Tea Party says Immigrants in Sumter/Villages Get Out!

Old 02-24-2011, 02:25 PM
n/a

Exclamation Tea Party says Immigrants in Sumter/Villages Get Out!

Did anyone read this and have an opinion on the story published by the daily commercial newspaper, here's the link:

http://www.dailycommercial.com/local...teapartysumter

Seems as if some contractors (we know who they are without naming), are hiring high numbers of immigrant workers performing the contracted work. Some villagers are angered by this as it takes from American jobs and hurts our economy. Tea partiers signed a petition and even threatened to call the US Immigration dept. if the problem was not addressed by our commissioners. Instead of wasting time with petitions on an already "bought out" commission, they should just make a couple quick calls. If you are one of these advocates and you are serious about stopping illegal immigration locally, the easiest thing to do is call the FL workers compensation hotline at 1-800-378-0445. The FL Dept of Revenue (worker's comp) is one of the toughest offices in the state gov'ts arsenal for getting things done and hammering non-compliance. I think they have a reward program too! Petition smarter - not harder!
Old 02-24-2011, 04:40 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVdyin View Post
Did anyone read this and have an opinion on the story published by the daily commercial newspaper, here's the link:

http://www.dailycommercial.com/local...teapartysumter

Seems as if some contractors (we know who they are without naming), are hiring high numbers of immigrant workers performing the contracted work. Some villagers are angered by this as it takes from American jobs and hurts our economy. Tea partiers signed a petition and even threatened to call the US Immigration dept. if the problem was not addressed by our commissioners. Instead of wasting time with petitions on an already "bought out" commission, they should just make a couple quick calls. If you are one of these advocates and you are serious about stopping illegal immigration locally, the easiest thing to do is call the FL workers compensation hotline at 1-800-378-0445. The FL Dept of Revenue (worker's comp) is one of the toughest offices in the state gov'ts arsenal for getting things done and hammering non-compliance. I think they have a reward program too! Petition smarter - not harder!
I read your other five posts.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:15 PM
n/a

me too........
Old 02-24-2011, 06:49 PM
n/a

Me three!
Old 02-24-2011, 07:23 PM
n/a

Default Immigration

I have to admit that I suffer from cognitive dissonance with this issue. Does anyone have a win/win plan they can offer to the government??????
Old 02-24-2011, 07:34 PM
n/a

Huh?? What was just said..................
Old 02-24-2011, 09:26 PM
n/a

Default Just an idea to toss out

If the Tea Party members or any other groups or individuals are so anti-immigrant, why stop with signing some petitions that will do no good?

Why not show up with protest signs about "saving American jobs for only Americans" to different worksites in The Villages where workers are building houses? Or maybe signs and shouting that say something like "Go back where you came from".

That might even make the national news. It surely would make local television news. Great publicity for The Villages, too, to show we are a bunch of intolerant bigots.

Instead of replying to my post and calling me an elitist liberal or any other names, show up to the job sites with your protest signs. If you talk the talk - walk the walk. Me? I'm going to the beach tomorrow. The talk I am talking is to be tolerant of others - with the exception of Sarah Palin.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:47 PM
n/a

Default And I thought it was an American citizen issue not limited to

any particular party, race or religion.
Since when did being for or against legal or illegal become a measure of a partisan position?
Illegal is illegal, for most of us anyway.

btk
Old 02-25-2011, 09:55 AM
n/a

And if we have someone willing to do that job for less? I mean, isn't that what privatizing government functions is all about?
Old 02-25-2011, 10:37 AM
n/a

Do these petitioners have any data or factual information that proves there are illegal immigrants working in Sumter County? Has ICE made any arrests that are reported in the Daily Sun? Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 02-25-2011, 11:22 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplong View Post
And if we have someone willing to do that job for less? I mean, isn't that what privatizing government functions is all about?
If they are in this country ILLEGALLY, than they are not even entitled to apply for a job, REGARDLESS if they are willing to do that job for less money.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:23 PM
n/a

Default Appropriate response ceejay.

You want to make a safe bet? That of all the "day laborers" here in TV, most are from South of the border.
Does anybody really think there are none that are here illegally?
Ahhhh, it is 12 o'clock high noon is it day or night?

btk
Old 02-25-2011, 01:13 PM
n/a

Default Day Jobs

Actually, I think most of the laborers you speak of are Guatemalan foreign exchange students
Old 02-25-2011, 02:09 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
If the Tea Party members or any other groups or individuals are so anti-immigrant, why stop with signing some petitions that will do no good?

Why not show up with protest signs about "saving American jobs for only Americans" to different worksites in The Villages where workers are building houses? Or maybe signs and shouting that say something like "Go back where you came from".

That might even make the national news. It surely would make local television news. Great publicity for The Villages, too, to show we are a bunch of intolerant bigots.

Instead of replying to my post and calling me an elitist liberal or any other names, show up to the job sites with your protest signs. If you talk the talk - walk the walk. Me? I'm going to the beach tomorrow. The talk I am talking is to be tolerant of others - with the exception of Sarah Palin.
Wow, thought I'd never say this, but I actually agree with you, tbugs - well, except for the Sarah Palin part and I'm honored to be called an elitist liberal! This whole thread has the high stink of bigotry. Anyone here in The Villages want those laborers jobs? Or maybe you want to travel to Plant City and pick strawberries until your back breaks? We have an ecomony built on the backs of these people who are just wanting to make enough to support the families they had to leave behind. Maybe when a head of lettuce costs $5 and a new home costs 50% more you'll lose the mantra of "illegal is illegal".
Old 02-25-2011, 03:10 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitakk View Post
! This whole thread has the high stink of bigotry
Nitakk...I truly don't consider myself a bigot. I know many immigrants who came here legally and did what they were supposed to do.

I just recently had a conversation with my son who lives in Phoenix. He happens to see both sides of the story. When he was 18 (12 years ago), he traveled with his Catholic Youth Organization (CYO) to a little town in Mexico where they helped to build a Church. It was an eye-opening experience for him...the poverty was abundant and it truly changed his outlook on life.

When I worked in New Jersey, I knew many illegals who would come into our bank to see our Spanish-speaking personal banker. Half the time, they just wanted a translator to read them letters or explain different things that they could not understand. They would sit with him and tell him of the different ways they found to defraud our government and actually laugh about it with Jose. He would get so aggravated with them.

They had fake ID's, stolen social security numbers, etc. A couple of times I pulled up the ss# that they would present me and it would pull up the actual person to whom it really belonged, who just so happened to be customers of ours. And there was absolutely nothing that I could do about it due to the banks' "privacy laws". I wanted to call that person and inform them that someone was using their number. However, I was told that, if I did, I would lose my job. Is that fair? or right?

Would you like them to use your social security number?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.