Party of Compassion

Old 06-18-2011, 06:50 PM
n/a

Absolutely right on waynet.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:58 PM
n/a

Ahhh, we have a liberal love-fest on this thread. Glad to be of service. I've got the song you can all listen to as you revel in your collective aggrandizement.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3MiD_U4CHQ&feature=related[/ame]
Old 06-18-2011, 07:19 PM
n/a

Richie, my friend - I know you just wanted to be included in the love-fest with Actor, Dale, Waynet, and me. See, chilling out over a Yeungling serves a good purpose, doesn't it?

Anyhow, I did enjoy the clip of Joan Baez. I met her on Aug. 28, 1963 at the Lincoln Memorial at the Freedom March when Dr. King made his I Have A Dream speech. I also had the honor that day to meet Martin Luther King, Jr. Quite a day for an 18 year old kid from the all-white 'burbs.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:33 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
Richie, my friend - I know you just wanted to be included in the love-fest with Actor, Dale, Waynet, and me. See, chilling out over a Yeungling serves a good purpose, doesn't it?

Anyhow, I did enjoy the clip of Joan Baez. I met her on Aug. 28, 1963 at the Lincoln Memorial at the Freedom March when Dr. King made his I Have A Dream speech. I also had the honor that day to meet Martin Luther King, Jr. Quite a day for an 18 year old kid from the all-white 'burbs.
I have to admit, in all honesty, that I've been a fan of Joan Baez for many years myself. She brings me back to my hippie flower power days of wine and roses and peace marches on Washington D.C. When I returned from southeast Asia, I was not a happy knee-jerk patriotic American boy.

But time goes on, I grew up and raised my family and I left my childish notions behind and reinvigorated myself in the value of our country and our freedom. I want my son and my daughter and their children to have the same chance to excel in our country without having the government riding on their back and holding the reins.

I know you don't believe it, but the country that you enjoyed is not the country that is being created by the people you support.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:16 PM
n/a

I think I'll keep my "childish" notions Richie.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:37 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
Ahhh, we have a liberal love-fest on this thread. Glad to be of service. I've got the song you can all listen to as you revel in your collective aggrandizement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3MiD...eature=related

Richie come join the love fest. Don't be such a hater. Man, those dudes are even quoting scripture. Peace, love and give the government your money to help people man. That will give you more time to chill. Sit back and play golf and let somebody else look after the poor starving babies and mothers.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:59 PM
n/a

You guys are quick to assume that everyone who disagrees with you is a heartless Republican or Conservative. I'm none of the above.
I'm a lifelong Democrat who has spent a huge part of my life working with the disadvantaged. This is not my profession but it is my passion.
I am however, a thinking Democrat. You don't fix problems by simply shoveling money at them. There are far too many families who have been on public assistance for generations. I see young mothers with multiple small children and no father to help, financially or in parenting. I see too many people who work very hard in low paying jobs while others have never had a job and probably never will. Wouldn't it be better to get these folks into training programs for real jobs that will pay a living wage? Training not just in the actual job skills but in learning a basic work ethic.
I'm afraid some of you have a very narrow, prejudiced view of the world. There are serious problems out there which require a more pragmatic approach. Keeping people in poverty generation after generation is truly heartless.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:47 PM
n/a

The GOP could get away with cutting $800+M from the WIC program *if* they weren't increasing Big Farm subsidies. You put those two together and you have a PR nightmare.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:31 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleMN View Post
I think I'll keep my "childish" notions Richie.
Never expected anything different Dale. It's nice to know we understand each other, though.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:33 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
Richie come join the love fest. Don't be such a hater. Man, those dudes are even quoting scripture. Peace, love and give the government your money to help people man. That will give you more time to chill. Sit back and play golf and let somebody else look after the poor starving babies and mothers.
Maybe you're right BK. Let me take another toke and I'll ponder it some more. Look at all the colors..............
Old 06-18-2011, 10:42 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplong View Post
The GOP could get away with cutting $800+M from the WIC program *if* they weren't increasing Big Farm subsidies. You put those two together and you have a PR nightmare.
You're right of course considering the lobbyists who control campaign finance, and the Red States being in the country's heartland, and the Iowa caucuses fast approaching, that the Republicans are focused on their own interests on this one.

It's politics as usual, and the liberal media focus as usual. There are plenty of stories of Democrat proposed actions or inactions related to campaign money, that are not in the general public interest, and are not the focus of media scrutiny. But, that's life in the big city.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:45 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
Maybe you're right BK. Let me take another toke and I'll ponder it some more. Look at all the colors..............
Natural man. Natural. lol
Old 06-19-2011, 08:44 AM
n/a

Richie: I completely agree with you there.

But, as we all know, the Supreme Court declared, in essence that Money=Speech for corporations.

I wonder what the consequences would be if the concept of the corporation as an 'artificial citizen' were revoked and replaced with a much more limited set of rights and responsibilities.

And as I was typing that, another thought occurred to me... Isn't that sort of the same as wanting to rescind the citizenship of "anchor babies"? (Just read a column on the burgeoning Chinese industry of anchor-baby-tourism to give rich Chinese a long-term way to get out of China by taking maternity trips to the US)

The only difference is that "anchor babies" are real people and corporations are not.

I wonder what the Founding Fathers would think of the concept of our corporations buying up the government. I know Jefferson thought there was little in life that was more dangerous than a bank (the mega-corporation of it's time)
Old 06-19-2011, 09:42 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplong View Post
Richie: I completely agree with you there.

But, as we all know, the Supreme Court declared, in essence that Money=Speech for corporations.

I wonder what the consequences would be if the concept of the corporation as an 'artificial citizen' were revoked and replaced with a much more limited set of rights and responsibilities.

And as I was typing that, another thought occurred to me... Isn't that sort of the same as wanting to rescind the citizenship of "anchor babies"? (Just read a column on the burgeoning Chinese industry of anchor-baby-tourism to give rich Chinese a long-term way to get out of China by taking maternity trips to the US)

The only difference is that "anchor babies" are real people and corporations are not.

I wonder what the Founding Fathers would think of the concept of our corporations buying up the government. I know Jefferson thought there was little in life that was more dangerous than a bank (the mega-corporation of it's time)
Are not companies, in effect, a gathering of people? How do you legally differentiate a person from his business? No matter what you decide, I'm sure a smart lawyer will figure out the loophole.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:04 PM
n/a

Default Iagreed with the Citzen Case however....

I agreed with citzen primarily because it restore balance of power wherein Unions had a distinct advanayage and hence the Democrats.

However, I believe that allowing corporation and unions that much power corrupts our political system.

Let me give you an example. There is a charity that became a major political event in our corporation. It actually became a part of the promotional process. It got so bad that if managers did not contribute what the corporation viewed as the limited contribution it went in their file as a negative toward leadership. I had been asked to be a captain and managed 98% of our goal. As a HR guy people would come in and compalin that they were being forced to conribute a higher % than their salary increase.

The chair of event ( President of the subsidiary) demanded thsat I go back and raise the additional 2%. I refused. I called our legal department in Home Office. They refused to get involved...obvious why. so the chair pulled in people and demanded they kick in more. what was this all about " afeather in his cap" Needless to say I never ever again contributed to that charity and eventual lft this company.

So that is a small example of why I am against corporation/union involvement

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.