Wherever You Look

Old 02-17-2011, 09:29 AM
n/a

Default Wherever You Look

Trying to keep the "glass half full"...actually, it's always more than half full here in The Villages!...today's news summaries are encouraging.

Whichever way you look, at the federal, state and even city levels, the subject of the day is cutting spending. When did that happen last?

There's still a long way between nice-sounding words and actual cuts in government spending, but maybe there's some hope. We will certainly hear some members of Congress trying to politicize the efforts, but maybe there are enough who have heard the public's demands for less spending to actually get something done.

I'm particularly encouraged by news coming from the Senate. The bi-partisan plan that's developing to cap spending and/or initiate automatic tax increases if deficits are not controlled is particularly encouraging. If the "formula" for balancing the budget and beginning to beginning to make payments on our national debt can be made automatic, there'll be a lot less room for politicizing every single line item in the bigger-than-phonebook-sized federal budget.

I'm hoping for the best.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:28 PM
n/a

Default I am surprised nobody is post ing on this thread!

A good example (I think) of cutting spending is Scott's tactic to not do the high speed rail project. Cutting means only those projects not in my back yard....or those that affect a politicians and their special interest groups/supporters...like Bill Nelson's position on the high speed rail.

Not enough people understand, nor do they have an interest to understand the concept of where the money comes from (or not).

How about the concept of pay as you go? Or those who opt for the spending to volunteer to pay more to get their pet projects? That is just as likely as politicians really cutting spending......UNFORTUNATELY!!!!!!!

btk
Old 02-18-2011, 06:07 PM
n/a

I agree the high speed rail between Orlando and Tampa is a waste of money and the cost overages would be sky-high if it were built.

What is your feeling on the Scott proposal of having public employees (teachers, firefighters, and police as well as others) to pay 5% into their pension plans? I am for that one, for sure.

Hey, I just agreed with Scott twice in one posting! Am I still a liberal?
Old 02-19-2011, 07:53 AM
n/a

FYI - The companies involved in the Tampa-Orlando HSR project were offering guarantees against cost overruns. Why? Because they wanted this project to serve as an example. They had eyes on a Florida-wide build-out.

Projects like the Big Dig, to take a local-to-me example, had no such guarantees (partially because of the unknowns when the contracts were bid) and we all know what happened.

We DO know what it costs to build a building. Running the rail down the middle of I-4 means that, when I-4 was widened and room for the line reserved, we KNOW what kind of soil is there (no surprises like in Boston).

The talk of cancelling HSR projects is an example of getting caught up in sloganeering. We have a similar problem here in NH with the Republicans in the legislature wanting to disband a Rail Authority that has no budget (it's work is done by volunteer representatives).

That being said, I'd like to see municipal workers contribute more towards their benefits - and I say that as an employee of the Air Force. I have good benefits but I pay a LOT more for my health insurance, as an example.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:34 AM
n/a

Many eyes across the country will be on Wisconsin. Wisconsin is projected to have a huge budget deficit over the next several years and needs to come up with inovative ways to deal with it.

Scott Walker, a republican and true conservtive, was elected the new governor last fall and wants to have the teachers start paying a portion of their retirement plan and health insurance. Currently they pay zero! Other state and government workers are included but it's the teachers and more specifically the teachers union that is fighting.

Scott Walker is asking that these workers pay 12.5% of their health insurance costs and 5.8% of their salaries into their pention plans. He isn't changing any plans or deleting any benefits but wants these workers to begin paying something. Average teacher salary in Wisconsin is $53,000 with another $20,000 in estimated benefits.

The republicans currently hold a majority in our house, 19-13, so the bill will pass but you need 20 senators to form a quorum before you can vote. So...what do the 13 democratic senators do? They flee to Illinois so they won't have to vote and shut down the government! Reminds me of kindergarten when someone doesn't like the game and takes their ball and goes home.

And...guess who ordered busloads of protestors from Illinois to go to the Wisconsin state capitol to protest? The Democratic National Committee. And whole school systems were shut down because teachers called in sick to go to Madison to protest. And...the Reverend Jessie Jackson shows up yesterday to support the teachers!

Scott Walker also wants to eliminate collective bargaining which will effectively destroy the unions and maybe, help Wisonsin get back on track to solving the budget issue and deficits. Teachers should be held accountable just like all other workers, with good ones receiving raises and poor ones sent packing. As it stands now, the union negotiates for everyone equally and doesn't matyer if you are good or bad. Unions had theire time and place but not any more in my humble opinion. I work in manufacturing and it costs 3-4 times as much to have a union crew install our product as a non-union crew! Ridiculous!

It's been very interesting and could set the stage for some other states to try something similar.

Last thing, they interviewed several teachers last night and when asked how Scott Walker should deal with the budget deficit, the resonse of many was to raise taxes! I'm sorry, I pay enough in taxes so you can have free health insurance and be able to retire at 55 years old with a great pension and free health care.

Sorry if I rambled or this isn't the correct post or forum. I'm pretty pasionate about this battle. Government can't continue to spend, spend, spend without consequences.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:39 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
What is your feeling on the Scott proposal of having public employees (teachers, firefighters, and police as well as others) to pay 5% into their pension plans? I am for that one, for sure.

I do agree with this one and could go on quite a bit on this issue. We see more of the states now approaching this idea. People need to take the good with the bad and while the public sector employees did not create the budget messes they certainly are part of the problem and thus need to be part of the solution.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:44 PM
n/a

Default Did You Ever Think...?

...that maybe the Wisconsin senators went to Illinois to get some advice and counsel from their Illinois counterparts on how to deal with a giant budget deficit?

Illinois simply raised the state income tax by 67%! Never cut a dime of spending.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:55 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
I agree the high speed rail between Orlando and Tampa is a waste of money and the cost overages would be sky-high if it were built.

Hey, I just agreed with Scott twice in one posting! Am I still a liberal?
Recognizing the need to scale down the spending and keeping your general convictions about liberalism is probably a conundrum to any who are of that mindset. Many in that position like to think of themselves as moderate.

I'm happy you recognize the out of control spending in this country and hope you rally around the people who are trying to control it. It doesn't mean you have to dump your values, but sometimes you have to come to grips with what's really important for your future, your family's future and the country's future as a whole.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:45 PM
n/a

Perhaps they would have better luck if they only had the 'request' for the teachers to start paying into their benefits pool more like everyone else and did NOT put in an attempt to revoke their right to collective bargaining.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:03 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
...that maybe the Wisconsin senators went to Illinois to get some advice and counsel from their Illinois counterparts on how to deal with a giant budget deficit?

Illinois simply raised the state income tax by 67%! Never cut a dime of spending.
Quinn not only raised the taxes he hired around 1000 new gov workers. He said this would actually cut down the pay for OT and be a tax savings in the long run. I'll bet NOT.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.