Potential Trump Cabinet picks

Old 11-10-2016, 04:39 AM
n/a

Arrow Potential Trump Cabinet picks

Donald Trump's transition team has prepared a preliminary list of potential Cabinet members for his upcoming administration.

The list reveals a number of familiar faces including Ben Carson, Chris Christie, Mike Huckabee, Newt Gingrich and others being weighed for multiple positions.

In total, the list includes 41 names and covers 14 different departments.

Attorney general picks include Chris Christie, Jeff Sessions and Rudy Giuliani.

Newt Gingrich, John Bolton and Bob Corker are listed as potential picks for the secretary of State.

Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus is the only name listed under chief of staff, while Sessions is also the only one being considered for director of Office of Management and Budget.

Potential secretary of Commerce picks include Christie and Huckabee, while Carson is under consideration to be secretary of Education.

Christie is also being weighed for secretary of Homeland Security, and Carson, Gingrich and Florida Gov. Rick Scott are potential picks for secretary of Health and Human Services.

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin also makes a surprise appearance on the shortlist, mentioned as one of seven potential candidates to become the Secretary of the Interior.

===
Trump will have far more room to maneuver than any of his recent predecessors. That’s precisely what’s freaking so many people out. There is no way to predict what Trump will do or say in the months to come, and that’s left many Americans anxious and afraid.

Normally, you’d expect a successful presidential candidate to be at least somewhat attuned to the interests of his political allies, including his donors. Mitt Romney likely would have run a very different campaign in 2012 had he not depended on the support of wealthy donors. Trump faced no such constraint. His early success was driven largely by the saturation media coverage he generated with his bombastic rhetoric.
This difference shows in Trump’s fundraising totals. Through mid-October, his campaign committee spent roughly half as much as Hillary Clinton’s. And while Romney attracted hundreds of millions of dollars in support from Super PACs, Trump’s Super PAC allies raised a far smaller sum. Several large donors who had enthusiastically backed Republicans in previous elections and who supported Trump’s rivals in the race for the GOP presidential nomination, favored Clinton over Trump. This was particularly true of donors who had contributed to Jeb Bush, John Kasich, and Marco Rubio, three candidates perceived, fairly or otherwise, as especially deferential to the interests of the financial services sector.
If Trump won’t be tied down by large donors, might he instead by hemmed in by the Republican Party? Probably not.

Unlike the centralized, disciplined political parties found in many other democracies, America’s major parties are loose coalitions. Campaign finance regulation has hollowed out central party organizations, and power has shifted to individual candidates, their fundraising networks, and a congeries of Super PACs and pressure groups. The party that controls the presidency has the distinct advantage of having a very visible figure who is unambiguously at the top of the partisan totem pole. Without such a focal point, these loose coalitions have a way of descending into anarchy. That’s basically what’s happened to the GOP in the Obama years.

But now the GOP has a focal point, and it’s not Reince Priebus, the chairman of the Republican National Committee, or Paul Ryan, the speaker of the House (for now, at least). It is Donald Trump. Instead of Republicans reining in Trump, it is Trump who will play the central role in defining what it means to be a Republican.

Until recently, ambitious young Republicans knew exactly what they had to do to make their way in the GOP: Invoke the memory of Ronald Reagan at every turn, even if you were but a small child when Reagan was in the White House, and make sure everyone in the party knew you were a conservative’s conservative devoted to conservative conservatism. Witness the careers of Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio, two 40-somethings who hold different perspectives on policy issues and who have entirely different styles. And yet both men endeavored to convince their fellow Republicans, and particularly Republican donors, that they were Reagan’s Latino heirs. Trump’s victory has almost certainly brought the era of Reagan worship to an end.

If donors won’t guide the president-elect, and the party apparatus won’t constrain him, then who will steer the president-elect? Heavy responsibility will fall on the shoulders of Ivanka Trump and her husband Jared Kushner, Trump’s closest confidantes, and the as yet unknown people who will staff senior roles in his administration.

Trump has been consistent on one point over the course of his decades long flirtation with national politics: his skepticism about free trade and his commitment to economic nationalism. On almost everything else, from the tax code to universal health insurance to the size of the military to unauthorized immigration—his signature issue this campaign cycle—he’s taken any number of positions. On most of these questions, with the notable exception of immigration, Trump is a blank slate. Indeed, one of his recurring themes has been that, unlike the Republicans he trounced in the primaries, he is no ideologue. He’s promised to do “whatever works” to make America great again.

Who will serve in a Trump administration? We can expect that Trump’s most enthusiastic surrogates—former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani—will be given prominent roles. Trump’s most devoted cheerleaders have been has-beens (like Gingrich and Giuliani) and never-weres who were unafraid of the reputational consequences of backing Trump.

In the weeks and months to come, many policy professionals will face a dilemma. Are they willing to put aside their doubts about Trump to serve in his administration? Doing so will mean taking on a not-inconsiderable risk. Trump was the most polarizing presidential candidate in recent memory. It is easy to imagine that he will be just as polarizing a president.

America is entering a very uncertain moment, and our new president will need calm voices and steady hands around him.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:35 AM
n/a

Trump will make good choices. If they don't work out, he will fire them. He is a no nonsense type of leader. America needs that right now. No more endorsing of radical groups, like occupy Wall St or black lives matter. I doubt Trump will ever say that a thug could represent someone that could have been his son. I doubt Trump will tell America that our police are racists. And I doubt Trump will tell our military not to wear their uniforms to the White House, as did the Clintons. I believe that Trump will allow our individual states to handle their own little situation without the need to meddle in their business. Trump will get down to business, period.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:33 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
Trump will make good choices. If they don't work out, he will fire them. He is a no nonsense type of leader. America needs that right now. No more endorsing of radical groups, like occupy Wall St or black lives matter. I doubt Trump will ever say that a thug could represent someone that could have been his son. I doubt Trump will tell America that our police are racists. And I doubt Trump will tell our military not to wear their uniforms to the White House, as did the Clintons. I believe that Trump will allow our individual states to handle their own little situation without the need to meddle in their business. Trump will get down to business, period.
How the hell do you know what Trump is going to do in the future. He is very unpredictable.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:49 AM
n/a

Quote:
How the hell do you know what Trump is going to do in the future. He is very unpredictable.
Well, I am confident that even in his worst, he will do better than the loser we have in there now. Is that a good enough answer for you? And he beat a lot of professional politicians to get where he is today, and that was against a lot of adversity. He didn't get where he is by Affirmative Action, like the guy in there now. I'll take his record as a good sign until he proves different. He won fair and square. We already know how bad Hillary would have been in the White House because we have seen her resume'.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:07 AM
n/a

You must live in a bubble. It is very obvious what he will try to do. Notice I didn't "will do" but said "try to do". Some things will need Congressional support and there is no guarantee he will get that. Somethings he can done by executive order. Regardless, there will be no surprises.

Quote:
Old 11-10-2016, 09:16 AM
n/a

Actually, I am less concerned about who gets picked for his cabinet than I am about who gets picked to replace the vacancy on the Supreme Court. That was most of my reason for voting for him. That and making sure that Hillary the felon did not get elected.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:23 AM
n/a

Quote:
Actually, only his words are unpredictable. His actions are pretty consistent.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:13 AM
n/a

One of his best talents is hiring the best in any given field, but he's quick to realize if they aren't performing and trying another.

Similar to his campaign mgrs

how can you be sure someone asked, only be results.

this is a guy that was attacked by all 16 in the primaries,
98% of the press, really bad tv ads by the dems, not much support by the Bush family etc, he won the most historical election in history.

he just kept going and persevered.

well know soon enough
Old 11-10-2016, 10:26 AM
n/a

Quote:
One of his best talents is hiring the best in any given field, but he's quick to realize if they aren't performing and trying another.

Similar to his campaign mgrs

how can you be sure someone asked, only be results.

this is a guy that was attacked by all 16 in the primaries,
98% of the press, really bad tv ads by the dems, not much support by the Bush family etc, he won the most historical election in history.

he just kept going and persevered.

well know soon enough
I agree.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:34 AM
n/a

Any list that excludes Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi, has not been well thought out. She will be rewarded.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:38 AM
n/a

Quote:
Any list that excludes Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi, has not been well thought out. She will be rewarded.
Didn't he already "reward" her?

Tags
trump, trump’s, donors, secretary, potential

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.