I am confused State Represenative Franklin Sands Visited The Villages

Old 02-27-2011, 01:50 PM
n/a

Question I am confused State Represenative Franklin Sands Visited The Villages

Saturday February 26th in The Villages, at the Monthly Meeting of the Villages Democratic Club, which was open to ALL Village Residents , Florida state Representative Franklin Sands from The 8th District, addressed more that 200 attendees about what is happening in Tallahassee and how it will affect them.

Florida Representative Marleene O'Toole, who represents The Villages, was invited to attend to address the same issues and respectively declined.

In addition Senator Bill Nelson was represented by his assistant Lisa Marshall, who was able to discuss the attempt by Governor Rick Scott not to implement the Affordable Health Care act in Florida plus the down side not to accept the funding for the High Speed Rail in Florida which would have created more that 22,000 jobs.

We had released press releases to The Daily Sun plus delivered them in person .WE were finally contaed by a representative of The Daily Sunyet yet No one showed up. However US Representative Cliff Stearns speaks on the same day IN The Villages and it makes the front page of the Local section of the Daily Sun.

Please explain why Citizens of Florida who happen to live in The Villages are deprived of vital important information or only provided selected biased articles, by the printed press just because they Live In The Villages.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:53 PM
n/a

This is one of the true downsides to living in TV -- the Daily Sun is run by the developer, who is a staunch conservative Republican. There will be a blurb within a week or so about Rep. Sands and then it will simply be that he visited. An in-depth article won't be forthcoming.

Wished I had known he was coming. I would have been interested in hearing what he had to say.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:36 PM
n/a

All those years living in the D.C. area and having to stomach the leftist Wash.Post, glad to get out of the beltway and see some real news, not propaganda.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:12 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflynn1 View Post
Saturday February 26th in The Villages, at the Monthly Meeting of the Villages Democratic Club, which was open to ALL Village Residents , Florida state Representative Franklin Sands from The 8th District, addressed more that 200 attendees about what is happening in Tallahassee and how it will affect them.

Florida Representative Marleene O'Toole, who represents The Villages, was invited to attend to address the same issues and respectively declined.

In addition Senator Bill Nelson was represented by his assistant Lisa Marshall, who was able to discuss the attempt by Governor Rick Scott not to implement the Affordable Health Care act in Florida plus the down side not to accept the funding for the High Speed Rail in Florida which would have created more that 22,000 jobs.

We had released press releases to The Daily Sun plus delivered them in person .WE were finally contaed by a representative of The Daily Sunyet yet No one showed up. However US Representative Cliff Stearns speaks on the same day IN The Villages and it makes the front page of the Local section of the Daily Sun.

Please explain why Citizens of Florida who happen to live in The Villages are deprived of vital important information or only provided selected biased articles, by the printed press just because they Live In The Villages.
Whatever the reasons for the lack of a news story in the paper promoting an event, there are things you can do to get the word out.

I've seen many flyers at the village mail drop in my village notifying me from everything from lost pets to art exhibits to quilting shows. You could organize with your fellow Democrats to post such a flyer at every mail drop. I gather more people would see that than a notice hidden in the local paper anyway.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:57 PM
n/a

Default Too busy spending ...

Maybe Stearns was busy selling guns in his gunshop or maybe he was busy with his concerns re: liberals with their spending habits and the resulting deficits. On the other hand he might have been busy securing more bacon .. or is it PORK:

Quote:
Ocala: Daily Commercial
Published: Friday, August 20, 2010 at 5:28 p.m.

"To promote transparency, lawmakers were mandated to attach their names to such requests.

Records show that over the past three fiscal years, including 2010, Stearns has secured 46 earmarks totaling $85.8 million."
Old 02-27-2011, 05:28 PM
n/a

Jflynn, if you have been here for any length of time, you shouldn't be confused by the fact that the Sun didn't cover a Democrats event. Every once in a while, you get a token Democratic club meeting announcement but they don't even make an attempt at fairness. I have friends here that ask me all the time if I saw some article or another in the paper, and my answer is always no. Too much of the Daily Sun will rot your brain so I keep my perusing of the local rag to an absolute minimum. I can't even read Doonesbury - geez, I guess they're afraid of a cartoon. And if I get one more Betty Sue is making quilts for all the troops story (or is that afghans for Afhanistan?), I really think I may lost it!
Old 02-27-2011, 05:37 PM
n/a

Default Real news in the Daily Sun?

Sparky,
I, too, am from the DC 'burbs (Silver Spring) and we had a choice of papers there. The Washington Times or the Washington Post were the choices. I read the Times at the office and the Post on the Metro. For the past few years, the quality of reporting in both papers went downhill real fast due to the on-line papers. Both papers gave buyouts to their senior staff. Well, they both made for pretty good mulch.

The Daily Sun has no real news. It is just AP wire stories verbatim. Good change of pace, though, from the Times or Post.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:02 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky-30 View Post
All those years living in the D.C. area and having to stomach the leftist Wash.Post, glad to get out of the beltway and see some real news, not propaganda.
You have got to be kidding. At first, we didn't think we could stomach The Daily Sun, but the local and interest stuff, and sports stuff is ok - you just have to learn not to read Ann what's her face and a couple of others, at least before you've had your second of coffee . . .
Old 02-28-2011, 01:39 AM
n/a

Default Comedy in the Daily Sun

The Sunday issue of the Daily Sun is something I actually wait for each week. Ann Coulter's venom combined with Ollie "by golly" North's know it all attitude gets a good laugh out of me. Ann tries to be funny with her wit but that is only half there. Amazing how many people buy books from these right wing nuts.

Phyllis Schafly is another comedy writer that gets her column in the Daily Sun. Amazing that any American woman would take what she says seriously when you know it was Schafly's effort that effectively killed the Equal Rights Amendment. The picture of her in the column was probably taken 40 years ago as Schafly is now 86 years old.

The letters to the editors are usually from right wingers. One today was about allowing immigrants (legal ones) to vote and to live in their own communities without knowing how to to speak English. Well, as I said, it does provide morning comedy before going out for the morning round of golf.

My advice is to supplement your Daily Sun reading with the New York Times.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:27 AM
n/a

Quote:

I do not understand why you would be confused here. You have a Congressman who represents The Villages and a State Legislator who lives some 255 miles away from the Villages speaking the same day. The Congressman is a senior member of the majority party in the House of Representatives and was crucial in bringing the the new VA Clinic to the Villages rather than to Ocala.

One of these two men actively represents The Villages while the other is concerned with his home district - Broward County. Had Senator Nelson shown up in person, more coverage of the Democratic Club meeting would have been appropriate. In addition, while open to everyone, the meeting of the Villages Democratic Club was just that - a meeting of Democrats living in the Villages. Congressman Stearns' meeting was an open meeting of all of his constituents, regardless of political philosophy.

I agree that The Daily Sun is conservative, but I believe in this case they went to the news rather than a party meeting.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:03 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
Whatever the reasons for the lack of a news story in the paper promoting an event, there are things you can do to get the word out.

I've seen many flyers at the village mail drop in my village notifying me from everything from lost pets to art exhibits to quilting shows. You could organize with your fellow Democrats to post such a flyer at every mail drop. I gather more people would see that than a notice hidden in the local paper anyway.
Unfortunately we were told this was not allowed in the postal stations.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:07 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQMan View Post
I do not understand why you would be confused here. You have a Congressman who represents The Villages and a State Legislator who lives some 255 miles away from the Villages speaking the same day. The Congressman is a senior member of the majority party in the House of Representatives and was crucial in bringing the the new VA Clinic to the Villages rather than to Ocala.

One of these two men actively represents The Villages while the other is concerned with his home district - Broward County. Had Senator Nelson shown up in person, more coverage of the Democratic Club meeting would have been appropriate. In addition, while open to everyone, the meeting of the Villages Democratic Club was just that - a meeting of Democrats living in the Villages. Congressman Stearns' meeting was an open meeting of all of his constituents, regardless of political philosophy.

I agree that The Daily Sun is conservative, but I believe in this case they went to the news rather than a party meeting.
We have a state represenative that lives within the villages who respectively declined to attend the meeting to discuss the same issues. Repesenative Sands did not discuss his distruct he discussed what is happening in Tallahasse that will impact all Floridians. The Lat time I checked "The Villages" is still part of Florida and the people that live in The Villages are Floridians. Senator Nelson ws unable to attend because he was working hard on trying to create 22,000 jobs in the state of Florida.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:44 AM
n/a

Quote:
We have a state represenative that lives within the villages who respectively declined to attend the meeting to discuss the same issues. Repesenative Sands did not discuss his distruct he discussed what is happening in Tallahasse that will impact all Floridians. The Lat time I checked "The Villages" is still part of Florida and the people that live in The Villages are Floridians. Senator Nelson ws unable to attend because he was working hard on trying to create 22,000 jobs in the state of Florida.
J Flynn,

You are right that State Representative Marlene O’Toole declined to attend a partisan meeting (the Democrats of The Villages). I doubt that Representative Sands would have shown up in response to an invitation from The Republicans of The Villages. The Senate was not in session on February 26th and I suspect that Senator Nelson, like Congressman Stearns, was back in Florida. However a meeting in The Villages was simply not high on his priority list – consequently he sent a mid-level staffer. A meeting of the Democratic Club of the Villages is neither more nor less newsworthy than any other club meeting in the Villages. I know you sent out press releases, but that does not make it news.

If you hold a meeting and Senator Nelson decides to attend in person, I can guarantee you that the Daily Sun will be there. Why? Because Senator Nelson coming to The Villages will be news.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:58 AM
n/a

Quote:

This happens again and again. It gets to be a big joke. I no longer expect anything different of the newspaper.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:57 AM
n/a

I actually find the continual harping on the Daily Sun rather humorous !

I assume that those who criticize so much lived somewhere where the newspaper locally had absolutely no political leanings whatsoever. I never lived anywhere like that and lived in many different communities.

I also assume that before moving here, you were concerned about the political leaning of the developer where you lived and expressed your disappointment and chagrin about his/her political leaning as often as possible, and as one poster said about The Villages...one of the downsides about living in The Villages, ie. having an active Republican developer.

Not sure about anyone else but when I was looking for a place to retire, neither the political leaning of the developer, nor the leaning of the newspaper was discussed or looked at, as it meant nothing and I am puzzled as to why it means so much to so many here on this forum. I am puzzled, especially in this day and age, why the local newspaper, a DAILY NEWSPAPER IN A RETIREMENT COMMUNITY, and its political leaning is so important.

Please explain how the political leaning of the developer or the political leaning of the newspaper here affects your daily retirement living to either the good or bad. Has anyone asked you for your voter registration card before you could go anywhere or do anything ? Do folks here in The Villages rely completely on the Daily Sun, A NEWSPAPER IN A RETIREMENT COMMUNITY, as their only source of news ? Did you actually investigate the red or blue of the area you were retiring in and please why do you care at all ?

I do not know of a newspaper in the USA that does not lean one way or another, and those of you who express the political leaning as a downside, should we enter the political leaning of all developers in any literature...like the retirement books touting other places to retire?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.