Is liberalism a mental illness?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 02-19-2015, 06:58 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Evidently, the OP spends a lot of time on Topix.
First of all, let me be clear. I posted on TOPIX a few months ago when there were folks after one of the regular TOTV posters....that was the only time

Do I read there....sometimes, mostly based on calls from friends of mine up north who read it for enjoyment. They enjoy reading and then trashing me about the folks who live in The Villages. They think, as I do, that it is funny.

Problem I always have had with that garbage dump is that you, and probably...not probably, for sure also post there. They have said some disgusting things, and I posted earlier about the liberals on TOTV, not all liberals...Almost all of the trash posts on TOPIX are from liberal posters on this board. I KNOW who some are but not all.

That is my exposure to TOPIX. It is like watching a car crash and I am usually motivated to to there when I get an email or phone call from a buddy up north. He thinks the names used and the language to be quite unusual.

Thats it......and thanks for validating my earlier comments

PS....And I am NOT THE OP ON THIS THREAD !!!! But I have an inkling who you are....is it not amazing how we all have our own little mannerisms in posting so I need to make that clear to you.
  #17  
Old 02-19-2015, 07:00 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
It must be nice to go through life so blissfully oblivious. Most liberals are very proud Americans and many have served their country with honor, unlike Dick Cheney, Rush Limbaugh, Donald Trump and on and on. They usually realize that America is not perfect and that other countries have found there are better ways of doing some things, although the USA is still the best overall. They also aren't so stupid as to lump all members of a legitimate religion into a group with the most radical handful of that group.
And whomever posted this plays right into the hand of the pre conceived notion of that portion of TOTV that ascribes to liberalism. If only the time and effort used to demean people would be used to discuss actual issues facing this country .
  #18  
Old 02-19-2015, 07:05 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
You didn't quote my post, but it seemed like you were responding to it in the bolder statement. Did you notice that I said conservatives are OFTEN......::. If that does not represent your positions, then you would be one of the ones that are not.
If you will agree that radical on both sides of the aisle are wrong then we are good. Most on here will not agree with that. If you criticize the President, you are a right wing nut job..simple as that or maybe add racist.

And I realize that there are some who think all liberals just want to spend all the money, etc, etc etc.

I rebuke both of those, and my problem at present is the liberals that post on here, not in general.....heck, my liberal friends find this place quite amusing because I have read posts from some on here along with the post to which they are responding. That is my way of getting them back for their verbal abuse
  #19  
Old 02-19-2015, 07:16 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I don't think conservatives are necessarily mentaally ill, but I think they are often narrow-minded, prone to prejudice, selfish, and mean-spirited. Ě
Yowza!

Are you lashing out at any post in particular, or just venting pent up nonsense?
  #20  
Old 02-19-2015, 07:21 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I don't think conservatives are necessarily mentaally ill, but I think they are often narrow-minded, prone to prejudice, selfish, and mean-spirited. Ě
Amusing ... right out of Liberal Indoctrination 101 ... keep it up
  #21  
Old 02-19-2015, 08:45 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Yowza!

Are you lashing out at any post in particular, or just venting pent up nonsense?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
If you will agree that radical on both sides of the aisle are wrong then we are good. Most on here will not agree with that. If you criticize the President, you are a right wing nut job..simple as that or maybe add racist.

And I realize that there are some who think all liberals just want to spend all the money, etc, etc etc.

I rebuke both of those, and my problem at present is the liberals that post on here, not in general.....heck, my liberal friends find this place quite amusing because I have read posts from some on here along with the post to which they are responding. That is my way of getting them back for their verbal abuse
I, personally, agree wholeheartedly that the radicals, or extremes at both ends of the political spectrum are often wrong, misguided, and unreasonable. I am no more a fan of Sharpton than I am of Coulter. I often disagree with the President, but do not think it is reasonable to imply that, as the result of that disagreement, he must be Un-American, or somehow illegitimate. I did not vote for McCain or Romney, but considered voting for each and thought they could potentially have made good chief executives. (McCains choice of running mate made it impossible for me to cast a vote for him). The vitriol toward the president, and liberals in general is what, in my opinion, triggers the seeming off-topic hit and run posts we see, as a way of retaliating. The very topic of this thread is so misguided and obnoxious that it hardly deserves a reasoned response.
  #22  
Old 02-19-2015, 09:08 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Well said
  #23  
Old 02-19-2015, 09:15 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I, personally, agree wholeheartedly that the radicals, or extremes at both ends of the political spectrum are often wrong, misguided, and unreasonable. I am no more a fan of Sharpton than I am of Coulter. I often disagree with the President, but do not think it is reasonable to imply that, as the result of that disagreement, he must be Un-American, or somehow illegitimate. I did not vote for McCain or Romney, but considered voting for each and thought they could potentially have made good chief executives. (McCains choice of running mate made it impossible for me to cast a vote for him). The vitriol toward the president, and liberals in general is what, in my opinion, triggers the seeming off-topic hit and run posts we see, as a way of retaliating. The very topic of this thread is so misguided and obnoxious that it hardly deserves a reasoned response.
I agree with much of what you say, and especially on the title of this thread.

I think this country is scared. Afraid. I, myself have absolutely no problem with someone disagreeing with me on anything. THAT is what keeps us young and learning.

I have passed accolades to the President many times and even on this new forum, have given him credit for the economic crisis fix.

But I ask that you read the serious threads on serious subjects....and I have started a few of them. YES, they start often with criticism of our policy as I see it. Topics such as fear of Iran throughout the world, a thread on the KOCH brothers brought on because I was tired of hearing little barbs all the time and thought is should be discussed, about the world attacking jews worldwide, etc and etc.

Most, if not all were met with POLL numbers, slams on Walker (not sure of why that is the big thing now) and just started a thread tonight simply asking what folks think about any future Iran agreement and the role that congress should play. I gave NO comments, simply asked the question, and the post that came back did not opine on that but very defensivly asked about other treaties as if that meant something.

Those kind of responses, and I admit to it, make me angry at the immaturity that people who live in the same place as me can manifest. I can discuss politics on many national forums but always have prefered to do it with my neighbors and I do it in person and on the phone with both conservative and liberals and THIS FORUM is the ONLY place where this takes place.

One more thing. President Obama is the President of the United States. By his own admission that makes him the biggest target of criticism in the entire world. Yet, any criticism of him on this forum is met again with poll results and it is treated as if it were a football game instead of adults discussing current events.

Folks should have a place to vent, if you will, on any current events and the situation in the world today is scary, I think you will agree. I find nothing racist, biased, radical, or anything wrong with people expressing those fears and lets admit it...this President by ANY AND ALL comparisons is doing things that were never done in a way that was never used. Thus questions and if someone backs him they should come on here in a leveled way and explain WHY they back him.

Said enough, but I do agree that the radical verbal spars from both sides are just a total waste of time.
  #24  
Old 02-19-2015, 11:35 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The entire liberal platform is: confiscate from the successful, and give to anyone that's NOT successful. Let's have 25 separate and duplicating programs for the food/housing/energy/job/emotional/child whatever help-you programs. If you don't feel like working for the next 40 years, no problem, rely on your neighbors!

When the nation first began, we had NONE of these programs and somehow the nation survived. Hmmm… churches, civic organizations...

I would rather starve to DEATH than force my neighbors to pay my way. That's the exact OPPOSITE of liberalism. You know, the whole, "It takes a village to raise a child thing." How about we all take care of our own business?

As far as taxes: why not levy a tax on all citizens? No income tax, just a fair and equal citizen tax on every living being in the country. We all pay the same, regardless of means for a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk. What happens if you can't afford to pay the citizen tax? Well, the same as if you can't afford your current tax bill: PRISON!

Why penalize those that have worked harder to become more educated or more skilled? For the good of society, a socialists wet dream, we should tax the lower educated, the lower skilled, thus the laziest and least productive in society at the HIGHEST rate, not the lowest. This would incentivize their achievement. This would benefit the collective the most.

Similarly, when a sales tax is proposed, I think there should be a tiered sales tax. Those who purchase the MOST, pay the LEAST, as a percentage….as a means to incentivize greater spending and thus greater economic activity.

How could anyone possibly argue with these proposals that would MOST BENEFIT the collective?
  #25  
Old 02-20-2015, 08:37 AM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
The entire liberal platform is: confiscate from the successful, and give to anyone that's NOT successful. Let's have 25 separate and duplicating programs for the food/housing/energy/job/emotional/child whatever help-you programs. If you don't feel like working for the next 40 years, no problem, rely on your neighbors!

When the nation first began, we had NONE of these programs and somehow the nation survived. Hmmm… churches, civic organizations...

I would rather starve to DEATH than force my neighbors to pay my way. That's the exact OPPOSITE of liberalism. You know, the whole, "It takes a village to raise a child thing." How about we all take care of our own business?

As far as taxes: why not levy a tax on all citizens? No income tax, just a fair and equal citizen tax on every living being in the country. We all pay the same, regardless of means for a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk. What happens if you can't afford to pay the citizen tax? Well, the same as if you can't afford your current tax bill: PRISON!

Why penalize those that have worked harder to become more educated or more skilled? For the good of society, a socialists wet dream, we should tax the lower educated, the lower skilled, thus the laziest and least productive in society at the HIGHEST rate, not the lowest. This would incentivize their achievement. This would benefit the collective the most.

Similarly, when a sales tax is proposed, I think there should be a tiered sales tax. Those who purchase the MOST, pay the LEAST, as a percentage….as a means to incentivize greater spending and thus greater economic activity.

How could anyone possibly argue with these proposals that would MOST BENEFIT the collective?

Would you attempt to speak for liberals as to what they want? You have absolutely no clue as demonstrated by your post. Does being an ultra right wing conservative give you special knowledge or insight into what others think or actually invision for OUR country? No, and for the record I have no clue what you want, but I do know what you have demonstrated for six years, and that makes us sad!
  #26  
Old 02-20-2015, 09:15 AM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Would you attempt to speak for liberals as to what they want? You have absolutely no clue as demonstrated by your post. Does being an ultra right wing conservative give you special knowledge or insight into what others think or actually invision for OUR country? No, and for the record I have no clue what you want, but I do know what you have demonstrated for six years, and that makes us sad!
I believe this party affiliation "thing" is being carried to a fault. Some posts like the one above give the impression that left or right, conservative or liberal and democrats or republicans are different species from different planets that could in no way understand what the other wants or needs.

How about approaching an issue the old fashioned way? How about we figure out what we AMERICANS want or need?

Under the primise usually seen in a political environment when there is a community need we should be dividing the room into democrats and republicans and God help us if there is a smattering of other than those two.
Now just how effective would that be?

Sounds stupid right?

Then why is it OK to do so when discussing the needs of the country.

Some how or another we have to get back to the fact the reality of everyday life for most of us is not politically driven.

The expectation seems to be to treat politics like sports and get behind one team or another. With one exception. Sports fans seem to have found a way to co-exist with the opposition.

This need for win-lose....and tearing down anybody or any group that does not align with one or anothers beliefs is total and absolute BS. That is not how life is lived.

And we all know that no matter how we pull together or not there will always be a radical element that churns the system. They are the miirity representation of any group. Yet we allow such radicals to dictate how we live life. I say BS to that as well.

I have never ever attended any organization, club or society or group or church or whatever where there was a need to know the party affiliation of each other to perform.

Let us try to not sucumb to the disease that currently afflicts politics in general. That of shying away from viewing the merits of people or projects or proposals and instead resort to dissing, sniping, degrading, name calling.

How about demanding politicans spend their time educating us about them. And not the tearing down and dirt digging of the other guy.

As for the radicals....well just look at the middle east and see what happens when a minority group pushes the majority around....including slaughtering and killing of innocents. Not the same? Yes it is. We just haven't devolved to the point of drawing blood to win anything....yet.
  #27  
Old 02-20-2015, 09:59 AM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

This post doesn't deserve a reasonable response, but nonetheless, I will attempt one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
The entire liberal platform is: confiscate from the successful, and give to anyone that's NOT successful. Let's have 25 separate and duplicating programs for the food/housing/energy/job/emotional/child whatever help-you programs. If you don't feel like working for the next 40 years, no problem, rely on your neighbors! You obviously know nothing of what most liberals desire. Liberals, in general, want fairness and a fair shot for everyone willing to work for it to achieve the American Dream. They favor programs such as head start, tuition grants, and job training, all of which offer low income people the ability to better themselves. Food stamps, ADA, unemployment benefits, ETC. are meant as a safety net for those attempting to get back on their feet. Are there abuses - unquestionably, but there are also abuses of corporate policy, Medicare fraud, market manipulation, farm subsidies, etc. Liberals tend to believe that giving people opportunities will pay dividends economically ultimately.

When the nation first began, we had NONE of these programs and somehow the nation survived. Hmmm… churches, civic organizations... A true conservative - let's return to the good old days of the eighteenth century. Yup, slavery, life expectancy less than forty, low class people living like animals, children starving, women commonly dying in childbirth - sounds like nirvana!
I would rather starve to DEATH than force my neighbors to pay my way. That's the exact OPPOSITE of liberalism. You know, the whole, "It takes a village to raise a child thing." How about we all take care of our own business? This is pure bull$&^+, no one would choose starvation over help from their neighbors. This is dillusional rhetoric from someone who, like me, has been blessed to never require help.

As far as taxes: why not levy a tax on all citizens? No income tax, just a fair and equal citizen tax on every living being in the country. We all pay the same, regardless of means for a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk. What happens if you can't afford to pay the citizen tax? Well, the same as if you can't afford your current tax bill: PRISON! great idea! Bill gates and Warren Buffet pay exactly the same amount as an unemployed disabled veteran! Why hasn't anyone thought of that before? Plus the massive job creation effort to build and staff all those new debtors prisons. BTW, where would the money for those new civic buildings come from?
Why penalize those that have worked harder to become more educated or more skilled? For the good of society, a socialists wet dream, we should tax the lower educated, the lower skilled, thus the laziest and least productive in society at the HIGHEST rate, not the lowest. This would incentivize their achievement. This would benefit the collective the most. This has to be young-in-cheek.

Similarly, when a sales tax is proposed, I think there should be a tiered sales tax. Those who purchase the MOST, pay the LEAST, as a percentage….as a means to incentivize greater spending and thus greater economic activity.

How could anyone possibly argue with these proposals that would MOST BENEFIT the collective?
Okay, if you are a troll and presented it as satire, you got me to bite. If, on the other hand, you believe what you've presented I hate to have to share the atmosphere with you.
  #28  
Old 02-20-2015, 10:11 AM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
This post doesn't deserve a reasonable response, but nonetheless, I will attempt one.



Okay, if you are a troll and presented it as satire, you got me to bite. If, on the other hand, you believe what you've presented I hate to have to share the atmosphere with you.
One of the consequences of anonymity on this board is the potential for people to make posts posing as someone having incredible, radical and volatile opinions that stir passions but are totally fabricated. They can then sit back and enjoy the carnage.
  #29  
Old 02-20-2015, 10:14 AM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Would you attempt to speak for liberals as to what they want? You have absolutely no clue as demonstrated by your post. Does being an ultra right wing conservative give you special knowledge or insight into what others think or actually invision for OUR country? No, and for the record I have no clue what you want, but I do know what you have demonstrated for six years, and that makes us sad!

I, for one, would like to hear from a knowledgeable liberal, WHAT it is they do want ... what they envision as you put it. After that, I would like to hear HOW they believe it could be done. Maybe in a new thread if not this one.
  #30  
Old 02-20-2015, 10:20 AM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
One of the consequences of anonymity on this board is the potential for people to make posts posing as someone having incredible, radical and volatile opinions that stir passions but are totally fabricated. They can then sit back and enjoy the carnage.
Agree ... and another reason to eliminate the "Guest" feature which, which however positive the intent, does not seem, in practice, to offer that much benefit to the forum. The forum is interesting, and would be more so and probably result in higher traffic, without "Guest" etc
 

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 PM.