View From The Other Side Of The Pond

Old 04-28-2011, 09:58 AM
n/a

Default View From The Other Side Of The Pond

The headline on the front page of today's Daily Independent, one of Great Britain's major daily newspapers, tells it all...

The day America took leave of its senses

The headline refers to the argument raging in the U.S. over where Barack Obama was born, notwithstanding not one shred of evidence supporting allegations that he is not a U.S. citizen. More importantly, this "debate' rages while the country sinks deeper and deeper into debt, the resulting threat to our very way of life increasing by the week, and most of our elected representatives now saying that they see no way that they can reach a political agreement to reverse that course.

Here's the entire article...
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...s-2275816.html
Oh my, as Winston Churchill so sagely observed more than a half century ago...
"The Americans will always do the right thing...but only after they've tried everything else."
Old 04-28-2011, 10:21 AM
n/a

"The Americans will always do the right thing...but only after they've tried everything else."

I fear that may have been an appropriate phrase at the time. A time when there were of course the usual politics but within a common goal to keep America on course.

I do not think the politicians of today have that same credo. I believe because they are individually wealthy and so polarized they would in fact watch America crash and burn as they are currently demonstrating. The politicians of today have a very self centered priority.

It has been said our modern (suit yourself as to what era and how long) government only responds to an issue when it becomes a crisis. They have shown that not to be an accurate assessment either. Proof being the complete lack of action on the continuing, worsening financial disaster and the continuing worsening energy disaster that grows worse day by day by week by week by year by year.

And for the partisan biased, the above is not condemning one party or the other. We have been on this path for over 50 years. The only common denominator is the apathy of we the people. However, even worse in the current completely polarized, paralyzed, finger pointing, blame finding OK with doing nothing attitudes of today.

btk
Old 04-28-2011, 10:54 AM
n/a

Not sure I care about the musings of this British journalist who once called President Bush the "imperial president". I rarely care what self righteous outsiders think, anyway.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:08 AM
n/a

Richie,

Just kind of curious. What kind of cat is in your picture? Looks very much like mine that I had for 19 years before he passed away last year. Great animal and good friend, too.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:43 AM
n/a

Well, he kinda was.

I defended Bush II a *lot* - especially form some of the more savage liberal epithets ("trained monkey" being one I remember specifically).

But the facts speak for themselves.

We had a LOT of support for going into Afghanistan. He (Bush) even did 'the right thing' (IMO) in giving the Taliban a warning: "Hand over Bin Laden or else". Granted you, me, him and every person on the planet knew what the response to THAT would be.

Iraq? Not so much. A lot of countries were pulled into that kicking and screaming. As the news later came out that the WMDs had vanished and Saddam was most likely bluffing a LOT, we lost prestige. Abu Graib had us lose more. Finding out about ignoring any intelligence that ran contrary to The Party Line on WMDs had us looking BAD.

And when you look at the fact that we're still in Germany, Japan and countless bases all over the world - you begin to understand how someone can see things that way.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:22 PM
n/a

The sad part about all this birther vs truther things is that it takes away from the real problems that we are facing. As prices raise, it seems that not one of our elected officials care. So what seems to be the the correct answer to the problems, they will take care of themselves. Print more money, borrow more money who cares as long as I get elected again and again and again.

I think that Obama was born in Hawaii, and is most likely a US citizen. But doing what the WH did now opens a can of worms that I think they will be sorry they opened. Now comes requests for his school records, passport applications, IE., how did he travel to Pakastan in the 1980s when it was off limits to all Americans. Just wondering???? I really dont' care either way, I want our government to start to fix the problems we are having or we are going to lose a great way of life.

Read an interesting piece on the Constitution by the so called constitutional experts. The difference between natural born and native born. Google it, its really a good read. My daughter fits into the native born catagory and according to the experts she would not fit the requirements for the Office of the President. Her mother was a not a US citizen at the time of her birth.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.