Posting guidelines

Old 07-23-2008, 04:07 PM
n/a

Default Posting guidelines

I mentioned in a previous post about how incivility on forums can lead to their collapse. That is why I pulled that thread.

Now Darrel, Jan and I have decided to implement rules, or guidelines, we can follow to stop degenerating threads more quickly.

Also, we decided to try to act more quickly since we are using these guidelines.

We are implementing "posting bans" of various lengths of time for conduct unbecoming a TOTV poster. Users who we post-ban will be able to log into the forum and read everything but they will not be able to post new messages or replies during the ban. At the end of the ban, their posting privilege will be returned. Notice that I said privilege, not right, to post.

Neither Jan, Darrel or I strive for this forum to be only happiness, fluff and light, but we will be insisting that you post with civility. It is obvious and you all surely know what I mean by civility. If you don't, then we will teach you with post-bans. It is our sole judgement of when to apply bans. It sounds autocratic, but we all will see its value when a thread gets into an outrageous tailspin.

We want this forum's posts to be honest and independent of any outside influence, but we insist that postings be respectful. That is the only thing we have to offer. Honest discussion, banter, fun and tons of good information for Villagers, new comers and those planing or pondering moving to The Villages.

Another way to draw a post-ban will be unabashedly pitching your own business in posts. We sell advertising or sponsorships for that. Whether you are an advertiser or not, pitching your business in posts is not permitted. Your advertising carries you message. We know we tread a fine line in the Contractors and Services board, but those posts are usually from Villagers recommending reputable firms. We encourage honest, civil comment about firms you know about directly. If an advertiser is posting for business there, we will post-ban him or her. Some advertisers, on the other hand, buy their own forums, and they solely run and moderate it. We label the forum as being owned by the sponsor so you know the viewpoint of the board.

Our bans will probably be private, and will vary, like two days, five days, 10 days. Those are our plans for now, and may be altered as you go.

If you are banned you will get a message when you try to log in or post. We will try to explain why we banned you.

We are all adults here, and Jan, Darrel and I hope not to post-ban anybody. We want to continue this as a fun, informative place.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:42 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I mentioned in a previous post about how incivility on forums can lead to their collapse. That is why I pulled that thread.

Now Darrel, Jan and I have decided to implement rules, or guidelines, we can follow to stop degenerating threads more quickly.

Also, we decided to try to act more quickly since we are using these guidelines.

We are implementing "posting bans" of various lengths of time for conduct unbecoming a TOTV poster. Users who we post-ban will be able to log into the forum and read everything but they will not be able to post new messages or replies during the ban. At the end of the ban, their posting privilege will be returned. Notice that I said privilege, not right, to post.

Neither Jan, Darrel or I strive for this forum to be only happiness, fluff and light, but we will be insisting that you post with civility. It is obvious and you all surely know what I mean by civility. If you don't, then we will teach you with post-bans. It is our sole judgement of when to apply bans. It sounds autocratic, but we all will see its value when a thread gets into an outrageous tailspin.

We want this forum's posts to be honest and independent of any outside influence, but we insist that postings be respectful. That is the only thing we have to offer. Honest discussion, banter, fun and tons of good information for Villagers, new comers and those planing or pondering moving to The Villages.

Another way to draw a post-ban will be unabashedly pitching your own business in posts. We sell advertising or sponsorships for that. Whether you are an advertiser or not, pitching your business in posts is not permitted. Your advertising carries you message. We know we tread a fine line in the Contractors and Services board, but those posts are usually from Villagers recommending reputable firms. We encourage honest, civil comment about firms you know about directly. If an advertiser is posting for business there, we will post-ban him or her. Some advertisers, on the other hand, buy their own forums, and they solely run and moderate it. We label the forum as being owned by the sponsor so you know the viewpoint of the board.

Our bans will probably be private, and will vary, like two days, five days, 10 days. Those are our plans for now, and may be altered as you go.

If you are banned you will get a message when you try to log in or post. We will try to explain why we banned you.

We are all adults here, and Jan, Darrel and I hope not to post-ban anybody. We want to continue this as a fun, informative place.
These were the old owners. These people no longer own Talk of the Villages.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:17 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
These were the old owners. These people no longer own Talk of the Villages.
Excellent point.

Given that Talk of the Villages Website Guidelines and Rules says this....

Quote:

Public Flames/Hot Topics:

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not make derogatory comments about any person based on religion, race, gender, etc. Please remember this is a large community with many members from all parts of the world, representing all people. Please refrain from posting messages that contain potential hot topics known as polarizing arguments. A tone of "kindness" is appreciated for all discussions.

...and that this rule (or at least the highlighted part) is almost always ignored in the Political Section, it might be time to update the "Guidelines and Rules' for the Political Section)?

Just a thought.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:31 AM
n/a

Default Posting guidelines

Thanks for spelling out the rules for posting and penalties for being uncivil. This monitoring is sorely needed, unfortunately.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:28 PM
n/a

Well we do not want to do the wrong thing but have a question.
We commented on the amount of dog droppings being left by some folks, this is something that spreads disease, children take it on their shoes into the house it is a real problem. When we commented on this the comment was removed. It was not attacking anyone but it was intended to be helpful. What is wrong with the truth?

bbbbbb
Old 07-04-2016, 07:30 PM
n/a

Default dog droppings

We commented on the amount of dog droppings being left by some folks, this is something that spreads disease, children take it on their shoes into the house it is a real problem. When we commented on this the comment was removed. It was not attacking anyone but it was intended to be helpful. What is wrong with the truth?

bbbbbb
Old 07-04-2016, 08:47 PM
n/a

The guidelines that were posted here were not done by the present moderators or owner. I really don't think are any guidelines in the political forum. I wish there were. I wish people had the courage to stand by their convictions and sign off, but it is what it is.

bbbbb, I don't think you'll get a reply here. This is the political forum, which is no holds barred, name calling and belittling are the rule. Occasionally, we get lucky and something at least starts out with real discussions, but it quickly degrades. Anyway, send a message to the moderators. They'll tell you what happened to your thread and why.

Red
Old 08-10-2016, 09:35 PM
n/a

youtube.com/ mama loves mambo - Bing video
Old 09-03-2016, 01:14 PM
n/a

Default Posting Rules

[QUOTE=Guest;141397]I mentioned in a previous post about how incivility on forums can lead to their collapse. That is why I pulled that thread.

Hi, thank you, we do believe in monitoring postings and it really needs to be done. There is a lady on here however, that has really come back strong at me.
I think and hope I have that resolved. We are retired, we do a lot of volunteer work we like to help people in many forms, for no pay and we do not believe in getting a bunch of guff from someone who is into nit picking. Thanks for a great program here. bbbbbb
Old 03-24-2017, 08:34 AM
n/a

In a post in the political forum "get ready older villagerswho buy there own insurance" reply 11 my reply was hacked and my name changed. If the person can do this they can also change the wording. The person should be banned permanetly, this is not the first time his has happened and I have texted before about this.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:41 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
In a post in the political forum "get ready older villagerswho buy there own insurance" reply 11 my reply was hacked and my name changed. If the person can do this they can also change the wording. The person should be banned permanetly, this is not the first time his has happened and I have texted before about this.
Could you explain? I am pretty sure it is the REALyou because you misspelled permanently. Spelling doesn't really matter to me or to most people, but sometimes some of the things you type make a lot of us want to be hateful to you. That isn't a good way to be.

Now who has done what to you?
Old 03-24-2017, 12:55 PM
n/a

No one hacked your post. They changed the content of the quote in their post. As long as you don't change the content of your post, it will remain unchanged.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:55 PM
n/a

Default Doggie doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest

bbbbbb
Hi, we believe in being civil, however if you walk or ride a bike,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, doggie doo is a real problem. Why is it that a comment on it cannot be shown?
bbbbbb

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.