Obnoxious words

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 12-10-2007, 10:04 PM
n/a

Default Obnoxious words

JohnZ,

I picked up your reference to me in this political thread. I feel sure that I am messing with the thread content because this is not a political comment. (I have never been in the political part of this board and I never will be.)

But I do so love words. Prioritize? Yuck? But I don't know if it has attained word status or not. Remember the days when we used to have to interface.

I am still out here struggling with what to do with online? on line? on-line? -- and spell check is no help.

Today, I actually had a conversation about whether to pronounce the "p" in comptroller. That is a pretty funny one. I looked it up on dictionary.com and found the "p" and sans "p" pronunciations have actually come to a vote. I am meeting one tomorrow so I will ask him what he is.

There is a college somewhere that once a year comes out with a list of words that are used obnoxiously. But I cannot remember where to find it.

Tal,

If you are reading this, I bet you will know where this list is. I remember that last year "went missing" was on it. I hate that expression. I consider you to be the online, on line, on-line reference of TOTV. You saved me a ton of time with your links to the Christmas ornament sites when I asked the question. And I put your link to the Twain quotes in my favorites. I really do appreciate what you are doing. I know a librarian when I see (read) one. There was an ALA poster that said, "When you absolutely, positively have to know, ask a librarian." Your reference connections make you a real 21st Century librarian. Thank you.

(After I read back over this I realized that I should have just started a new thread. But I don't know how to move it now. And I really must move forward with my life by stepping
away from the infernal machine.)

BB
Old 12-16-2007, 12:42 PM
n/a

Default Re: Obnoxious words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer BeBack
JohnZ,

I picked up your reference to me in this political thread. I feel sure that I am messing with the thread content because this is not a political comment. (I have never been in the political part of this board and I never will be.)

But I do so love words. Prioritize? Yuck? But I don't know if it has attained word status or not. Remember the days when we used to have to interface.

I am still out here struggling with what to do with online? on line? on-line? -- and spell check is no help.

Today, I actually had a conversation about whether to pronounce the "p" in comptroller. That is a pretty funny one. I looked it up on dictionary.com and found the "p" and sans "p" pronunciations have actually come to a vote. I am meeting one tomorrow so I will ask him what he is.

There is a college somewhere that once a year comes out with a list of words that are used obnoxiously. But I cannot remember where to find it.

Tal,

If you are reading this, I bet you will know where this list is. I remember that last year "went missing" was on it. I hate that expression. I consider you to be the online, on line, on-line reference of TOTV. You saved me a ton of time with your links to the Christmas ornament sites when I asked the question. And I put your link to the Twain quotes in my favorites. I really do appreciate what you are doing. I know a librarian when I see (read) one. There was an ALA poster that said, "When you absolutely, positively have to know, ask a librarian." Your reference connections make you a real 21st Century librarian. Thank you.

(After I read back over this I realized that I should have just started a new thread. But I don't know how to move it now. And I really must move forward with my life by stepping
away from the infernal machine.)

BB
BB. Here's the link. Words certainly can become political. Especially right around presidential campaigning.

http://www.lssu.edu/banished/current.php

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.