USA and Human Rights

Old 02-13-2015, 07:19 PM
n/a

Default USA and Human Rights

All of my life and that covers more years than I care to admit to, the USA has always been a defender of human rights all over the world. We have criticized and sanctioned and attacked and bombed so many countries simply because of their human rights practices.

Three years ago, there were published reports about Syria shooting children in the streets which we, as a country decided to simply ignore.

I just watched a report by Richard Engel on MSNBC and he reported about a village in Iraq where ISIS attacked. All the men..he estimated about 500 were taken out to a field where they were all shot in the back.

The women and young girls were then auctioned off between the victorious ISIL folks and used as slaves and obviously raped and terrorized.

To imagine that is just beyond anything I can imagine.

What has happened to us ? Is it just too much for us ? Are there simply just too many incidents for us ?

This stuff is happening not only in Iraq and Syria....Africa, Turkey, Libya.

How does it ever get stopped...we seem to want to pull away instead of defend. I am not a hawk, trust me..in NO way, but how does the world simply ignore all this.

I am just sad and confused any more. We are supposed to be the most powerful nation in the world.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:33 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
All of my life and that covers more years than I care to admit to, the USA has always been a defender of human rights all over the world. We have criticized and sanctioned and attacked and bombed so many countries simply because of their human rights practices.

Three years ago, there were published reports about Syria shooting children in the streets which we, as a country decided to simply ignore.

I just watched a report by Richard Engel on MSNBC and he reported about a village in Iraq where ISIS attacked. All the men..he estimated about 500 were taken out to a field where they were all shot in the back.

The women and young girls were then auctioned off between the victorious ISIL folks and used as slaves and obviously raped and terrorized.

What has happened to us ? Is it just too much for us ? Are there simply just too many incidents for us ?

How does it ever get stopped...we seem to want to pull away instead of defend. I am not a hawk, trust me..in NO way, but how does the world simply ignore all this.

I am just sad and confused any more. We are supposed to be the most powerful nation in the world.
The world is full of evil ... and you cite some good examples.

Sophisticated types pooh pooh this ... but it's true.

Evil needs to be crushed ...<--- read that last word again.

US power needs to be used when it's in our national interest but it's always seemingly constrained, as in the current non-strategy against ISIS. Defeating ISIS militarily would be rather simple actually but you need the will and the leadership first. Currently, we have neither.

Now it's a question of how many outrages will we tolerate until we are finally attacked at home and then do something. That's pretty much the Obama strategy so far, couple with blaming someone else when it happens.

And, oh by the way, remember most of the evil you cite has NOTHING to do with Islam. No, no, no ...nothing like that. We must all keep repeating that to ourselves until we can pretend to believe it without laughing.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:48 PM
n/a

Quote:

Maybe because we have exhibited in recent years to be too preoccupied with the current agenda that we have slipped maybe still being the most powerful nation in the world but have demonstrated an unwillingness to use it as we once did.

Based on the news of the last couple of days be sure to add Afhhanistan to the list as well. It has been more important to withdraw troops to meet a political agenda, than to re-assess and defend what we have so valiantly fought for these last few years.

And then again yesterday where the commander in chief is already commiting to end the struggle in 3 years. Since when did we begin conducting warfare with a schedule? We are the only ones.

So more to the point of the post. Those who should fear us no longer do. They know exactly what we will not do....and plan and act accordingly.

We are the fabled paper tiger.

Unlike the king of Jordan who went home and 24 hours later began bombing those who attacked his country. We will continue to make speeches about how upset we are at the latest trajedies....and that we will seek out and destroy....yadda...yadda....yadda. And then sit around and discuss it for the next 36 weeks while golfing and taking Valentine breaks and stupid selfie videos.

The enemies that would kill us are serious and making headway. That should be yard stick enough.

I used to say Obama will not take a stand until we have a major incident like 9/11. After the last 2 years I now doubt tha would change his stance.

I too am sad at the innocent loss of life while we play.
I am also very sad at the deterioration of the attitudes of our great country.
Right and wrong no longer play the role it once did in our lives.
Illegal immigration is the shining example of that.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:58 PM
n/a

It just scares me because I NEVER want to be someone who beats the war drums. I saw first hand Vietnam....I hate war. But the world just seems to be exploding with terror and hate.

It was a bit surprising to hear from Diane Feinstein that phrase that is always mocked

"Thursday on MSNBC’s “Andrea Mitchell Reports,” in discussing Obama’s ISIS war powers request, Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) said ISIS has become a “dominant threat to peace in the world today,” and, “We’re either going to fight them there or fight them here.”

Feinstein said, “They [ISIS] are a dominant threat to peace in the world today. I really believe this. There’s never been a time when there are more threats to the United States than there is now. So as I said once before, we’re either going to fight them there or fight them here. And I believe that. So how the United States worked out its role, the kind of leadership it provides in terms of command presence, in terms of providing equipment, bombing runs, special operations that can do a number of different things on the ground is important. And making that legal, in terms of an authorization to use military force, I think is critical.”

I have no idea if she is right.....I do know that the countries NOT being terrorized is narrowing.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:14 PM
n/a

It really does seem as if we are running out of room to run.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:07 PM
n/a

Quote:
It really does seem as if we are running out of room to run.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:08 AM
n/a

Quote:
WOW - just cannot believe this post. I see nothing funny about this discussion - NOTHING!!
Old 02-14-2015, 09:18 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
wow - just cannot believe this post. I see nothing funny about this discussion - nothing!!
bait!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.