How About A Political Pact?

Old 03-02-2015, 05:23 AM
n/a

Default How About A Political Pact?

Dear Truly Interested Political Talk Users:

It is in a way of speaking a no man's land here created by the owners to (1) meet the needs of its customers who desire this forum and (2) lessen the need for its moderators to ride shotgun over a disproportional amount of time.

TOTV's concerns were genuine, in resurrecting this forum, as we have noted one or a few (can't tell with the ever user being guest) wasting our time with accusation, charges name calling, etc. And TOTV was correct in not allowing actual user names and again because of the ungrateful few.

I am not sure and frankly don't care if these few recalcitrants are incapable of intelligent dialogue or trolls but their actions are non-productive.

So I suggest that those of us who truly desire a civil, cogent and informative point counter point exchange all agree to ignore or make invisible said non productive comments as not essential to the subject matter at hand.

I believe it is the best solution for our problem and for TOTV's moderators problems if we simply moderate by avoidance. After all that is what polite company requires.

Personal Best Regards:
Old 03-02-2015, 08:10 AM
n/a

If only you will stop the incessant cut and paste plagiarism.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:18 AM
n/a

Dear OP I have used this tactic successfully on FB - I think it could work well on this site.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:54 AM
n/a

The only time I respond to the one/few is when they restate a post of mine to mean something completely different than intended.

My position is always for everybody to have their own opinion and state it as they see fit. However they are not entitled to re-state what I (or others) meant or intended.

I understand it is often a baiting technique but I have a difficult time leaving an intentional untruth or inccurate presentation of my intents.

I do miss the ignore button from the non political TOTV.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:09 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post

It is in a way of speaking a no man's land here created by the owners to (1) meet the needs of its customers who desire this forum and (2) lessen the need for its moderators to ride shotgun over a disproportional amount of time.

TOTV's concerns were genuine, in resurrecting this forum, as we have noted one or a few (can't tell with the ever user being guest) wasting our time with accusation, charges name calling, etc. And TOTV was correct in not allowing actual user names and again because of the ungrateful few.

I am not sure and frankly don't care if these few recalcitrants are incapable of intelligent dialogue or trolls but their actions are non-productive.

So I suggest that those of us who truly desire a civil, cogent and informative point counter point exchange all agree to ignore or make invisible said non productive comments as not essential to the subject matter at hand.

I believe it is the best solution for our problem and for TOTV's moderators problems if we simply moderate by avoidance. After all that is what polite company requires.

Personal Best Regards:

I agree, old friend.

Kindest regards.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:24 AM
n/a

Here's on you can ignore, just to get started.

Perhaps, you guys hold go out and start your own website, with a political forum that you can run anyway you see fit. You could limit all posters to those of the same political persuasion and you could all entertain each other. This way, you'd have no opposing views and everyone could agree on the sky is falling agenda.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:54 AM
n/a

Quote:

Personal Best Regards:
I think this is an excellent suggestion. As a very smart friend of mine often says "Don't engage"!
Old 03-02-2015, 10:58 AM
n/a

Quote:

Perhaps, you guys hold go out and start your own website, with a political forum that you can run anyway you see fit. You could limit all posters to those of the same political persuasion and you could all entertain each other. This way, you'd have no opposing views and everyone could agree on the sky is falling agenda.

Which "guys" would that be, old enemy?
Old 03-02-2015, 11:05 AM
n/a

Quote:
"Wing-Nuts Exclusive" would be an appropriate title of the newly developed website.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:07 AM
n/a

Quote:

Okay, I'm engaging...........but just this one time. You are not understanding the point. The concept of this forum and I think the desire of most intelligent posters on here is not to just engage with those of the same political persuasion, but to have civil discourse with those coming from many different perspectives. The problem is not the different political persuasions, but the manner in which posters address one another and the throwing out one line comments with no basis in fact, and particularly if it is totally off topic. Personally, I don't believe there is a problem with just expressing an opinion and calling it such. I don't feel that every comment has to be a factual statement. But please stay on topic and don't call names.....now that's JMHO.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:29 AM
n/a

Quote:
I knew you couldn't keep the pact...
Old 03-02-2015, 11:38 AM
n/a

Quote:
Okay, I'm engaging...........but just this one time. You are not understanding the point. The concept of this forum and I think the desire of most intelligent posters on here is not to just engage with those of the same political persuasion, but to have civil discourse with those coming from many different perspectives. The problem is not the different political persuasions, but the manner in which posters address one another and the throwing out one line comments with no basis in fact, and particularly if it is totally off topic. Personally, I don't believe there is a problem with just expressing an opinion and calling it such. I don't feel that every comment has to be a factual statement. But please stay on topic and don't call names.....now that's JMHO.
Most of us know this is exactly what you meant and intended.
We also know the tactic of re-stating to suit one's agenda which is obvious in a couple of responses.
We also know that those few accept no position other than their own.
Their trade mark is to label or snipe or diss that which does not follow their drum beat.
And then there is the usual name calling.
They are so identifiable and predcitable, changing the subject matter and adding no value.
The new tool they have is since we are all guests they can provide their own counterpoint and support.....which is also easily identifiable.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:22 PM
n/a

Quote:
Most of us know this is exactly what you meant and intended.
We also know the tactic of re-stating to suit one's agenda which is obvious in a couple of responses.
We also know that those few accept no position other than their own.
Their trade mark is to label or snipe or diss that which does not follow their drum beat.
And then there is the usual name calling.
They are so identifiable and predcitable, changing the subject matter and adding no value.
The new tool they have is since we are all guests they can provide their own counterpoint and support.....which is also easily identifiable.
Dear Guest: Exactly its not that they disagree its that they fail to make an argument and their retorts are hateful leading one to conclude that they are not well suited for civil point counterpoint discussion

As one poster succinctly states ägree don't engage""

So even if one intentionally distorts what I said if I perceive it to be bait etc I will resist responding.

Let's look forward to learning from one another so that at election time we make the best choice possible

Personal Best Regards
Old 03-02-2015, 06:17 PM
n/a

Reading some of the replys to what I thought was a reasonable observation and request proves to me that Cro-magnon man did indeed exist. This forum is for entertainment not intellectual dialog.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:45 PM
n/a

Quote:
Reading some of the replys to what I thought was a reasonable observation and request proves to me that Cro-magnon man did indeed exist. This forum is for entertainment not intellectual dialog.

Kinda like Fox News.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.