Obama's gay right to marriage stand on cover of Newsweek.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:24 PM
n/a

Default Obama's gay right to marriage stand on cover of Newsweek.

Newsweek Celebrates Obama's Gay Marriage Endorsement On Next Cover (PHOTO)
Old 05-13-2012, 03:23 PM
n/a

Obama has never endorsed the concept of "gay marriage".

He has in fact only stated that "gays should be able to marry".

He has, up to this juncture, pointedly avoided the endorsement of a gay's "right to marry"

If Newsweek is stating differently, they are misleading the public, and evidently, you.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:26 PM
n/a

Oh. How substantive:

"The cover features an image of Obama looking quite angelic with a rainbow-colored halo above his head (or as a HuffPost editor affectionately dubbed it—a "gaylo"). The image accompanies the issue's cover story, written by Andrew Sullivan, titled "The First Gay President."

In his cover story, Sullivan argues that Obama's announcement has been years in the making. He also writes that the President has much in common with the gay community. “He had to discover his black identity and then reconcile it with his white family, just as gays discover their homosexual identity and then have to reconcile it with their heterosexual family," Sullivan writes."

Maybe instead of having a backdrop of Greek columns made of styrofoam, he will speak at the convention wearing his "Gaylo".

The National Enquirer is looking more substantive all the time in comparison.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:29 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
Obama has never endorsed the concept of "gay marriage".

He has in fact only stated that "gays should be able to marry".

He has, up to this juncture, pointedly avoided the endorsement of a gay's "right to marry"

If Newsweek is stating differently, they are misleading the public, and evidently, you.
The president has evolved from favoring same-sex marriage, to favoring civil unions for same-sex couples, back to favoring same-sex marriage.

Mitt Romney has evolved from saying he was to the left of Ted Kennedy on gay rights issues when he ran for the senate in 1994, to being governor of the first state in the country to allow same-sex marriage, to now being opposed to same-sex marriage and civil unions. Romney has promised to propose an amendment to the constitution allowing marriage to only be between one man and one woman, which would in effect negate all the legal marriages that have taken place since he was governor in 2004.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:01 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
Oh. How substantive:

"The cover features an image of Obama looking quite angelic with a rainbow-colored halo above his head (or as a HuffPost editor affectionately dubbed it—a "gaylo"). The image accompanies the issue's cover story, written by Andrew Sullivan, titled "The First Gay President."

In his cover story, Sullivan argues that Obama's announcement has been years in the making. He also writes that the President has much in common with the gay community. “He had to discover his black identity and then reconcile it with his white family, just as gays discover their homosexual identity and then have to reconcile it with their heterosexual family," Sullivan writes."

Maybe instead of having a backdrop of Greek columns made of styrofoam, he will speak at the convention wearing his "Gaylo".

The National Enquirer is looking more substantive all the time in comparison.
ilovetv: Great post...spot on
Old 05-13-2012, 05:06 PM
n/a

Default Another Sienfeld Distraction

Well here we go again the liberal far left is now inventing a war on gays. It ain't an issue and they believe if they yell loud enough and stamp their feet and call Romney names it will stick as an issue. The same sex issue doesn't assist in starting up the economy, defending the nation against our enemies or solving our energy problems
Old 05-13-2012, 05:23 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
The president has evolved from favoring same-sex marriage, to favoring civil unions for same-sex couples, back to favoring same-sex marriage.

Mitt Romney has evolved from saying he was to the left of Ted Kennedy on gay rights issues when he ran for the senate in 1994, to being governor of the first state in the country to allow same-sex marriage, to now being opposed to same-sex marriage and civil unions. Romney has promised to propose an amendment to the constitution allowing marriage to only be between one man and one woman, which would in effect negate all the legal marriages that have taken place since he was governor in 2004.
Romney is actually trying to get a US Constitutional Amendment declaring marriage is only between one man and one woman??? Daily Kos: Where Mitt Romney Stands on Gay Marriage
Old 05-13-2012, 05:40 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltarzac725 View Post
romney is actually trying to get a us constitutional amendment declaring marriage is only between one man and one woman??? daily kos: Where mitt romney stands on gay marriage

great
Old 05-13-2012, 06:24 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
ilovetv: Great post...spot on
Old 05-13-2012, 06:30 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Romney is actually trying to get a US Constitutional Amendment declaring marriage is only between one man and one woman??? Daily Kos: Where Mitt Romney Stands on Gay Marriage

taltarzac -
i believe the article you cite used the phrase"...promising to support a federal constitutional amendment ..."

how do you interpret that phrase as trying to get said c.a. approved/implemented or whatever verb ya wanna use? how do you inflate the statement beyond the face script of supporting?
Old 05-13-2012, 06:36 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
[snip]
janmcn - i LOVE the word 'evolve' and the fact that it is showing up in politics now more that ever before - BUT - as you describe obama's positions in your post...i gotta go with flip flop! i see evolving as a steady, progressive process that goes in the same direction and not one that goes back and forth - no matter how rocky the road.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:19 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
janmcn - i LOVE the word 'evolve' and the fact that it is showing up in politics now more that ever before - BUT - as you describe obama's positions in your post...i gotta go with flip flop! i see evolving as a steady, progressive process that goes in the same direction and not one that goes back and forth - no matter how rocky the road.
It appears the majority of Americans are evolving or "flip-flopping", as you see it, on the gay marriage issue and now support the ability of gay to marry.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:49 PM
n/a

Default chaos

i noticed the link provided by taltarzac came from Daily KOS, which i think is pronounced CHAOS, that which the liberal left loves to promote....the article itself did not say anything about romney that would disturb conservative or even middle of the road voters...we like our president to protect our Defense of Marriage Act in his role of upholding the law!
Old 05-13-2012, 11:52 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleMN View Post
It appears the majority of Americans are evolving or "flip-flopping", as you see it, on the gay marriage issue and now support the ability of gay to marry.
dale - i don't know how you arrive at the conclusion that the majority of americans now support the ability of gays to marry. the last i heard from the talking bobbleheads of the news was that there are 31 states - nc being the newest - where same sex marriage is not permitted/outlawed. and many websites i found in my search seem to back that up.

however, a recent pew research report regarding 'changing attitudes' shows that the public is about evenly split - 47% in favor and 43% opposed.

not much of a majority but a nice change from the 2001 pew research stats of 57% opposed to 35% in favor.

gotta watch how ya toss those descriptive words like 'majority' around, eh?
Old 05-14-2012, 05:44 AM
n/a

I would imagine it's all in how the question is asked on the poll. Last one I heard was 51% in favor - but you *never* hear how the question is phrased and that can have a HUGE impact.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.