This Memorial Day Weekend let`s pause to remember .....

Old 05-29-2016, 09:25 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Why don't some of those who served in Vietnam tell us the reasons that the USA needed to be in that war - and how the freedom of America depended on it?
Just about everybody I knew who ended in in Vietnam were either drafted or enlisted with promises from the recruiter to keep them out. No one that came back felt that we should have been there. In fact, very little was said.

As a baby boomer growing up Memorial Day was about WWII and to a lesser extent WWI.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:18 AM
n/a

Quote:
Why don't some of those who served in Vietnam tell us the reasons that the USA needed to be in that war - and how the freedom of America depended on it?
Unless they were high ranking or had particular jobs and can't talk about it...they knew nothing of why we were there more than anyone else.

Quote:
No-not mindless - These are patriotic men who I admire and appreciate.

And that's what always makes me angry. They should not have not been deceived in the first place.

"The deeper lesson of the Tonkin Gulf episode is how a group of senior national security officials can seek determinedly through hardball and even illicit tactics to advance a war agenda, even knowing that the President of the United States is resisting it."
How LBJ Was Deceived on Gulf of Tonkin – Consortiumnews

I don't feel sorry for LBJ. He didn't have the balls to do what he wanted to do. That doesn't sound like him, does it?

I'm sorry it wasn't stopped much sooner. I'm sorry if you also lost loved ones.
You think this was the first time governments deceived the people to go to war? How about ALL of them... WWI, over some unknown duke? Nope. WWII, Pearl Harbor. We knew it was coming, we did nothing as an excuse to get into the war. Iraq, WMDs. Nothing found, it was a ruse to get us involved in another money making "war".

Our leaders are anything but...they're greedy psychopaths.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:19 AM
n/a

This Thread is NOT a discussion about the justification of the war . It is about the young men who did serve who were taunted , spit upon and attacked as soon as they set foot back in the USA .
Anytime I have watched a program about the returning soldiers or spoken with one of them they universally recall being shocked and extremely hurt over the attacks that took place in those airports on the West Coast .
The Liberals on this site as do Liberals everywhere are quick to obfuscate the subject . It`s about young men age 20 + who returned to be attacked , insulted and driven to tears by the misplaced aggression of Lefties .
Old 05-29-2016, 10:36 AM
n/a

Quote:
This Thread is NOT a discussion about the justification of the war . It is about the young men who did serve who were taunted , spit upon and attacked as soon as they set foot back in the USA .
Anytime I have watched a program about the returning soldiers or spoken with one of them they universally recall being shocked and extremely hurt over the attacks that took place in those airports on the West Coast .
The Liberals on this site as do Liberals everywhere are quick to obfuscate the subject . It`s about young men age 20 + who returned to be attacked , insulted and driven to tears by the misplaced aggression of Lefties .
I agree. Anyone here who taunted, spit upon and attacked the military as soon as they set foot back in the USA should apologise.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:47 AM
n/a

To all her served no matter the conflict or during a time of relative Peace : I deeply thank-you for your service and all that you endured .
Old 05-29-2016, 11:18 AM
n/a

This is worth watching. I know Memorial Day is to honor the dead, but this is for the living heroes.

Soaring Valor (Short Film) - YouTube
Old 05-29-2016, 11:29 AM
n/a

Quote:
This is worth watching. I know Memorial Day is to honor the dead, but this is for the living heroes.

Soaring Valor (Short Film) - YouTube
I was doing pretty good until they got to the letters.
I wish I could have taken my Dad there. I have been there twice. It's worth going to New Orleans even if that's the only place you visit. thank-you
Old 05-29-2016, 11:49 AM
n/a

Quote:
Yes, the draft resisters of the Vietnam War had the moral courage to demonstrate against an unjust war and the courage to evade the draft by going to Europe or Canada.

They are the ones with strong courage and a belief in freedom - not the SHEEP who went to the slaughterhouse.

Of course, we should honor the fallen troops on Memorial Day.

Respect the ones who made a difference to end the Vietnam War by resisting. They have the true courage.
If you were awake back then you would realize that all the Draft Dodgers really wanted was to hang out and smoke Pot all day every day . They rarely attended any classes and then organized to shut down the school at Finals time demanding that everyone get at least a final grade of " Pass " .
Old 05-29-2016, 11:52 AM
n/a

Quote:
Just about everybody I knew who ended in in Vietnam were either drafted or enlisted with promises from the recruiter to keep them out. No one that came back felt that we should have been there. In fact, very little was said.

As a baby boomer growing up Memorial Day was about WWII and to a lesser extent WWI.
Originally Memorial Day was about honoring those who died in the Civil War . It was originally called " Remembrance Day " .
Old 05-29-2016, 12:01 PM
n/a

We used to celebrate with a town parade. The kids, like me, would jazz up our bikes with balloons hitting the spokes and ride along the sides of the parade. After the parade the fire department took over the Acme parking lot and gave out hot dogs and beer. There was a band on a wooden bandstand and a few speeches. Those were the days my friend, I wished they'd............................................ ..............
Old 05-29-2016, 12:02 PM
n/a

My father was a career soldier -- was a mustang, fought and was wounded in WWII, fought in Korea, died as a full bird at age 36. My brother served three tours in Vietnam. He hated that war, never believed in it but felt he could save some lives by returning time after time. He applauded those that fought against Nam here. Cassius Clay/Muhummad Ali was greatly admired by my brother for having the courage to stand behind his convictions. He had less respect for those who went to Canada, although he understood their reasons. In between tours, he was known to take part in protests. I was the college student who refused to partake, feeling it showed disrespect to my father and brother although I wholeheartedly agreed that Vietnam was an obscenity.

Yes, my brother was spat on and shoved going through airports while in uniform. His attitude was that the folks abusing him were not angry at him but angry at the war and the system. He got lovely discounts when he flew in uniform and took the abuse with a huge grain of salt. I met him at both LAX and SFO many times. Not once did I see a soldier in tears because of poor treatment. I did see one or two with tears in their eyes just happy to be home. I'd like to think our military are a little thought than that, especially since most knew they'd be walking into a maelstrom when they got off the plane.

So, like Memorial Days in the past, I'll honor my father and brother and all those who served. I'll say a special prayer for my mother and all military brats. Their tours may have been more difficult than those who actually served. Sitting, waiting and praying is frequently harder than doing.

And thank you so much for The Soaring Eagles video. I did cry (a lot).

Red
Old 05-29-2016, 12:07 PM
n/a

58,000 Americans killed and no one on this forum has given a good reason why the USA was involved in an Asian civil war.

And yet, there are posters calling the draft resisters "cowards". If there was no danger to our country, there was no reason to be involved, was there?

Let's hear some valid reasons why 58,000 Americans had to be killed in an Asian civil war.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:34 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Memorial Day was about honoring those who died in the Civil War . It was originally called " Remembrance Day " .
My error !

Today " Memorial Day " was originally called
" Decoration Day ". It was a day set aside to honor all of those who died in the Civil War .
The practice was to visit graves of the fallen and place flowers on their resting place .
What we now call " Veterans Day " was originally established to honor those who gave their lives in WW-I and was called " Remembrance Day " .
Old 05-29-2016, 01:38 PM
n/a

Quote:
58,000 Americans killed and no one on this forum has given a good reason why the USA was involved in an Asian civil war.

And yet, there are posters calling the draft resisters "cowards". If there was no danger to our country, there was no reason to be involved, was there?

Let's hear some valid reasons why 58,000 Americans had to be killed in an Asian civil war.
What difference does it make? Libtards are inherently disrespectful cowards and never listen to anyone that disagrees with them anyway. They just bait and scream louder than anyone else so you can't be heard. If you think that it is better to fight wars over here than overseas, then you are much more stupid than I give you credit for. But, I will give you the benefit of doubt and agree that your Democrat president should have thought things out better before entering into the conflict, knowing how bad the French fared when they occupied Vietnam. Liberals are famous for starting fights and then blaming the Republicans. I believe it was Nixon that ended our involvement in Vietnam. Hmm, and he was a Republican.

Since we are the power that attempts to balance the world scale, we sometimes get cries for help from other countries. If we are given the responsibility of greatness in this world, we should not ignore the rest of the world. We also give billions of dollars in foreign aid every year. Are you against that also? If so, just what kind of libtard are you? I already know that liberals are cowards, but you brag about being concerned with the plight of the little guy. Perhaps that is all a sham, a lie?
Old 05-29-2016, 02:40 PM
n/a

Quote:
Perhaps that is all a sham, a lie?
Let's just say it is. It will save you a lot of writing.

Tags
lifetime, pause, men, actions, young

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.