He lied. Does it matter?

Old 05-11-2012, 08:02 PM
n/a

Default He lied. Does it matter?

For years this forum has been peppered with posts about politicians who lie.

Posters characterize this as the worst possible behavior and rail on about how no one who is caught in a lie is fit to hold public office. If an office holder lies, it is grounds for impeachment or recall.

There is a silly thread currently circulating here about President Obama's behavior in high school. The author finally admits he started it because of the attention given to reports of Mitt Romney's high school hijinks.
But, as often happens, the thread focuses on the superficial information rather than the real issue. Romney was asked about his participation in a the harassment of another student while in high school. The student might have been targeted because he acted 'gay'. The four others who ganged up on the kid and cut his bleached-blond hair remember this incident well. A couple of them admit feeling guilty when they think back on what they did.

The real issue here is not about Mitt Romney's behavior in high school. Only the participants know what it meant and whether it was hijinks or bullying. And it was 50 years ago. And the 'victim's' family released a statement today regretting that the matter has been dredged up.

Romney claims he has no recollection of the incident. Everyone who has heard all of the comments by the other students who were with Romney have concluded that Romney is not telling the truth.

So if you are thinking of voting for Romney, does it concern you that he lied about this?
Old 05-11-2012, 08:34 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijusluvit View Post

Posters characterize this as the worst possible behavior and rail on about how no one who is caught in a lie is fit to hold public office. If an office holder lies, it is grounds for impeachment or recall.

There is a silly thread currently circulating here about President Obama's behavior in high school. The author finally admits he started it because of the attention given to reports of Mitt Romney's high school hijinks.
But, as often happens, the thread focuses on the superficial information rather than the real issue. Romney was asked about his participation in a the harassment of another student while in high school. The student might have been targeted because he acted 'gay'. The four others who ganged up on the kid and cut his bleached-blond hair remember this incident well. A couple of them admit feeling guilty when they think back on what they did.

The real issue here is not about Mitt Romney's behavior in high school. Only the participants know what it meant and whether it was hijinks or bullying. And it was 50 years ago. And the 'victim's' family released a statement today regretting that the matter has been dredged up.

Romney claims he has no recollection of the incident. Everyone who has heard all of the comments by the other students who were with Romney have concluded that Romney is not telling the truth.

So if you are thinking of voting for Romney, does it concern you that he lied about this?
First, I reject your assumption that there was a lie told.

Second, to give you a direct answer, I don't care (still rejecting your idea that he did)...I DO CARE however about the President of the United States lying to me...that is easy.

If this race for President was based on character alone, we have ourselves a landslide and Obama can add to the unemployment rate.

I have been saying on here for over 3 years, PLEASE read his books...check the archives in Chicago....this man, while he does seem like a decent family man has a past full of lies
Old 05-11-2012, 09:05 PM
n/a

ijusluvit - i believe the sister of the victim indicated that the story as written by the post was "'factually incorrect' and that they are '"aggrieved that he would be used to further a political agenda.'" that sounds a bit stronger than your description of "regretting that the matter has been dredged up."
Family: Story about Romney prank on brother 'factually incorrect,' politically motivated | Fox News

you also posted, "'The four others who ganged up on the kid and cut his bleached-blond hair remember this incident well." and today other classmates have different recollections of mitt romney, "Mr. Lauber is no longer alive, but several classmates confirmed the account. Others, in interviews on Thursday, said that they were surprised by the accusations, and that they had never known Mr. Romney to act in a vicious or cruel manner.

“'One of the last words I would ever use to describe Mitt would be bully,” said John French, a Cranbrook classmate. “If you’ve ever been around guys in a boys’ school, you kid each other and pull little pranks on things, what you might call sophomoric humor, but I really, honestly, do not remember anything being malicious.'”
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/11/us...es-romney.html

it's unfortunate that mr. lauber has passed and cannot be reached by the wp/nyt for his interpretation of the event!

did mitt romney lie about not remembering - who knows? maybe the other classmates have better memories. maybe mitt blocked it out of his memory. you don't know if he lied either!

i can't remember everything about 1965 - except that as a h.s. senior i got my driver's license on the first try and then skipped school for the rest of the day. when it got found out - i got detention; it was the FIRST time i EVER got after school detention! and when i told my father he replied, "thank goodness! college admissions officers might have thought there was something wrong with you!"
Old 05-11-2012, 09:28 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijusluvit View Post

Everyone who has heard all of the comments by the other students who were with Romney have concluded that Romney is not telling the truth.
This statement is obviously a lie.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:34 PM
n/a

If this incident did or did not take place, it was about 50 years ago. It is of no matter at this time. If it did take place, who really cares? High school kids do stupid things and grow up to be good citizens.

Let's focus on the present issues and what can be done by the best person to keep our country going forward. (or to go forward).
Old 05-11-2012, 10:20 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
If this incident did or did not take place, it was about 50 years ago. It is of no matter at this time. If it did take place, who really cares? High school kids do stupid things and grow up to be good citizens.

Let's focus on the present issues and what can be done by the best person to keep our country going forward. (or to go forward).
Yes, let's do that. Otherwise there are so many lies told by Obama that it would take a 1000 word post to list them.

He's lied about his entire life. There's little that's real in the story he tells of his life.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:45 PM
n/a

Glad you think that way, RichieLion. Time to move on to issues and skip this "He lied - no, he lied".

I would really like to hear what Mr. Romney will do to get gasoline prices to go down in the short term. I know his long term ideas of Keystone pipeline, more drilling, etc but I want to know about the short term solution he has - if he has one. If Newt had a plan to get gasoline to $2.50 or less - like he said he did - I would like Newt to explain exactly how that was going to be accomplished - and we could see if it was feasible.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:45 AM
n/a

It was Joe Wilson who lied.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:08 AM
n/a

Quote:
Glad you think that way, RichieLion. Time to move on to issues and skip this "He lied - no, he lied".

I would really like to hear what Mr. Romney will do to get gasoline prices to go down in the short term. I know his long term ideas of Keystone pipeline, more drilling, etc but I want to know about the short term solution he has - if he has one. If Newt had a plan to get gasoline to $2.50 or less - like he said he did - I would like Newt to explain exactly how that was going to be accomplished - and we could see if it was feasible.
Thank goodness gas prices are headed down and never reached $4.00 a gallon like they did in July 2008 under the Bush administration. Thank you President Obama. Gov Romney has never made it clear whether or not he favors off-shore drilling close to the coasts of Florida.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:38 AM
n/a

The thing that's disturbing about the Mitt Romney high school prank story is his reaction. Although he never denied that it happened, he laughed about it when interviewed on a local Fox radio station instead of apologizing.

This story comes only a week after his openly-gay national security advisor, Rick Grenell, was forced to resign and Romney never defended him or openly asked him to stay on in spite of Grenell's qualifications for the job.

As Romney was just delivering the commencement address at Liberty University, which refuses to admit gay or lesbian students or faculty, he remarked that "marriage is for one man and one woman". He must forget that his grandfather had several wives.

Romney's attitudes towards gays is probably not a Morman thing, since Harry Reid, another Morman, has come out in support of same-sex marriages.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:52 PM
n/a

Obama is "The Lyin' King".................nobody does it's better.

Articles: Obama: The Lying King
Old 05-12-2012, 01:07 PM
n/a

And Yes it matters. Lie Cheat Steal all go with the same person. Yes it matters a lot.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:26 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
The thing that's disturbing about the Mitt Romney high school prank story is his reaction. Although he never denied that it happened, he laughed about it when interviewed on a local Fox radio station instead of apologizing.

This story comes only a week after his openly-gay national security advisor, Rick Grenell, was forced to resign and Romney never defended him or openly asked him to stay on in spite of Grenell's qualifications for the job.

As Romney was just delivering the commencement address at Liberty University, which refuses to admit gay or lesbian students or faculty, he remarked that "marriage is for one man and one woman". He must forget that his grandfather had several wives.

Romney's attitudes towards gays is probably not a Morman thing, since Harry Reid, another Morman, has come out in support of same-sex marriages.

Excellent point about the Mormons and their history of polyagmy. In fact, there are sects of Mormons who still maintain their polyagmy.

Liberty University invites a non-Christian as their commencement speaker? Must be the first time in their short history to do so. Have they ever had a minority as their commencement speaker? Just wondering!!
Old 05-12-2012, 01:56 PM
n/a

Default Right On!

Quote:
...Let's focus on the present issues and what can be done by the best person to keep our country going forward. (or to go forward)...
Good suggestion.

I really can't fathom why people keep re-visiting criticisms of President Obama when he's already been in office for three years and has only six months until the next election. In fact, we're continually reminded by posters that they've been saying the same thing for three years. We know. We've been reading about it for three years. Don't you think we understand the criticisms after all this time? At this point, people either agree or disagree and more posts describing what was seen in the rear view mirror won't change anyone's mind.

It seems to me that we'd all be better off looking forward, understanding and discussing the issues currently facing the country and who might best address them, rather than looking backwards and saying, "I've been saying this for three years".

Who cares?
Old 05-12-2012, 02:41 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
Good suggestion.

I really can't fathom why people keep re-visiting criticisms of President Obama when he's already been in office for three years and has only six months until the next election. In fact, we're continually reminded by posters that they've been saying the same thing for three years. We know. We've been reading about it for three years. Don't you think we understand the criticisms after all this time? At this point, people either agree or disagree and more posts describing what was seen in the rear view mirror won't change anyone's mind.

It seems to me that we'd all be better off looking forward, understanding and discussing the issues currently facing the country and who might best address them, rather than looking backwards and saying, "I've been saying this for three years".

Who cares?
Plenty care. It's only the leftists who don't want to investigate the fairy-tale that is Obama's past life. (Romney's fair game though; snicker...snicker)

We have time for many discussions. The economy is one thing, our national security another; but finally getting people to understand the true nature of the man who is occupying the "people's house" is also one that needs investigating.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.