Notre Dame graduates walk out on Mike Pence commencement speech

Old 05-22-2017, 08:44 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
I attended my nephew's college graduation yesterday and was pleasantly surprised by the commencement speech given by CNN host, Dr. Fareed Zakaria. I was bracing myself for the usual liberal talking points and anti-Trump rhetoric, but instead thoroughly enjoyed his speech as he attempted to bring both sides together. He denounced the protests and walk-outs on other campuses as being just the opposite of how he hoped that students would react when confronted with someone with an opposing viewpoint. Instead, he encouraged the graduates to listen to those viewpoints with respect and an expectancy of learning something by listening to those who think differently. I found myself, instead of looking for the closest exit, actually glued to my seat. By the crowd response, I would say it was a very well received speech.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

IrisB52 is going to have to add Zakaria to her hate list...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2017, 09:00 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockface View Post
If even half these reports are true...

I get a kick out of folks...
What are your thoughts on John Burton chanting "Fvck Trump? Pelosi laughing it up in the background...Classy bunch there!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2017, 09:20 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
I attended my nephew's college graduation yesterday and was pleasantly surprised by the commencement speech given by CNN host, Dr. Fareed Zakaria. I was bracing myself for the usual liberal talking points and anti-Trump rhetoric, but instead thoroughly enjoyed his speech as he attempted to bring both sides together. He denounced the protests and walk-outs on other campuses as being just the opposite of how he hoped that students would react when confronted with someone with an opposing viewpoint. Instead, he encouraged the graduates to listen to those viewpoints with respect and an expectancy of learning something by listening to those who think differently. I found myself, instead of looking for the closest exit, actually glued to my seat. By the crowd response, I would say it was a very well received speech.
Fareed Zakaria - Wikipedia

Looks like a bright man. Graduations though look like the wrong place to bring a real controversial speaker into talk about some subject. It is supposed to be a celebration of these students' achievements and not about some institution making points with some politician.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:42 PM
n/a

Quote:
Fareed Zakaria - Wikipedia

Looks like a bright man. Graduations though look like the wrong place to bring a real controversial speaker into talk about some subject. It is supposed to be a celebration of these students' achievements and not about some institution making points with some politician.
I agree. However, this has been going on for some time now. My son graduated college in 2009 and the keynote speakers were Chris Mathews and Cornel West.........talk about controversial. We were not able to make it to his graduation due to a death in the family. I think it was God's way of saving me from having to sit through that.Ugh!
Old 05-23-2017, 09:32 AM
n/a

Default Only a fool

Quote:
Pence blindly supports a lying, narcissistic sociopathic scumbag.... and was treated like all those in that same category should be.

Live with it...snowflake.

Deepest Sincere Wishes:
Only a fool thinks everyone who does not agree with them is a fool.

To take your view to the next level, do you also support book burning? The animals of the democratic party, some paid by Soros as people we should be proud of. SADLY, CLEARLY YOU DO.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:46 AM
n/a

Have any of you defending the walkout of the students even bothered to LISTEN to his speech? It and many, many others are all on YouTube. I suggest you listen particularly to those of Presidents Reagan (ND 1981) and Obama (ND 2009) (Howard U 2016), as well. You might be surprised.

They claim it was a part of free speech for them to do this. What happened to his right to free speech? Do they get sole rights to freedom of speech along with their diplomas? I thought the Constitution granted that right to all Americans, not just ND graduates. They also said they were "standing up for their moral and ethical standards". Why is he then trashed, yes trashed and disrespected, because he stands up for his moral and ethical standards? Is this all not the perfect definition and example of "double standard"?

There is NO excuse for disrespect and rudeness. I don't always agree with what our preachers say, but I certainly do not get up and walk out during their sermon. I don't agree with what former President Obama had to say much of the time, but I would never just get up and walk out on his speech because of it. I certainly wouldn't PLAN a mass walkout without even bothering to hear what he had to say.

Whether they choose to acknowledge it or not, these students do not have all the answers. They are about to embark on their life's journey and will soon find that there will be many things with which they do not agree....especially out in the workforce. They will soon find that pretty much no one starts at the top just because they have an education from a prestigious university.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:02 AM
n/a

Quote:
Have any of you defending the walkout of the students even bothered to LISTEN to his speech? It and many, many others are all on YouTube. I suggest you listen particularly to those of Presidents Reagan (ND 1981) and Obama (ND 2009) (Howard U 2016), as well. You might be surprised.

They claim it was a part of free speech for them to do this. What happened to his right to free speech? Do they get sole rights to freedom of speech along with their diplomas? I thought the Constitution granted that right to all Americans, not just ND graduates. They also said they were "standing up for their moral and ethical standards". Why is he then trashed, yes trashed and disrespected, because he stands up for his moral and ethical standards? Is this all not the perfect definition and example of "double standard"?

There is NO excuse for disrespect and rudeness. I don't always agree with what our preachers say, but I certainly do not get up and walk out during their sermon. I don't agree with what former President Obama had to say much of the time, but I would never just get up and walk out on his speech because of it. I certainly wouldn't PLAN a mass walkout without even bothering to hear what he had to say.

Whether they choose to acknowledge it or not, these students do not have all the answers. They are about to embark on their life's journey and will soon find that there will be many things with which they do not agree....especially out in the workforce. They will soon find that pretty much no one starts at the top just because they have an education from a prestigious university.
I relate to much of your post. Besides that, you will not like what I will say. Please do not belabor Obama, Clinton, etc.

What we needed in this last election, and if you believe the posts on here you would agree, but what we needed more than a message of ANTI everything, we needed a Uniter.

Until this administrations just tries, as promised to bring us together, and stops denegrating everything American, and asks for cooperation instead of accusing. If the administration would begin to tell the truth, instead of blatant lying.

If those things happen, this activity will decrease. Always will be ideological differences, but now the language from our leader is deceptive and hateful, UNLESS you agree in total.

You speak to this REACTION, but refuse to even acknowledge the reason for. The current administration simply blames others...media, court system, electoral system, intelligence community. How much anti everything American do you expect people to accept ?

There will be no improvement in this country until our current leader recognizes he is not always correct...until he recognizes we respect TRUTH not deception and that a good leader accept truth.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:02 AM
n/a

Quote:

You can't argue with liberals...women...and minorities. Facts don't matter.

Most of those kids who walked out are going nowhere. The boys will live at home with a menial job or "disability", the girls may marry and go from living off mom and dad to living off her new husband. They expect a perfect world and want someone else to do it for them.

They should have just not attended...it's not like "you must be present to win". Want to make a statement to the school...refuse to attend...don't disrupt...that's rude.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:33 AM
n/a

My question would be "Who was in charge of inviting the commencement speakers"?

A VP like Pence would be fine IF he steered completely clear of political messages. Of course, that did not happen. His message should have been congratulations and wishing them well on the challenges to come.

Inviting Ann Coulter to Berkley was just as strange. An ultra conservative speaking at an ultra liberal university is not a good mix.

What would the seniors at Liberty Universitiy have done if their commencement speaker was Al Sharpton? No one would have attended the program.

Yes, students should think for themselves at college but administration workers at colleges have to think about reactions to speakers when inviting them.

Don is right when he says being rude is wrong.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:22 PM
n/a

Quote:
I relate to much of your post. Besides that, you will not like what I will say. Please do not belabor Obama, Clinton, etc.

What we needed in this last election, and if you believe the posts on here you would agree, but what we needed more than a message of ANTI everything, we needed a Uniter.

Until this administrations just tries, as promised to bring us together, and stops denegrating everything American, and asks for cooperation instead of accusing. If the administration would begin to tell the truth, instead of blatant lying.

If those things happen, this activity will decrease. Always will be ideological differences, but now the language from our leader is deceptive and hateful, UNLESS you agree in total.

You speak to this REACTION, but refuse to even acknowledge the reason for. The current administration simply blames others...media, court system, electoral system, intelligence community. How much anti everything American do you expect people to accept ?

There will be no improvement in this country until our current leader recognizes he is not always correct...until he recognizes we respect TRUTH not deception and that a good leader accept truth.
Please tell me what "denegrating of everything American" he has done. Is is because he wants us to regain our standing in the world, not apologize for being American? As for the electoral college, he defends it; Obama and Clinton do not because they want only the votes from New York, California, Florida, etc. to count. No, the founding fathers knew what they were doing when they devised a system to include ALL voters, no matter Party affiliation. He has asked repeatedly for cooperation and instead gets the "cooperation" of the likes of Charles Schumer and Nancy Pelosi. To quote Pelosi, "No, we cannot pass that bill...it's a Republican bill, and we just can't do that. No." Cooperation? I think not. When his new healthcare bill was shot down, he didn't find a way to shove it down everyone's throat anyway. He just said that apparently there was more work to be done. He gave up the cushy life of an American millionaire to try and turn this country around and make us once again the #1 nation in the world.

You say don't start on Clinton or Obama, but you invite talk about them by your views on our current president. President Obama lied repeatedly and constantly placed blame on President Bush for everything under the sun. He was also the first one to talk about voter fraud. He NEVER accepted the truth regardless of being proven the truth, but stayed in constant denial. How many times did he not even bother to take things before Congress and how many times was he overturned by the Supreme Court for doing so? He gave up NOTHING to become President and walked away with millions he didn't have going in. He and so many other politicians on BOTH sides of the aisle have built up vast fortunes while trying to convince us that the ones at the top (not counting themselves, of course) should be ashamed and pay more and more.

All presidents have faults and flaws. Accept it. Instead of finding fault with everything the man does, why not look for the good? You don't have to look far. Look at the respect the other world leaders (not counting the idiot in charge of N. Korea) give him.

If you have ALL the answers, then I suggest YOU apply for the job next election.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:40 PM
n/a

Quote:
My question would be "Who was in charge of inviting the commencement speakers"?

A VP like Pence would be fine IF he steered completely clear of political messages. Of course, that did not happen. His message should have been congratulations and wishing them well on the challenges to come.

Inviting Ann Coulter to Berkley was just as strange. An ultra conservative speaking at an ultra liberal university is not a good mix.

What would the seniors at Liberty Universitiy have done if their commencement speaker was Al Sharpton? No one would have attended the program.

Yes, students should think for themselves at college but administration workers at colleges have to think about reactions to speakers when inviting them.

Don is right when he says being rude is wrong.

Please, just do as I suggested and listen to the other politicians who have given or are still giving graduation speeches, then come back and tell us that none of them got political. Students have every right not to agree with the choices, but they are NOT in charge and the colleges have EVERY right to invite whatever speakers they choose. These students want to claim tolerance, but show absolutely none if that "tolerance" is not in step with their values or their wants and desires. Colleges are supposed to be where they are taught to have an open mind, but that apparently is not happening. If it were, then they would listen first and then challenge. They have every right challenge, but not just blindly be against what someone has to say simply because of WHO they are. They might actually learn something and have a real basis for their difference. It makes me wonder if they might actually change what they think and so they refuse to listen in order to save face.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:01 PM
n/a

Quote:
Please tell me what "denegrating of everything American" he has done. Is is because he wants us to regain our standing in the world, not apologize for being American? As for the electoral college, he defends it; Obama and Clinton do not because they want only the votes from New York, California, Florida, etc. to count. No, the founding fathers knew what they were doing when they devised a system to include ALL voters, no matter Party affiliation. He has asked repeatedly for cooperation and instead gets the "cooperation" of the likes of Charles Schumer and Nancy Pelosi. To quote Pelosi, "No, we cannot pass that bill...it's a Republican bill, and we just can't do that. No." Cooperation? I think not. When his new healthcare bill was shot down, he didn't find a way to shove it down everyone's throat anyway. He just said that apparently there was more work to be done. He gave up the cushy life of an American millionaire to try and turn this country around and make us once again the #1 nation in the world.

You say don't start on Clinton or Obama, but you invite talk about them by your views on our current president. President Obama lied repeatedly and constantly placed blame on President Bush for everything under the sun. He was also the first one to talk about voter fraud. He NEVER accepted the truth regardless of being proven the truth, but stayed in constant denial. How many times did he not even bother to take things before Congress and how many times was he overturned by the Supreme Court for doing so? He gave up NOTHING to become President and walked away with millions he didn't have going in. He and so many other politicians on BOTH sides of the aisle have built up vast fortunes while trying to convince us that the ones at the top (not counting themselves, of course) should be ashamed and pay more and more.

All presidents have faults and flaws. Accept it. Instead of finding fault with everything the man does, why not look for the good? You don't have to look far. Look at the respect the other world leaders (not counting the idiot in charge of N. Korea) give him.

If you have ALL the answers, then I suggest YOU apply for the job next election.
.....PUBLICLY denigrated on an international stage ALL of the US intelligence agencies.

.....PUBLICLY accused the ex President of wire tapping

.....I did not say..electoral college...I said electoral system.

.....Has on more than one occasion demeaned PUBLICLY judges and the judicial system

.....Has openly and PUBLICLY lied from the Oval Office.

....PUBLICLY demeaned the FBI and their investigative skills.

This is a short list and are not in any way considered "faults and flaws". They are a SHORT list of INTENTIONAL LIES, not mistakes, not errors....intentional actions to deceive. From our White House.

Add to that short list, the results of our President's actions that will come to light relative to the investigations underway.

Again, not simply faults or flaws as you call them, but in less than 100 days our Presidents actions. Flaws and faults are the way he conducted himself with Merkel, or his sharing of intel with the Russian head of espionage, or shutting out America an Media while welcoming Russian state media because, in his words.."Putin asked me"

I will accept ideology differences, or errors. His actions are, I am afraid, the epitome of un American behavior.

Your equating ideological differences with the actions of Trump is very insulting.

Tags
good, speech, mike, pence, commencement

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.