Insensitive "Gone With the Wind".

Old 08-27-2017, 12:41 PM
n/a

Default Insensitive "Gone With the Wind".

Orpheum theater won’t show ‘Gone With the Wind,’ calling film ‘insensitive’ | WREG.com

It is a 1939 movie that reflects the society and values of that time just when the Second World War started to inflame Europe. Gone With the Wind (1939) - Rotten Tomatoes

That's kind of insensitive to history. The evacuation of Dunkirk was about five months after this movie came out. Battle of Dunkirk - Wikipedia
Old 08-27-2017, 01:16 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
Orpheum theater won’t show ‘Gone With the Wind,’ calling film ‘insensitive’ | WREG.com

It is a 1939 movie that reflects the society and values of that time just when the Second World War started to inflame Europe. Gone With the Wind (1939) - Rotten Tomatoes

That's kind of insensitive to history. The evacuation of Dunkirk was about five months after this movie came out. Battle of Dunkirk - Wikipedia
Disney won't release my favorite Disney production "Song of the South because of the grandfatherly black guy that tells the tale

I loved the old guy and still do .

Corporations are only interested in the bottom line.

I resent their attempt to control and manipulate.

Historic figures, places and events fit their times and should be viewed as people of their times.

To do otherwise is either out of ignorance or hypocrisy

The attempts now to wipe out our past are hypocritical and misdirected.

Personal Best Regards:
Old 08-27-2017, 01:37 PM
n/a

Quote:
Disney won't release my favorite Disney production "Song of the South because of the grandfatherly black guy that tells the tale

Historic figures, places and events fit their times and should be viewed as people of their times.

Personal Best Regards:
I agree.

zip a dee doo dah, zip a dee a. My oh my what a wonderful day........

And although I don't agree with you all of the time, you have my utmost respect and kind feelings.

I don't like anonymity and feel it often fosters meanness and worse.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:39 PM
n/a

Quote:

Now this is just down right STUPID!

How did this film become "insensitive" only now in 2017?

This could only be the work of the:

Politically Correct Police

They might be on the loose again!

COPUFF OUT WEST GO BRONCOS!
Old 08-27-2017, 04:33 PM
n/a

Exclamation Censorship

Quote:
Rubicon

Personal Best Regards:
Well, it is perhaps understandable why a theater in Memphis, Tennessee, (The Orpheum) would decide not to screen Gone With The Wind. The decision, made by their Board, was probably influenced by the fact that the city is populated 62% by Blacks. Undisclosed to us is the probability that the Board was threatened with boycotts, marches, demonstrations, and riots.

Since the death of Walt Disney and the ouster of his brother Roy Disney from the Board of Directors of the Disney Corporation, Disney has been politically correct. The refusal to release Song of The South is disgusting.

One of the things that I really like about Turner Classic Movies is that every movie they run is complete, uncut and uncensored. I'll admit that I sometimes cringe when I see Black actors in stereotyped rolls about the Black experience back in the 1940s and before.

But, I also remember that Hattie McDaniel won an Academy Award for her role as Mammy in Gone With The Wind. Other Black actors of that era were beloved in both Black and White households, based upon their movie roles and radio appearances.

Among these were Eddie "Rochester" Anderson, Bill "Bojangles" Robinson, Lincoln "Stepin Fetchit" Perry, Lena Horne, Ethel Waters, Dorothy Dandridge, Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Butterfly McQueen, Louise Beavers (Beulah), Dooley Wilson (Casablanca), the Nicholas Brothers (tap dancers) and many others who found themselves "typecast" in stereotypical Black roles, but appreciated the financial independence they gained from having the opportunity to entertain others.

One can only assume that the Orpheum board would find Roots objectionable, although it is based upon a book by a Black author who discloses the dark evil of slavery in America from the perspective of an enslaved people.

Censorship stinks.

Carl in Tampa

Old 08-27-2017, 07:06 PM
n/a

I might as well demonstrate my age along with my cynicism or belief in facts.

BOTH movies referenced here were controversial before they were released and especially Song of the South after. This reaction is not new to this era.

Secondly, the issue on Gone With the Wind was caused by reaction ONLINE.

Now have we not read enough recently about BOTS, etc. to know social media is being used to manipulate all of us. I know groups etc. do it to either manifest their feelings OR to make it appear someone is doing this. Who knows, but Gone With The Wind contreversary is fully fueled by online.

Disney has been protective of Soung if the South for many years.

Hell, I recall the movie Blue Denim causing a stir.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:24 PM
n/a

Quote:
I agree.

zip a dee doo dah, zip a dee a. My oh my what a wonderful day........

And although I don't agree with you all of the time, you have my utmost respect and kind feelings.

I don't like anonymity and feel it often fosters meanness and worse.
just a guess but this sounds like Gracie to me! i too think "anonymity" brings out the worst in us...although someone on here always knows that i am chachacha...i would love to meet Personal Best Regards as his posts always make the most sense to me...i feel what is happening in our country now is mass hysteria and no one is trying to stop it!! very dangerous!
Old 08-27-2017, 08:09 PM
n/a

Quote:

Personal Best Regards:
The wiping out of OUR past is what happens when we become the minority. The majority rules because they elect those who govern over us. Get used to more and more of "them" being the important ones. It's already happening...in movies, on TV...the minorities are taking on the leadership roles...with whites serving them.

Quote:
Well, it is perhaps understandable why a theater in Memphis, Tennessee, (The Orpheum) would decide not to screen Gone With The Wind. The decision, made by their Board, was probably influenced by the fact that the city is populated 62% by Blacks. Undisclosed to us is the probability that the Board was threatened with boycotts, marches, demonstrations, and riots.

Since the death of Walt Disney and the ouster of his brother Roy Disney from the Board of Directors of the Disney Corporation, Disney has been politically correct. The refusal to release Song of The South is disgusting.

One of the things that I really like about Turner Classic Movies is that every movie they run is complete, uncut and uncensored. I'll admit that I sometimes cringe when I see Black actors in stereotyped rolls about the Black experience back in the 1940s and before.

But, I also remember that Hattie McDaniel won an Academy Award for her role as Mammy in Gone With The Wind. Other Black actors of that era were beloved in both Black and White households, based upon their movie roles and radio appearances.

Among these were Eddie "Rochester" Anderson, Bill "Bojangles" Robinson, Lincoln "Stepin Fetchit" Perry, Lena Horne, Ethel Waters, Dorothy Dandridge, Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Butterfly McQueen, Louise Beavers (Beulah), Dooley Wilson (Casablanca), the Nicholas Brothers (tap dancers) and many others who found themselves "typecast" in stereotypical Black roles, but appreciated the financial independence they gained from having the opportunity to entertain others.

One can only assume that the Orpheum board would find Roots objectionable, although it is based upon a book by a Black author who discloses the dark evil of slavery in America from the perspective of an enslaved people.

Censorship stinks.

Carl in Tampa

Gee ya think? It's like playing Roots in an all white southern town.

Propaganda...it's all propaganda. If you want to see the REAL blacks...you MUST go to where they live...the inner cities...the MLK Blvds. There you will find "people" who are NOTHING like us. People who HATE you because of what you are...leaps and bounds above them...in every regard minus a few sports...where strength and aggression count.

Come on...Roots is full of BS propaganda. It's full of STORIES. It's like the Bible NT...written MANY years after the fact...embellished, sensationalized...to keep people interested. It's literary license...it's expected.

Quote:
just a guess but this sounds like Gracie to me! i too think "anonymity" brings out the worst in us...although someone on here always knows that i am chachacha...i would love to meet Personal Best Regards as his posts always make the most sense to me...i feel what is happening in our country now is mass hysteria and no one is trying to stop it!! very dangerous!
What is happening...what has happened is...minorities have become the majority...and from here on out...THEY will get their way. Cities are more and more becoming a minority majority and they are electing their own as office holders...as mayors...as councilmen. A sanctuary city IS a sanctuary city because it's a minority majority city. America becoming a minority majority IS VERY dangerous. It WILL lead to it's downfall. There are NO successful minority run countries...not one...we will NOT be the exception.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:48 PM
n/a

Quote:

Censorship stinks.

Carl in Tampa

I lived in Memphis for 5 years back in the late 70's
What you present is true.

Personal Best Regards:
Old 08-29-2017, 07:44 AM
n/a

I have seen "Gone With The Wind" several times. I saw a Youtube video that said the movie had to be toned down from the book before it could be released. I ordered the book and read it then watched the movie again. Quite a difference and worth the time to read it.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:00 AM
n/a

Part of the problem or at a minimum a significant contributor is the media and the politicians ability to take an isolated incident, the Orpheus Theater, and amplify it and distribute it and discuss it as though it were a general condition.

Hence it becomes a national discussion founded in a minority (not race, but does happen to include it) situation.

It is evident that minority and special interest groups get more publicity, action and reaction than the current majority in this country.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:06 AM
n/a

Quote:
Part of the problem or at a minimum a significant contributor is the media and the politicians ability to take an isolated incident, the Orpheus Theater, and amplify it and distribute it and discuss it as though it were a general condition.

Hence it becomes a national discussion founded in a minority (not race, but does happen to include it) situation.

It is evident that minority and special interest groups get more publicity, action and reaction than the current majority in this country.
It's ALL to keep us divided...squabbling minorities in our own little groups.

Tags
history, time, world

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.