Religious Freedom Law

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 03-29-2015, 07:46 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Reggie Miller, Charles Barkley rail against Indiana law | MSNBC


Two more high profile athletes come out against this Indiana law. NBA legends Charles Barkley and Reggie Miller railed against the law saying they are not political people, but this despicable law caused them to speak out.
  #17  
Old 03-29-2015, 08:39 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Laws like that are one step closer to Sharia Law in this country that used to believe in religious freedom. Very sad and antiquated. Too many law makers are choosing to put their oun personal beliefs above that of their constituents.
It's clear that by referencing Sharia law in the manner you do that you have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about but simply parroting something you heard ... probably on MSNBC
  #18  
Old 03-29-2015, 09:53 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Reggie Miller, Charles Barkley rail against Indiana law | MSNBC


Two more high profile athletes come out against this Indiana law. NBA legends Charles Barkley and Reggie Miller railed against the law saying they are not political people, but this despicable law caused them to speak out.
OK enough reasoning to take note......must not be too serious though Hollywood has not come forth yet.
  #19  
Old 03-30-2015, 08:30 AM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I find it interesting that we have commenters podting here saying how bad Indiana is for passing this law while residing in a State the has the EXACT same law! Where is the protest in Florida? There is a federal law that is the same. Where is the protest? If people read the and understand they would understand the law does not give the right to discriminate. It protects individual and business from being forced by the government to violaye their religious beliefs. Anyone remember the Hobby Lobby case? Stop believing what is being spoon fed to you by the liberal media and there would not be this protest.
The Big Lie The Media Tells About Indiana's New 'Religious Freedom' Law | ThinkProgress


The Indiana law differs substantially from the federal RFRA law signed by President Clinton and all other laws in other states. The Indiana law contains provisions that would rule in disputes between private citizens.
  #20  
Old 03-30-2015, 08:34 AM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

And in some states there are still laws on the books for illegally tying up your horse in front of a bank.

Ah that was yesterday's news pump.
  #21  
Old 03-30-2015, 09:01 AM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I find it interesting that we have commenters podting here saying how bad Indiana is for passing this law while residing in a State the has the EXACT same law! Where is the protest in Florida? There is a federal law that is the same. Where is the protest? If people read the and understand they would understand the law does not give the right to discriminate. It protects individual and business from being forced by the government to violaye their religious beliefs. Anyone remember the Hobby Lobby case? Stop believing what is being spoon fed to you by the liberal media and there would not be this protest.
This is factually incorrect. ALL of the other RFRA's (both the Federal one and ALL of the other state ones) are different from the Indiana law in one VERY important area. ALL of the previous RFRA's were specially written to be between individuals and government. The Indiana law contains a provision for the law to be applied between individuals.

The Indiana law differs substantially from the federal Religious Freedom Restoration Act, signed by President Clinton in 1993, and all other state RFRAs.

"There are several important differences in the Indiana bill but the most striking is Section 9. Under that section, a “person” (which under the law includes not only an individual but also any organization, partnership, LLC, corporation, company, firm, church, religious society, or other entity) whose “exercise of religion has been substantially burdened, or is likely to be substantially burdened” can use the law as “a claim or defense… regardless of whether the state or any other governmental entity is a party to the proceeding.”

Every other Religious Freedom Restoration Act applies to disputes between a person or entity and a government. Indiana’s is the only law that explicitly applies to disputes between private citizens. This means it could be used as a cudgel by corporations to justify discrimination against individuals that might otherwise be protected under law. Indiana trial lawyer Matt Anderson, discussing this difference, writes that the Indiana law is “more broadly written than its federal and state predecessors” and opens up “the path of least resistance among its species to have a court adjudicate it in a manner that could ultimately be used to discriminate…
” "


Source for above quote:

The Big Lie The Media Tells About Indiana's New 'Religious Freedom' Law | ThinkProgress
  #22  
Old 03-30-2015, 01:51 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Post

AFSCME, The American Federations of State, County, and Municipal Employees is pulling its women's convention scheduled for next fall out of Indiana because of this new law. The union president said the 1.6 million members of AFSCME will not contribute to any state that passes such legislation.










AFSCME Relocating Conference Out Of 'Disgust' Of Religious Liberty Law
  #23  
Old 03-30-2015, 02:18 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
AFSCME, The American Federations of State, County, and Municipal Employees is pulling its women's convention scheduled for next fall out of Indiana because of this new law. The union president said the 1.6 million members of AFSCME will not contribute to any state that passes such legislation.

I





AFSCME Relocating Conference Out Of 'Disgust' Of Religious Liberty Law
ndiana should play its cards right and encourage the influx of conservative businesses thru various incentives ... in a few years the state would become a growth and success story
  #24  
Old 03-30-2015, 03:11 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
ndiana should play its cards right and encourage the influx of conservative businesses thru various incentives ... in a few years the state would become a growth and success story
In other words a "safe haven" for bigots.
  #25  
Old 03-30-2015, 03:31 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
In other words a "safe haven" for bigots.
Would you mind sharing with us how you conclude the above.
The same logic that concludes an ice cream treat is a turd sandwich!
No words any longer are able to describe your interpretive process.......that being a compliment by the way.
  #26  
Old 03-30-2015, 03:43 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default And

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
ndiana should play its cards right and encourage the influx of conservative businesses thru various incentives ... in a few years the state would become a growth and success story
Who exactly is going to buy your "conservative" products? I'm sure there won't be any women, African Americans, Asians, Hispanics, gays, lesbians, or any other minority(other than tea party bigots) that will spend a dime there. I believe your "conservative businesses" will make the new law a moot point. You see greed will win out. It always does with YOUR KIND!
  #27  
Old 03-30-2015, 04:16 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Who exactly is going to buy your "conservative" products? I'm sure there won't be any women, African Americans, Asians, Hispanics, gays, lesbians, or any other minority(other than tea party bigots) that will spend a dime there. I believe your "conservative businesses" will make the new law a moot point. You see greed will win out. It always does with YOUR KIND!
Hey Chicken Little...19 states have similar laws and they're doing just fine! Cheer up! You're such an economic buzz-kill.

  #28  
Old 03-30-2015, 05:12 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Hey Chicken Little...19 states have similar laws and they're doing just fine! Cheer up! You're such an economic buzz-kill.

See post #21 for the difference in the state laws in 19 other states compared to the law in Indiana.
  #29  
Old 03-30-2015, 05:18 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Hey Chicken Little...19 states have similar laws and they're doing just fine! Cheer up! You're such an economic buzz-kill.

Seriously, try to keep up here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
See post #21 for the difference in the state laws in 19 other states compared to the law in Indiana.
  #30  
Old 03-30-2015, 06:31 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
See post #21 for the difference in the state laws in 19 other states compared to the law in Indiana.
I saw it and am completely and totally underwhelmed with the insignificance of it. Whoa... a baker refuses to bake a cake for a homosexual wedding. Seriously, that's what's got your panties in a wad? A gay wedding cake?

Here's a suggestion for the homosexual couple: GO TO ANOTHER BAKERY! You know, one of the 10,000 others in town... grocery stores, bakeries, Costco, Sam's club, private citizens...

If the baker is super religious and his religion says no cakes for homosexuals, I don't see how it's fair to force the little baker guy to bake a cake he doesn't want to bake. It's not like there aren't a ton of other options here.
 

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 PM.