"Justice Has Been Done"

Old 05-03-2011, 11:59 AM
n/a

Default "Justice Has Been Done"

vs "Mission Accomplished". Enough said. One smacks of false triumphalism, the other a measured response to a great victory.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:21 PM
n/a

Old 05-03-2011, 01:49 PM
n/a

Default Justice Has Been Done

"The term "justice" as the West has come to view it denotes due process. Prosecutors must prove their case and a jury must render its verdict and punishment can be neither cruel nor unusual. As for bin Laden what was meted out was vengeance."(Bret Stephens 5/3/2011).

While Americans should be relieved that bin Laden was dealt with we should have shown , as a nation, a quiet resolve. The mission undertaken by Navy Seals, et al said it all. Dancing in the streets because of bin Laden demise undermines us as a people and inflames our enemies, many whom have very brutal mentalties. Do we look any better than those Muslims who danced in the streets in New York when the twin towers came down? I agree that bin laden needed to be dealt with and I am satisified by the fact that bin Laden can no longer harm another human being but I do not take pleasure because of this event (rubicon 5/3)
Old 05-03-2011, 04:27 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post

While Americans should be relieved that bin Laden was dealt with we should have shown , as a nation, a quiet resolve. The mission undertaken by Navy Seals, et al said it all. Dancing in the streets because of bin Laden demise undermines us as a people and inflames our enemies, many whom have very brutal mentalties. Do we look any better than those Muslims who danced in the streets in New York when the twin towers came down? I agree that bin laden needed to be dealt with and I am satisified by the fact that bin Laden can no longer harm another human being but I do not take pleasure because of this event (rubicon 5/3)
What was done, needed to be done, and a blight on this earth is no longer. I, too, am satisfied with the outcome of the Seals mission, but take no great pleasure in this event. Well said, Rubicon, thank you.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:47 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
What was done, needed to be done, and a blight on this earth is no longer. I, too, am satisfied with the outcome of the Seals mission, but take no great pleasure in this event. Well said, Rubicon, thank you.
Well said. It shows a good mind and a kind heart.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:24 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
"The term "justice" as the West has come to view it denotes due process. Prosecutors must prove their case and a jury must render its verdict and punishment can be neither cruel nor unusual. As for bin Laden what was meted out was vengeance."(Bret Stephens 5/3/2011).

I agree with you fully. Only satisfaction required is a silent Thank God. I am disappointed however that President Obama invited President Bush to accompany him to Ground Zero on Thursday but he declined. Would have a way to pay tribute to both Presidents.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:19 AM
n/a

At dinner last night our 18 year old grandson had questions about OBLs death.

I said to him that although we weren't in New York we watched as horrible images were seared in ours brain seeing it play out before us on the screen in real time. Voices of seasoned broadcasters trying to absorb the horror as it happened and speechless and unable to communicate as the second plane hit the tower and not knowing at first that the thumps they heard was the awful sound of bodies hitting the canopy on the first level. They didn't know what to tell us when the dust and smoke obliterated their view as well as our own and people were running from some unknown horror in the streets of the most sophisticated place in the world. It went beyond anything we Americans had experienced and we saw it together as a nation. Some people who did not know any of us individually who wanted to harm us as people. Who did this and why is what we wondered. That a group of people who did not know any of us planned this horror was beyond what we could absorb.

Our family is like many others, most others in this country, peaceful people, living each day as it comes. The death of the leader of Al Quaida is a just action.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:58 AM
n/a

Want to read something really well written? Try this on for size. Amazing talent.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/...rl.html?r=news

“If it were up to me, Bin Laden would have died neither quickly nor painlessly. I may have even forced him to watch “Maid in Manhattan” while Rebecca Black’s “Friday” played in the background on a loop.

“But luckily for terrorists everywhere, I’m not in charge. And before we knew it, Osama was out at sea, shoved off the side of an aircraft carrier to prevent his burial site from becoming a shrine. It was a smart move on our part – although, a woodchipper would have been fine, too.

“In fact, some people object that Bin Laden’s body was disposed of with such propriety. “If you ask me, he didn’t even deserve to be washed or wrapped \[in accordance with Islamic law\]. I hope they dropped him in shark-infested waters,” Sal Gjonbalaj, a Muslim whose family is from Albania, told the Daily News. Gjonbalaj’s father was killed in the 9/11 attacks.

“That sentiment is, of course, understandable. But I, for one, take no issue with the Obama administration’s decision to give Bin Laden a religious funeral in accordance with Islamic custom.”
Old 05-04-2011, 10:02 PM
n/a

President Obama's approval rating jumped to 57% after bin Laden was killed.
http://www.vanityfair.com/online/dai...7-percent.html

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.