Link it. DO NOT cut and paste it.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:46 PM
n/a

Default Link it. DO NOT cut and paste it.

I was chatting with a friend about my difficulties on the forum with
some people posting copyrighted material. I received this message
in return.

I am stealing it in its entirety. Really, I was given permission to
use it as I please, and therein lies the difference between
copyright violation and theft.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/plagiarism

Link it. DO NOT cut and paste it.

When a poster cuts and pastes published articles, it comes off as
plagiarism because it appears that the poster is trying to pass off
the work as his own. Responsible research does not violate copyright.
Responsible writing of any kind does not violate copyright. That is
plagiarism.

As posters on TOTV, please be sure you are aware of the correct way to
cite your sources. I realize that awareness is the key.

It is simple.

Link it. Do not cut and paste it.

Be respectful of copyright. You would not like it if someone were
taking your words and making those words appear as their own.

That explains why I delete posts that are a cut and paste from the
published source. Cite your source by simply posting the link. That
way there will be no appearance of plagiarism. Be respectful in how
you handle published words that belong to someone else.

Link it. Do not cut and paste it.

I do not know how many ways or how many times I need to say this.

Please feel free to post any questions here and I will be happy to
answer them.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:59 PM
n/a

Can you use part of the link to accent before the link...for example below...

"A US Airways pilot guided his jetliner into the frigid Hudson River after a flock of birds knocked out both its engines just after takeoff Thursday, and all 155 people on board were pulled to safety as the plane slowly sank. "We had a miracle on 34th Street. I believe now we have had a miracle on the Hudson," Gov. David Paterson said."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/plane_in_river
Old 01-15-2009, 08:34 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Can you use part of the link to accent before the link...for example below...

"A US Airways pilot guided his jetliner into the frigid Hudson River after a flock of birds knocked out both its engines just after takeoff Thursday, and all 155 people on board were pulled to safety as the plane slowly sank. "We had a miracle on 34th Street. I believe now we have had a miracle on the Hudson," Gov. David Paterson said."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/plane_in_river

In the particular case you cited here, you have selected a statement made by a public official in a public place to the public. You, or anybody else can quote it. However, on the other hand, if you had selected a "lead in" written by a reporter...."......150 people are safe as the result of quick thinking on the part of a US Airways pilot, who ditched his Airbus in the Hudson river after striking a flock of pigeons," that would be plagiarism.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:40 PM
n/a

We don't expect posters to be expert in copyright law. None of us are.

We are only trying to be good citizens and keep corporate lawyers away. If somebody violates copyright and we don't stop it, believe me we will get letters, then warnings, then legal action if it continues.

You will never get in trouble for using a little of a work under the fair use portion of the copyright law, but you must attribute it. In our case, we want you to link to the original work if the material is from the internet.

Now, how do you determine what is copyrighted?

It is quite easy. Everything written or published is copyrighted the instant it is created. If a work carried the copyright notice, such as the (c) 2009, or the "c" inside the circle, or if it doesn't, it is still copyrighted.

The next step in copyrighting is registration with the Library of Congress. If the work carries the copyright notice and is registered and you steal it, you face treble damages when you lose the case.

We don't want to pay damages over copyright infringement. Authors are entitled to credit and to any revenue resulting from their work. In the case of the internet, the revenue could come from advertisements appearing on the original web page or from subscriptions to the web site. If a reader is kept away from the ads, the publisher can make a case for losing revenue.

Then the publishers' lawyers will come searching for the copyright thief. And I suspect the original poster (that would be the member here) will be in the line of fire and risks losing money.

This all sounds very scary. It isn't. Just don't steal.

Post, paraphrase, link, and have fun. Just don't steal.

I suspect we have some greater legal minds here who know copyright far better than I do. If you do, don't be reluctant to contribute to this, or to correct it.

Here is a little side light, as if you haven't had enough to read yet.

It is the same with trademarks. Use the word Coke in lower case referring to a soft drink or cola and here come the lawyers. Using coke for the street drug is O.K. with everybody. Coca Cola has people out there reading everything, yes everything, and those readers inform Coca Cola when Coke appear lower case. Then the lawyers write us letters.

Companies do that to diligently protect their registered trade marks. If they don't they will lose them. Some that were trademarks and that have been lost include aspirin, cellophane, crock pot and escalator. There are a lot. They were used commonly so long that they became generic.

One closer to us here is Realtor. We talk about lot here about buying and selling real estate. You can write "real estate agent" or "real estate broker," but if you write "Realtor" it must be capitalized.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:16 PM
n/a

I tryed to put a link in for a pet door and got a message that it was to be reviewed??????
Old 08-04-2009, 02:07 PM
n/a

Our software, for its own reasons, holds some links for us to review.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:32 PM
n/a

Is this policy still in effect? As we cannot link to the it shall not be named website I see a very frequent poster has taken to reposting entire articles from that source.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:51 AM
n/a

Why on earth is this posted in the "political" forum?????
Old 02-07-2016, 08:11 AM
n/a

https://janefriedman.com/permissions/

This might help clarify.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:11 AM
n/a

It is in the political forum because that is where the moderators have placed the thread. Not clear why. It would seem the #4 post is from the moderator although everyone's name is guest here. #4 states the rules for this website and the inquiry was whether those rules are ongoing as it was posted in 2009.
I have seen two recent threads, not political, which begin

Quote:
The following cut and pasted from the online news;
Sumter County Sheriff's Office warning residents about nomadic criminal threat
Burglars caught with Polish Passports

followed by the entire article from villages dash news dot com. Both this site and that are commercial enterprises which derive their income from sales of advertising whose cost is based on users. It would seem clear that possible loss of views to the news dot com site is the reason we are prohibited from linking to that site... TOTV doesn't want us going there. So I am asking if the moderator/owner of TOTV is going to allow content from that site to be wholesale copied onto this one or it still feels that

Quote:
If somebody violates copyright and we don't stop it, believe me we will get letters, then warnings, then legal action if it continues.
applies. Frankly I am surprised that this user wasn't taught better by her mother not to steal other people's work. <g>
Old 02-07-2016, 09:16 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
It is in the political forum because that is where the moderators have placed the thread. Not clear why. It would seem the #4 post is from the moderator although everyone's name is guest here. #4 states the rules for this website and the inquiry was whether those rules are ongoing as it was posted in 2009.
I have seen two recent threads, not political, which begin

Sumter County Sheriff's Office warning residents about nomadic criminal threat
Burglars caught with Polish Passports

followed by the entire article from villages dash news dot com. Both this site and that are commercial enterprises which derive their income from sales of advertising whose cost is based on users. It would seem clear that possible loss of views to the news dot com site is the reason we are prohibited from linking to that site... TOTV doesn't want us going there. So I am asking if the moderator/owner of TOTV is going to allow content from that site to be wholesale copied onto this one or it still feels that

applies. Frankly I am surprised that this user wasn't taught better by her mother not to steal other people's work. <g>
That does seem to violate fair use. Not the jokes though which seem to be all over the place on the Internet and often have no known author.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.