Respect to office

Old 02-06-2015, 01:45 PM
n/a

Default Respect to office

I was raised that you did not have to respect a man who didn't deserve it, but you always respected the rank. That was true whether it was an officer in the military, a CEO of a corporation or an elected official. The rank has validity whether earned by the person holding it or not. Therefore, even if I didn't like a politician, I have always respected the fact that he was elected by a majority of voters.

I truly disliked Reagan's policies. I doubt I would have shed even a mental tear if Hinckley would have succeeded. Even so, I never spoke about him with the disrespect, flat out lies and disdain I've seen thrown at our present President. Whether you like it or not, he was elected to lead our nation, not once but twice. Feel free to disagree his policies but show respect for the office. As my father taught me, if you can't do that, keep your mouth shut!

And if this doesn't get me killed, nothing will.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:08 PM
n/a

I was raised to respect not just an office holder or someone of stature greater than mine be it in age, rank, employment, or otherwise. But sometimes those folks make me wonder how they got where they are and who helped them along the way to get where they are .

And there have been times when I even wonder whether the person of rank or in office or in employment even has any respect for the position they hold much less the people who put them there or over whom they exercise decision-making authority!

I willl always respect the office, rank, age or position of an individual; but will rarely, if ever, will I respect the individual who imposes a personal ideal, plan or objective without consideration, negotiation and/or compromise - just because they can.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:47 PM
n/a

In my world you are respected no matter what your station in life until you doing something to lose that respect. Where should I start with this community organizer that is way in over his head???
Old 02-06-2015, 02:48 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I was raised that you did not have to respect a man who didn't deserve it, but you always respected the rank. That was true whether it was an officer in the military, a CEO of a corporation or an elected official. The rank has validity whether earned by the person holding it or not. Therefore, even if I didn't like a politician, I have always respected the fact that he was elected by a majority of voters.

I truly disliked Reagan's policies. I doubt I would have shed even a mental tear if Hinckley would have succeeded. Even so, I never spoke about him with the disrespect, flat out lies and disdain I've seen thrown at our present President. Whether you like it or not, he was elected to lead our nation, not once but twice. Feel free to disagree his policies but show respect for the office. As my father taught me, if you can't do that, keep your mouth shut!

And if this doesn't get me killed, nothing will.
You must have been out of the country from 2001 thru....well, going to say 2008 but it still continues today.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:32 PM
n/a

Nope, I was here. As I said, I really disliked Reagan. I hated the concept of Star Wars, the drivel that came out of his mouth, his tendency to put big business first. Even so, I didn't call him a bully or an idiot or a misguided fool (which was about the kindest thought I had about him).

The vitriol directed towards Obama on this board is amazing to me. You may not like his policies but he isn't evil personified. I've never seen any other human blamed for so much and given credit for so little. Had he been half as bad as so many of you make him, he would not have been re-elected.

I can understand disliking certain of his policies but I will never understand the constant false accusations, the total disrespect. That behavior is beyond comprehension.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:46 PM
n/a

Quote:
Nope, I was here. As I said, I really disliked Reagan. I hated the concept of Star Wars, the drivel that came out of his mouth, his tendency to put big business first. Even so, I didn't call him a bully or an idiot or a misguided fool (which was about the kindest thought I had about him).

The vitriol directed towards Obama on this board is amazing to me. You may not like his policies but he isn't evil personified. I've never seen any other human blamed for so much and given credit for so little. Had he been half as bad as so many of you make him, he would not have been re-elected.

I can understand disliking certain of his policies but I will never understand the constant false accusations, the total disrespect. That behavior is beyond comprehension.
Well said. This has to be the longest eight years of some of these posters lives, and they have eight more years to look forward to. Two words: sore losers. Two more words: landslide victory.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:08 PM
n/a

Quote:

Not sure what Reagan has to do with anything.

Have you read some of the posts aimed at George Bush ?

Not defending but responding to your post. Man was falsely accused before he was elected....Dan Rather lost his job trying to set him up.....on this very board, he was called any name that you can think of.

I think this President has been treated with kid gloves by both the media and on here.

It appears that since NOBODY GIVES ANY EXAMPLES that is just that he is "your guy" and somebody criticizes him.

Actually, if anything, this President has had a number of breaks. He is not called on lies.....his screw ups are not spotlighted.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:33 PM
n/a

Quote:
Not sure what Reagan has to do with anything.

Have you read some of the posts aimed at George Bush ?

Not defending but responding to your post. Man was falsely accused before he was elected....Dan Rather lost his job trying to set him up.....on this very board, he was called any name that you can think of.

I think this President has been treated with kid gloves by both the media and on here.

It appears that since NOBODY GIVES ANY EXAMPLES that is just that he is "your guy" and somebody criticizes him.

Actually, if anything, this President has had a number of breaks. He is not called on lies.....his screw ups are not spotlighted.
When he was elected I said I would give him the benefit of the doubt until his first State of the Union address.

I look at people who are in a given job and responsibility and judge them on several factors. One is do they keep their promises? Two, do they do what they say they are going to do? Are they meeting the objectives and commitments made?

It was easy for me to say at the end of one year, if Obama was working for me he would have been let go for lack of performance. After one year!!!!!
I do not accept th new guy only on for a year. That does not work for top level executives. They own it from day one. No excuses and first and foremost no blaming the man/woman one just replaced.

His claim to fame is he can talk and charm the the gullible and easy to hook.
He was like a pied piper and the sheeple fell for it and even voted him in a second time.

A case study of his accomplishment could be to take each state of the union speech....what he committed.....and then come back and update what has changed since the speech.

Just go back and look at his first 6 months in office when his party had control of both houses of the Congress. How much did he get done with such a deep bench?

As was said in another post...he was and continues to be well insulated by the media that overlooks ANY bad light cast upon or cast by his administarion.
He manages the news allowed.

Lastly it takes a team player in a top position, which he has demonstrated time and again he is not. Another good case study would be to review his relationsahips with the military leaders of this nation.

Now entering his 7th year is the only positive I see......less than two years to get rid of him.....and hope we the people and the congress can effect enough damage control for the remainder of his term.

I can respect the office of the POTUS....I can not respect a non performer who is allowed to continue unchecked.

A top executive who is in over his head with the luxury of not having a boss capable of removing him from the job.
That is how I see it plain and simple.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:50 PM
n/a

It seems to me that those who feel "Respect for the Office" is somehow an issue to be discussed are basically grasping for straws.

Having an end game, NOT of what happens relative to our country, but rather how well your party does in elections, tells me not only do you not care about the issues, you have a total lack of understanding of them.

Political forum is for Political discussion. It is not to discuss respect for anyone or lack there of. I would much prefer folks bring up issues to talk about, not this mundane and totally irrelavent stuff.

Time to change channels and get informed and try , if possible, to use a perspective of what might be good for our country and not your party, whether that comes from Democrats or Republicans.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:55 PM
n/a

Default Lets

Quote:
It seems to me that those who feel "Respect for the Office" is somehow an issue to be discussed are basically grasping for straws.

Having an end game, NOT of what happens relative to our country, but rather how well your party does in elections, tells me not only do you not care about the issues, you have a total lack of understanding of them.

Political forum is for Political discussion. It is not to discuss respect for anyone or lack there of. I would much prefer folks bring up issues to talk about, not this mundane and totally irrelavent stuff.

Time to change channels and get informed and try , if possible, to use a perspective of what might be good for our country and not your party, whether that comes from Democrats or Republicans.
Face it, the reason we belong to political parties is they best represent our interests. We have a tendency to look after what we think is best. What is missing is any chance of compromise and that I put squarely on the tea party. Even Reagan had to work with congress. This last 8 years have been a just say no philosophy perpetuated by these my way or the highway ultra right wingers. The Dems haven't moved to the left at all, the right has moved so far out there they are basically out of reach. Till that changes, nothing will be accomplished. You can bet there will NOT be a republican president in the near future as you have managed to alienate just about every MINORITY group out there. Good luck with that!
Old 02-06-2015, 06:17 PM
n/a

Quote:
Face it, the reason we belong to political parties is they best represent our interests. We have a tendency to look after what we think is best. What is missing is any chance of compromise and that I put squarely on the tea party. Even Reagan had to work with congress. This last 8 years have been a just say no philosophy perpetuated by these my way or the highway ultra right wingers. The Dems haven't moved to the left at all, the right has moved so far out there they are basically out of reach. Till that changes, nothing will be accomplished. You can bet there will NOT be a republican president in the near future as you have managed to alienate just about every MINORITY group out there. Good luck with that!
Republicans Re-Elect Party Chair Reince Priebus for 2016 Campaign

Their own chairman said "If we don't win in 2016, the republican party, as we know it, will not continue to exist". And as you said, a party cannot alienate so many groups of voters and expect to win. They keep saying they want to reach out and be inclusive, but their policies say otherwise.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:26 PM
n/a

Quote:
Can you validate any of your charges ?

I CAN show and validate the opposite !

Where, or what year should I begin, and I am speaking of BACKING up with facts.

But you have made serious charges and I welcome you to prove them.

By the way, I have NEVER EVER voted a straight party ticket. I have supported many of Obama s policies , and be glad to both show you post from me to that effect.

I, also, while you are correct that I am a registered Republican, was once employed by the Democratic Party. I have participated in marches on their behalf.

So, get of your preachy high horse and speak to issues. May I take you back to manipulating the laws of the U.S. senate to pass the affordable care act, or in that same vein, ignoring input AND legislation from the Republicans to add to that bill. Or just off the top of my head, since you feel the Democratic Party leads the world in goodness, the last increase in min wage became law because President Bush stood up and backed the democrats.

This President has been insulting and publicly humiliating to anyone who dares to oppose him on any subject.

EVERY PRESIDENTIAL HISTORIAN has commented on this President s lack of co operation, or inclination to do so..IN HISTORY. So you do not have facts on your side at all. You are mouthing the spin from whatever source.

I will wait for your factual backups...key being FACTUAL, not talk from the spin
Old 02-06-2015, 06:30 PM
n/a

Quote:
Republicans Re-Elect Party Chair Reince Priebus for 2016 Campaign

Their own chairman said "If we don't win in 2016, the republican party, as we know it, will not continue to exist". And as you said, a party cannot alienate so many groups of voters and expect to win. They keep saying they want to reach out and be inclusive, but their policies say otherwise.
And I am naive I suppose thinking PARTIES do not set policy and you exclude the entire quote...I will not accuse you of doing it on purpose, but he said, but you XCLUDED. "As it exists today"

At least be honest...and you also did not include where he was speaking and to whom.

Cheap trick
Old 02-06-2015, 06:41 PM
n/a

Even Nancy Pelosi is calling him on his "stuff". Wake up and smell the coffee - he simply talks the talk and has no interest in negotiating with anyone that doesn't do what he wants. I only pray we make it though the next few years with as little damage as possible.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:29 PM
n/a

There have been frequent mentions from selected posters to the Tampa Bay Times and their POLITICFACT portion where they measure lying by public figures. I can tell you from living there for a bit, that the Times is a VERY VERY left wing paper.

Having said that, to those who think we should be treating this President with such respect...I offer this, from the Times

All False statements involving Barack Obama | PolitiFact

It is FOUR pages of what they are calling lies by our President...FOUR PAGES.

Now, having said that, I put very little stock into some of these things as defining a lie in politics and statemanship is tough. I would prefer to discuss issues and am only responding because folks are coming on here like this man has been persecuted when in fact it is just the opposite.

I certainly will not hold back on pointing out his lies but would prefer to move on to issue that are facing us today. If a lie of his is involved so be it.....

I say again to those who are so worried about how he is treated....not sure where you were between 2001 and 2008 but wow......not saying much was not deserved but again....keep in mind....you run for this office, you will be the most criticized man on earth and to blame mistakes or errors on being disrespectful is simply foolhardy and the epitome of simple party before country thinking.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.