Harry Reid too scared of result to bring Obamacare repeal to a vote.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:20 AM
n/a

Default Harry Reid too scared of result to bring Obamacare repeal to a vote.

Harry Reid says he won't bring the House Repeal of Obamacare to a vote because it would be a wasted exercise, and it couldn't pass.

House Majority leader Eric Cantor wants Harry Reid to put up or shut up. If he's so confident, then he should bring it up for a vote and embarrass the Republicans by extolling the great benefits of Obamacare and holding a vote where the repeal of the bill would be widely opposed; thereby cementing their view of the Republicans as radical and unrepresentative.

The truth is that Reid really doesn't believe his own spin, and fears that he'll lose control of the Senate with enough Democrats responding to the true will of the electorate, (and fearful for their jobs), and voting with the Republicans to repeal Obamacare.

The President does not want this bill on his desk.

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/01/1...ail-in-senate/
Old 01-20-2011, 08:45 AM
n/a

First there is no true will of the electorate. Americans are split pretty much down the middle on this. And it is a waste of time. It will not get the votes. Its time to move on to the business of government. The republicans in the House fulfilled a campaign promise and did their thing. Now lets stop wasting time. I do find it interesting that the repubs have introduced 5 bills to repeal the Estate tax permanently.That's it. Yippee lets take care of that 0.2% of the population again.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:55 AM
n/a

Default Since when is it OK to just not proceed with a process

because some feel it is a waste of time? If it is supposed to be voted on then let's get on with it and vote.
If it does not pass then everybody can say I told you so. And if it doesn't.......!!

When and where do we stop making everything that doesn't suit elective?
The thinking that is what is wrong with this country.

Stand and be counted.....a seemingly waning process!

btk
Old 01-20-2011, 09:17 AM
n/a

The Dems in the House passed 300 bills that never got anywhere in the Senate because of a record number of repub filabusters. Now all of a sudden 1 meaningless bill gets bottled up and it's a national emergency.Only on Fox will it be seen that way.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:26 AM
n/a

Default government

Here is what really worries me . I watched the House yesterday discuss the Healthcare bill. I did say discuss because there was no debate. We do a far better job on this site debating the issues than the reps do and I am talking both sides. It is ridiculous how our leaders act. There was absolutely NO DEBATE on the bill. Both sides presented nothing but a bunch of quick,poorly written 1 minute soundbites. Ther was no probing,no exchange of views or ideas. The current bill is not perfect but there are some good points to it. Why can't our leaders go over it piece by piece amend it,eliminate parts of it,improve some parts and act like leaders instead of if I don't gat all of what I want I'll act like a spoiled brat. The entire process yesterday made me sick. Our government is broken. Period.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:50 AM
n/a

All they are trying to do is roll back the massive failures of this far left President and Congress. That’s what the people voted for in Nov and that’s exactly what they expect to see happen. Quoting skewed polls won’t change a thing. Obamacare was a fraud from the start and the American people know it.

You doubt me? Let’s watch again in 2012 and see what happens.

Let’s not forget that the massive victories in Nov weren't only in congress. From Governorships all the way down to the state and local legislatures, Democrats took a pounding and we all know why.

Everything from the left since then is just spin, made up facts, brutal personal attacks and partisan damage control. The left and their willing accomplices in the mainstream media are kicking into high gear and I suspect we haven’t seen anything yet.

Of course they don't want a repeal vote in the Senate. That's why they say it's a waste of time and the American people are evenly divided anyway.

DON'T BELIEVE IT.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:02 AM
n/a

Wow,really?
Old 01-20-2011, 10:04 AM
n/a

Yes, really.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:46 PM
n/a

Default That's Just The Procedure

After the Democrats worked so hard to get the Obamacare bill passed, why would they run any risk whatsoever that the repeal bill would actually pass? Under the current rules of both the House and Senate, I think I'd say the same thing even if the positions were reversed between the Democrats and Republicans.

At one point I looked up how many bills passed by the House never see the light of day in either conference committee or in an up-or-down vote in the Senate. My recollection is that it's an amazingly high percentage, about 40% of all bills passed by the House, as I recall.

On one hand, I sometimes think I'd like to see up-or-down votes in either the House or Senate on everything--with very limited debate, of course, otherwise nothing would ever get done. But I think the framers of the Constitution did have some "slow down" in mind in authorities granted the Senate. It's just that it seems the over the years the Senate has expanded their rules to the point that a majority doesn't mean the same thing as we think it does. As an example, when did "majority" begin to mean 60 votes out of 100 instead of 51?

I guess I'd have to give it a lot more study to determine in my own mind whether all those arcane Senate rules are good or bad. They're maddening at times for sure. For those favoring repeal of Obamacare, this is one of those times when the Senate rules are maddening. But the rules are the rules, and the politicians will definitely use them to their own advantage.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:31 PM
n/a

The only time the Dems talk about changing the rules of filibuster is when they don't have the 60 votes to stop it.

Wouldn't the Dems need the 60 votes to stop a filibuster that was enacted to stop a bill eliminating the filibuster?

I'm just saying.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:39 AM
n/a

Maybe some republicans favor changing the rules also. Just saying.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:57 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynet View Post
Maybe some republicans favor changing the rules also. Just saying.
Yeah...........okay.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:03 PM
n/a

Why would any Senator from either party not favor changing filibuster rules? According to all that I read the Republicans are going to gain control of everything in 2012 so they should favor a change in the rules. While there at it how about changing back to majority voting. 51 votes and the rest is history and stop all the other garbage. Lets get our government governing!!!
Old 01-21-2011, 12:08 PM
n/a

Quote:
Lets get our government governing!!!
Therein lies our main problem, too much governing and too many willing to be governed.

There's your difference VK.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:40 PM
n/a

I, for one, would would like to see ONE change in filibustering. That is, you actually HAVE to filibuster - you can't just THREATEN to do it. Let the rest of your body cash the check that your mouth writes!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.