First year in the Executive Office.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:59 PM
n/a

Default First year in the Executive Office.

I find myself evaluating Presidential candidates in the context of what the first year in office would be bring us i.e. the war on terror, immigration, tax reform, health care, education, social security, global trade, economy and national budget and monetary policy All of these categories have issues that need to be addressed. How should the categories and issues be prioritized? Is one more pressing that others? Or, should they be worked on all at once?
Old 12-08-2007, 08:23 PM
n/a

Default Re: First year in the Executive Office.

What about getting us out of Iraq? That would be my first priority.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:31 PM
n/a

JZ, maybe this is a good poll to take.

I personally always believe in focusing more on priorities rather than being spread too thin on many and all objectives at one time, so a poll would be good to see what everyone thinks should be areas of concern and the priority that they should be in. Is this too complicated to poll??

You've listed some excellent and very definite concerns but maybe others will have more ideas. As usual, JZ, you're always thinking!!!!

P.S. Is prioritized a word?? I was always told it wasn't. It would be good for my friendly scholar, you, to clear this up. Thanks, Kathie
Old 12-08-2007, 09:14 PM
n/a

Prioritized a word? I'll reserve that determination for Boomer Be Back. She's seems best suited to determine that. I'm still struggling with typos. Sheesh.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:22 PM
n/a

If the Republicans keep the White House, it is going to be pretty hard for them to do much of anything with the Congessional majority probably still staying Democrat. Unless, you have a leader who bridges the parties together. on the other hand, I do not see Hillary Clinton bridging the two parties because of her Bill baggage even if she jumped on the Bush-Cheney drawn band wagon supporting the Iraq war fairly soon. She seems so calculating at times that I wonder if she did not do this with the Oval Office in the future in mind. She has always seemed to have that prospect in her mind while her husband was in the White House.

Congrats, JohnZ, on becoming a Veteran Member! :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
Old 12-11-2007, 10:03 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer BeBack
JohnZ,

I picked up your reference to me in this political thread. I feel sure that I am messing with the thread content because this is not a political comment. (I have never been in the political part of this board and I never will be.)

But I do so love words. Prioritize? Yuck? But I don't know if it has attained word status or not. Remember the days when we used to have to interface.

I am still out here struggling with what to do with online? on line? on-line? -- and spell check is no help.

Today, I actually had a conversation about whether to pronounce the "p" in comptroller. That is a pretty funny one. I looked it up on dictionary.com and found the "p" and sans "p" pronunciations have actually come to a vote. I am meeting one tomorrow so I will ask him what he is.

There is a college somewhere that once a year comes out with a list of words that are used obnoxiously. But I cannot remember where to find it.

Tal,

If you are reading this, I bet you will know where this list is. I remember that last year "went missing" was on it. I hate that expression. I consider you to be the online, on line, on-line reference of TOTV. You saved me a ton of time with your links to the Christmas ornament sites when I asked the question. And I put your link to the Twain quotes in my favorites. I really do appreciate what you are doing. I know a librarian when I see (read) one. There was an ALA poster that said, "When you absolutely, positively have to know, ask a librarian." Your reference connections make you a real 21st Century librarian. Thank you.

(After I read back over this I realized that I should have just started a new thread. But I don't know how to move it now. And I really must move forward with my life by stepping
away from the infernal machine.)

BB
BB. Thanks for the kind words. I do have a MA in Librarianship from Denver U. Got it in 1984. Worked putting puns into business abstracts in Belmont, CA (near Stanford U.) at Information Access Company (IAC) for almost two years (1984-1986). With a really great group of people considering I went to law school right after that. Law students and law professors pale in comparison to the nice people at IAC. You could not hold being lawyers and law students against some of them. Some of them acted just like smoke and mirror producing manipulators of the system for the highest bidder though. Worked at Minneapolis Public Library for just over a year while in law school and then worked for the U of MN Law School Library my last year of law school and after. Did volunteer work in Palm Harbor, FL for 10 to 14 hours a week for almost 150 weeks at two public libraries (2000-2003) but the Director Gene Coppola there did not appreciate me ****ing in his pond so I quit. Also had more trouble than it was worth getting a working link to the FL Victim Services Directory at these two libraries like with a lawsuit and blacklist from volunteering threat (in a letter dated March 2, 2004 of all dates) from the Palm Harbor general counsel because of stuff I allegedly wrote about Gene Coppola to library staff.

This fits a bit in this thread as this did become a bit political on the small scale of Palm Harbor politics.

I will try to find the list you mentioned of obnoxious words.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:11 PM
n/a

BB?? Type in Lake Superior State University and Banned Words to a search engine. That should get you to one of these lists if not to a lot than more than one. :bigthumbsup:
Old 12-11-2007, 10:12 PM
n/a

http://www.lssu.edu/banished/current.php

here it is
Old 12-12-2007, 01:25 PM
n/a

First year in the Exedcutive Office - They all do the same thing, which is refill the Plum Book. that is Job-1.

For those unfamiliar with the Plum Book, suggest you google it and then review the book itself. it's put out every four years and lists all of the political appointment slots and who has been selected to fill each slot. last count was over 7,000 positions, ranging from Secretary of ___ to gopher.

Once that's done, the appointees learn where they are and a little of what they are supposed to do. then the "advising" starts and policy is made. Eventually, policy is followed somewhat.

The Chief Executive is not a king or dictator (benevolent or otherwise), and expectations of miracles occurring post-inauguration are unrealistic, despite the pre-election rhetoric.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:56 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZ
First year in the Exedcutive Office - They all do the same thing, which is refill the Plum Book. that is Job-1.

For those unfamiliar with the Plum Book, suggest you google it and then review the book itself. it's put out every four years and lists all of the political appointment slots and who has been selected to fill each slot. last count was over 7,000 positions, ranging from Secretary of ___ to gopher.

Once that's done, the appointees learn where they are and a little of what they are supposed to do. then the "advising" starts and policy is made. Eventually, policy is followed somewhat.

The Chief Executive is not a king or dictator (benevolent or otherwise), and expectations of miracles occurring post-inauguration are unrealistic, despite the pre-election rhetoric.
What Congress will allow him or her to get away with is important as well. I got a March 17, 1993 letter from the Assistant to the President for Domestic Policy to William Jefferson Clinton (Carol H. Rasco) when I was bugging politicians back in 1991-1993 (and following) to improve resources accessible for victims/survivors of crimes through libraries. It seemed to get pigeonholed into the Health Care Reform Task Force. Hillary Clinton's baby I believe?? Was this Health Care Reform Task Force pretty much stillborn while trying to get past Congress??
Old 12-12-2007, 02:22 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer BeBack
Thank you to all who answered my question about the list of obnoxious words. Maybe some TOTVers would like to submit some suggestions. I did not see "my bad" on it, but surely it must be there somewhere. The first time I heard someone say that, I thought she was saying, "Am I bad?" That could have started a dialogue.

A phrase that has been driving me a little nuts lately is "Sorry 'bout that." I think people who say it really do think they are being mannerly even though it sounds like they are not at all sorry and that whatever it was is your problem. I guess is is better than hearing, "I'm sorry you feel that way." My goodness, I am beginning to sound quite crotchety. I'm not really crotchety. I just can't help but notice how words work.
BB
Boomer, I think you're on to something. there are so many of these phrases today that drive me nuts also. How about "funner" its like scratching your nails on glass to me..... There are so many other, "tell me bout it!" and I could go on and on. Maybe we, or somebody, should start a new topic because it doesn't belong under Political discussions and we could have a lot of fun with it. Boomer, if you have time, could you start it, or maybe, Tal, if you're reading this, would you?? Gosh, I have a lot to say on the subject, so somebody please start it.
Thanks, Kath
Old 12-12-2007, 02:28 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI
Boomer, I think you're on to something. there are so many of these phrases today that drive me nuts also. How about "funner" its like scratching your nails on glass to me..... There are so many other, "tell me bout it!" and I could go on and on. Maybe we, or somebody, should start a new topic because it doesn't belong under Political discussions and we could have a lot of fun with it. Boomer, if you have time, could you start it, or maybe, Tal, if you're reading this, would you?? Gosh, I have a lot to say on the subject, so somebody please start it.
Thanks, Kath
That looks like a topic Boomer should start?? :bigthumbsup:
Old 12-12-2007, 02:32 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac
That looks like a topic Boomer should start?? :bigthumbsup:
Tal, have you noticed I learned how to put the "quote" in. Boy and I getting good.
Boomer always sounds so busy so I thought I'd save her/him some time. If not, do you think I could start it, if I can figure it out???

Thanks Tal,

your friend, Kathie (aka Claudia)
Old 12-12-2007, 02:36 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI
Tal, have you noticed I learned how to put the "quote" in. Boy and I getting good.
Boomer always sounds so busy so I thought I'd save her/him some time. If not, do you think I could start it, if I can figure it out???

Thanks Tal,

your friend, Kathie (aka Claudia)
Easy to do. Just go to the forum you would like to start this topic in and then click the new topic button on the top left. Good luck. A little dog is looking at me funny. Think he has to go.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:41 PM
n/a

As usual, thanks, Tal. I'll try it but take Sport out before he gets himself in trouble. Later, Kath

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.