How Can One Columnist Say It So Succinctly?

Old 03-20-2011, 10:40 PM
n/a

Default How Can One Columnist Say It So Succinctly?

Just a couple sentences from Tom Friedman's column in the New York Times today pretty much says it all...

"...At a time when Japan is suffering a nuclear catastrophe that is likely to make the world even more dependent on oil and gas, at a time when the world’s top oil and gas producers are entering what will be, at best, an unstable, and, at worst, a viciously violent transition from autocracy to, one hopes, democracy, and at a time when the combination of the two could slow down global growth while we’re still trying to climb out of recession, America has no energy policy, no climate policy and no long-term plan to deal with its unsustainable deficit.

We’re basically saying to the market and Mother Nature: “Bring it on. We’re going to be dumb as we wanna be and put off all these big decisions, possibly until 2013, after the next presidential election, because our two political parties would rather focus on winning the next election and blaming the other guy than making hard choices....”

The entire column can be read at...
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/20/op...rssnyt&emc=rss
Old 03-21-2011, 06:25 AM
n/a

nothing new,business as usual for this exceptional country,
Old 03-21-2011, 10:34 AM
n/a

Default And soon add to the list taking responsibility for

the "war" in Libya. NATO said this morning they are not interested in being the lead. The other members of the so called coalition said they do not have the assets. So let's see if our not so planning/thinking politicians in charge are dumb enough to take the bait.

I don't believe in chain letters but I would support copying VK's first paragraph and inundate Obama. Not that it would have any effect because the actions are not on his agenda.

2012 elections can't get here soon enough.

btk
Old 03-21-2011, 12:27 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynet View Post
nothing new,business as usual for this exceptional country,
Virtually all of our Presidents up to the present have been willing to take unpopular actions that they know will cost them if they believe it is in the best interest of the country: Harry Truman and the firing of Douglas MacArthur; Dwight D Eisenhower and the forced integration as well as the U2 fiasco; JFK and the Bay of Pigs as well as getting involved in Vietnam; LBJ with the expansion of the Vietnam war and the push for Civil Rights; Nixon with the China trip; Gerald Ford and the Nixon pardon; Jimmy Carter and nothing; Reagan and the Air Traffic Controllers as well as the Marine Barracks in Lebanon; George H. W. Bush and the first Gulf War; Bill Clinton with NAFTA and welfare reform; George W. Bush and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan; and now Obama – it appears we have gone back to the days of Jimmy Carter.

Presidents are there to take the hard decisions and provide leadership. This nation is fortunate that most of our Presidents have done just that.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:34 PM
n/a

Default Obama has demonstrated for two full years he will not

and does not take ANY positions that involve risk (to him, his special interests or getting re-elected).

He is a populist (if you happen to like that which is on his agenda).

Obama makes Jimmy Carter come across as aggressive.

btk
Old 03-21-2011, 01:42 PM
n/a

Default When will our embarrassment end???

I absolutely cannot BELIEVE what a total nincompoop that man is!! Every day it is something new. What in heaven's name is he doing in South America, for crying out loud!! A "working vacation" my happy Aunt Harriet!! He hasn't worked one day in his life at anything other than self-aggrandizement!! What an absolute waste of time this man is. There is just no excuse for him.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:07 PM
n/a

Mr. Friedman's market fears and hysteria aside; I have to wonder about his take on the energy issues. He trashes our use of fossil fuels and mocks the proponents of domestic drilling and wonders where the push to develop "clean energy" is. What exactly is he calling for, and what solutions does this "great thinker" propose to add to our energy grid to take their place. There is presently only one technology that can take the place of oil fired power plants at this time and that is nuclear energy, and I'm sure he not advocating nuclear plant growth.

I don't think the American people want to see their standard of living devolve. So, what is the answer? We either gamble on the ability to procure oil on the open market or we drill for our own. Is there another practical solution?
Old 03-22-2011, 02:26 PM
n/a

A quote from the President while vacationing in Brazil...

""We want to help you with the technology and support to develop these oil reserves safely. And when you're ready to start selling, we want to be one of your best customers."

That was his quote...this an editorial comment...

"His "What, me worry?" presidency has given both Americans and our allies plenty to worry about. But in the process of making nice with Brazil, Obama made a mind-boggling announcement that should make even his most loyal supporter cringe:

We will help Brazil develop its offshore oil so we can one day import it.

http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnal...azil-Drill.htm
Old 03-25-2011, 03:27 PM
n/a

Default How Can One Columist...

Mom always ask me to find one nice thing about a person. Obama really knows how to relax by taking frequent and expensive family vacations even when things are going haywire in the country.....God bless his heart
Old 03-25-2011, 08:18 PM
n/a

Default George Bush Vacations

George W. Bush took 1020 days of vacation during his term of office as President. That is more than 1/3 of the total time he was President and sets the record for the number of vacation days.

Carter took a total of 79 days. Clinton took a total of 152 days in 8 years. Bush Sr. took 543 days in 4 years.

Have a great day in The Villages - Florida's friendliest hometown. Golf was pretty good today at Bacall but the sunset over the golfcourse was the highlight. Hope Rubicon, Bucco, RichieLion, and Blue Heron made it over to Lake Sumter Landing for the Mini-Cooper drive-in. There were some really great cars to see and the place was filled with Villagers and their families. Too bad you guys have never taken me up on an offer to meet and discuss things over a beer or two.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:32 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
George W. Bush took 1020 days of vacation during his term of office as President. That is more than 1/3 of the total time he was President and sets the record for the number of vacation days.

Carter took a total of 79 days. Clinton took a total of 152 days in 8 years. Bush Sr. took 543 days in 4 years.

Have a great day in The Villages - Florida's friendliest hometown. Golf was pretty good today at Bacall but the sunset over the golfcourse was the highlight. Hope Rubicon, Bucco, RichieLion, and Blue Heron made it over to Lake Sumter Landing for the Mini-Cooper drive-in. There were some really great cars to see and the place was filled with Villagers and their families. Too bad you guys have never taken me up on an offer to meet and discuss things over a beer or two.
Wonderful...we KNOW how you feel about Bush...boy do we know...but how do you feel about the President's comments on assisting Brazil in oil production or Cuba drilling right off our shore or the President's comments on buying from Brazil after helping them ?

Your posts seem to indicate that YOU are happy and safe and wonderful thus why is anyone concerned about the future of the country..not sure if that is correct but you seem to post that way !
Old 03-26-2011, 08:19 PM
n/a

Default not to change to subject

JFK did not get us in nam it really started in the late 50's. One of the reasons I feel is the recession in the50's. A war economy use to be profitable to a degree for industry. But back then we had manufacturing in this country now we have to buy everything from someone else and that alone will break us.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.