Principle of contradiction

Old 01-02-2010, 05:17 PM
n/a

Default Principle of contradiction

Liberal Freedoms

From Wikipedia: The oldest statement of the law is that contradictory statements cannot both at the same time be true, e.g. Liberalism and Freedoms.

Liberals promote many contradictory ideals, such as freedom of speech, but abhor any speech that is not Politically, Socially, or Economically different than theirs.

Liberals maintain as their right to tell us they believe in Freedom, but are quick to tell us what we should be able to say, print, film, smoke, drink and recently in California eat trans fats.

Liberals are hell bent on telling Americans how to run their Banks, Automobile Industries, Airlines, Health Care and anything else they can manage to take away from our own choice, because they feel that "They" know better what is good for us.

Using the words Liberal and Freedom in the same sentence is the truest form of contradiction of principle.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:03 AM
n/a

Default right

I GNU you were smart GNU. You just proved me right with this posting.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:01 PM
n/a

A liberal who advocates Political Correctness is not a true liberal. A liberal *should* be in favor of allowing speech because that speech which is awful will be shown as such when held up to the light for all to see.

We don't need to be protected from "words".
Old 01-03-2010, 03:22 PM
n/a

Default Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplong View Post
A liberal who advocates Political Correctness is not a true liberal. A liberal *should* be in favor of allowing speech because that speech which is awful will be shown as such when held up to the light for all to see.

We don't need to be protected from "words".
You sure have that WRONG.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:40 PM
n/a

I don't need protection from words. The gibbering idiot on the streetcorner in Portland, ME makes no difference to me. The words of anyone else don't threaten me.

Actions - those can threaten me. If words are deemed in and of themselves to be weapons, then we are one step closer to Thought Crime and "1984".

If someone kills me, they should be punished for the crime of murder. That I just so happen to be of hispanic descent shouldn't make one iota of difference.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:51 AM
n/a

Default Words

Quote:
I don't need protection from words. The gibbering idiot on the streetcorner in Portland, ME makes no difference to me. The words of anyone else don't threaten me.

Actions - those can threaten me. If words are deemed in and of themselves to be weapons, then we are one step closer to Thought Crime and "1984".

If someone kills me, they should be punished for the crime of murder. That I just so happen to be of hispanic descent shouldn't make one iota of difference.
Do you not think that the words of the great men of history have changed our lives .
Old 01-04-2010, 09:33 AM
n/a

Absolutely. But that's the point. It wasn't the words themselves - it was the actions inspired by those words.

Censorship is, in political terms, cowardice. It means someone is saying "I'm so scared of those words that I won't even let them be spoken". This is different form saying "Those words are worthless, and here's why..."

This is why a *true* Liberal - at least in this respect - would retch at the thought of PC. As an example, a *true* Liberal should stand up and denounce a racist rather than just try to silence him or her through governmental fiat.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:48 AM
n/a

Smile Agreed!

Quote:
Absolutely. But that's the point. It wasn't the words themselves - it was the actions inspired by those words.

Censorship is, in political terms, cowardice. It means someone is saying "I'm so scared of those words that I won't even let them be spoken". This is different form saying "Those words are worthless, and here's why..."

This is why a *true* Liberal - at least in this respect - would retch at the thought of PC. As an example, a *true* Liberal should stand up and denounce a racist rather than just try to silence him or her through governmental fiat.
That would be me! A true liberal and proud of it!
Old 01-04-2010, 04:26 PM
n/a

It seems to me that those interested in freedom and liberty are proponents of small government. Neither of our major political parties seems inclined towards that.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:41 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I GNU you were smart GNU. You just proved me right with this posting.
Can't quite figure out what "I GNU you were smart GNU" means. A very odd statement indeed.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:53 AM
n/a

Default Not Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
Can't quite figure out what "I GNU you were smart GNU" means. A very odd statement indeed.
Sorry all I meant was I agreed with you.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.