unborn child has only it's mother to defend it. And therein lies the shame, because once that mother gives up the act of defending the defenseless baby, it has no one else to protect it.

But, that is another subject.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2017, 06:56 PM
n/a

Quote:
Read the actual 2nd Amendment. It is about the militia's right to bear arms. Or, that is how it sounds to me. It is written in an unclear manner.
Over the years may Supreme Court Justices have read not only the amendment but the hundreds of papers leading up to and supporting the amendment. They have agreed, though not always unanimously, that the citizens of the country have a right to keep and bear arms.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:23 PM
n/a

Quote:

Personal Best Regards:
Quote:
That is a valid point.

On the other hand, a gun is for self-defense, defense of others, hunting, sport and national defense. An unborn child has only it's mother to defend it. And therein lies the shame, because once that mother gives up the act of defending the defenseless baby, it has no one else to protect it.

But, that is another subject.
If the unborn babies had guns...they would use them in self defense. Don't let them take your guns...because without them, you're no different than those helpless babies.

Personally...I consider it a part of the mother until it is actually born and self supporting...meaning it doesn't need life support...it's a viable child. While it's inside...it's "her" and she is free to do to "herself" whatever she pleases.

Quote:
Over the years may Supreme Court Justices have read not only the amendment but the hundreds of papers leading up to and supporting the amendment. They have agreed, though not always unanimously, that the citizens of the country have a right to keep and bear arms.
They also have the right to organize into local...well regulated...militias...with "arms"...the same arms as soldiers. We weren't supposed to have a standing army and an empire to defend. We were supposed to be free citizens each capable of defending themselves and the nation if need be. An entire "armed" populous ready, willing, and able to fight off aggressors.

Oh how we've strayed from the original charter.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:46 AM
n/a

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
- Thomas Jefferson, letter to to John Cartwright, 5 June 1824

"I ask who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers."
- George Mason, Address to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 4, 1788
Old 01-14-2017, 06:48 AM
n/a

Quote:
Yep, and technically the gov is over stepping it's authority by limiting the type of firearm. Military firearms include "assault" weapons. But, that is another discussion for another day and another thread.

The majority of guns are owned by responsible adults. Same as automobiles, power tools, swords, etc. You can't stop a bad guy from obtaining a gun, just as you cannot stop a bad guy from driving while revoked. You don't take away everyone's hot rod because one kid drag races. You don't ban something from everyone just to protect one person.

The gun question will never end until the gov completely rids everyone of owning a gun.
Good luck with that. Even if they did I have no doubt that illegal guns would get into the country. And it wouldn't good responsible people that would get them.

I'm 65 years old. I have a bad back and a broken foot. I can't fight anymore and I can't run. What are my option for protecting myself?
A guy comes into a convenience store and starts shooting people. He has a gun, but if were up to some people I wouldn't be allowed to have one. I guess we're all supposed to just get shot and do nothing about it like those poor people in the "gun free" Fort Lauderdale airport.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:16 AM
n/a

Quote:
Good luck with that. Even if they did I have no doubt that illegal guns would get into the country. And it wouldn't good responsible people that would get them.

I'm 65 years old. I have a bad back and a broken foot. I can't fight anymore and I can't run. What are my option for protecting myself?
A guy comes into a convenience store and starts shooting people. He has a gun, but if were up to some people I wouldn't be allowed to have one. I guess we're all supposed to just get shot and do nothing about it like those poor people in the "gun free" Fort Lauderdale airport.

I'm a senior and I carry everyday. No one sees it, no one knows. I am not paranoid. I have no reason to be paranoid when I carry. I do not care whether anyone thinks that guns are bad. If they do not like guns then they should not obtain one. If I am around when their family needs protection against the bad guy, I will protect their family for them. I am not concerned about myself as much as I wish to protect my family. A gun is just another tool, to be used for the right job. Otherwise, it stays put away out of sight. Most gun owners in America are responsible and good. The bad ones cannot be put down if they have the gun and you don't. I have no intention of being another victim, another statistic. I have no intention of denying someone else's right to be a victim if their aversion for guns is greater than their sense of self preservation.

But, not everyone purchases a weapon for protection. Some use them for hunting or sport (target shooting competition). And some are just collectors.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:07 AM
n/a

Quote:
There were no standing armies at the time that the constitution was written. If the nation went to war, civilians were called in to form a militia and they were expected to have their own weapons.

Reading many of the papers that the 2nd amendment was based on you would find that one of the concerns of the founders was a tyrannical government taking control. They felt that citizens should be able to defend themselves in such a case.

In later years, the Supreme Court has ruled that the right to bear arms extends to all citizens for their own personal protection.
You seem to be forgetting that they had rather recently won a war against the greatest power on earth at that time-- Great Britain. And militias played a part in this victory. Militia in the Revolutionary War, Yorktown Victory Center

But, they needed to be trained very well to beat these extremely efficient British users of cannon and muskets. Often though the members of militias would run away from the British.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:42 AM
n/a

Quote:
I'm a senior and I carry everyday. No one sees it, no one knows. I am not paranoid. I have no reason to be paranoid when I carry. I do not care whether anyone thinks that guns are bad. If they do not like guns then they should not obtain one. If I am around when their family needs protection against the bad guy, I will protect their family for them. I am not concerned about myself as much as I wish to protect my family. A gun is just another tool, to be used for the right job. Otherwise, it stays put away out of sight. Most gun owners in America are responsible and good. The bad ones cannot be put down if they have the gun and you don't. I have no intention of being another victim, another statistic. I have no intention of denying someone else's right to be a victim if their aversion for guns is greater than their sense of self preservation.

But, not everyone purchases a weapon for protection. Some use them for hunting or sport (target shooting competition). And some are just collectors.
Maybe 50 years ago...but NOW the biggest group of "gun owners" are the inner city minorities. Just about EVERYONE in the ghetto has a gun. Gun violence is an inner city MINORITY problem. MOST violence is an inner city minority problem.

how many guns in the inner cities? - Google Search

Quote:
You seem to be forgetting that they had rather recently won a war against the greatest power on earth at that time-- Great Britain. And militias played a part in this victory. Militia in the Revolutionary War, Yorktown Victory Center

But, they needed to be trained very well to beat these extremely efficient British users of cannon and muskets. Often though the members of militias would run away from the British.
Hence the Constitutional GUARANTEE for the people to have "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed". "Arms" being weapons of war. Cannons back then. And now...well we're SO far beyond what the founders wanted/imagined we can't keep up. The "people" can't possibly have bombers and fighter jets or nukes. We've gone from a "free" place where men could carve out their place...to an over arching EMPIRE, bent on controlling everything.

The "free state" referred to is BOTH freedom from foreign invaders...AND tyranny at home...like Lincoln denying the Southern states secession.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:47 AM
n/a

Inner-City Gun Violence | The Frontier Torts Project

This is interesting. Hand it over to the lawyers and lawsuits against gun manufacturers. Worked fairly well with tobacco. At least tobacco use is less attractive and the users know more what they are getting into even if some still smoke.

Tags
house, year, hands, gun