Sadly this is true

Old 02-16-2015, 08:47 AM
n/a

Default Sadly this is true

While I opposed the election of our current President from way back in 2007, I did, after a bit hold out hope that maybe just maybe he might be what he said he was and what he appeared to be......

" And in his Inaugural Address in January 2009, he said: “We have come to proclaim an end to the petty grievances and false promises, the petty recriminations and worn-out dogmas that for far too long have strangled our politics .  .  . the time has come to set aside childish things.”

As he left the inaugural ceremony, former House speaker Newt Gingrich told his wife, Calista, “If he’ll govern the way he just spoke, he’ll be Eisenhower. .  .  . He’ll split the Republican party. He’ll dominate the country.”

BUT.....

"But Obama hasn’t governed like Ike, a unifying national leader. Almost instantly, he became a highly partisan president. He had promised to consult Republicans in Congress and listen to their ideas. Yet he’s done that rarely and then usually in a false show of bipartisanship. He insinuates Republicans have nothing worthwhile to tell him."

"President Obama’s claim to have disapproved of gay marriage until he changed his mind in 2012 has been exposed as a lie. It was a small, politically expedient lie, but it got a lot of attention last week. Meanwhile a bigger lie hovers over the Obama presidency like an avenging angel, unseen and unheard.

The bigger lie wasn’t a fleeting comment. It was the crux of Obama’s presidential campaign. He didn’t say he was more liberal and more experienced than his opponents. But he did say he knew how to cleanse Washington of political and ideological polarization, raging partisanship, the frequency of personal attacks, and general dysfunction. This made him unique—and very, very appealing.

"And though he had positioned himself as a champion of national unity, Obama has been a divisive force on racial, economic, and political concerns. He spoke out in racially loaded controversies involving the brief arrest in Cambridge, Massachusetts, of Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates and later the killing of Trayvon Martin, saying he saw the Florida teenager as the son he didn’t have."

"But Obama has put himself in a higher class, morally speaking. He did this with his 2004 speech at the Democratic convention. “There is not a liberal America and a conservative America—there is the United States of America,” he said. “There is not a black America and a white America and Latino America and Asian America—there’s the United States of America.”

Great speech. Too bad Obama acts as if he never spoke those inspiring words."

An opinion piece to be sure and the author is someone who I do not always agree with, but he really nailed this. A very frustrating time and someone said on this forum yesterday to "remember you heard it here first",....well, allow me to say that once this presidency is over,not matter who wins the WH, I say you will read so much about the last years that will be shocking and you will hear it from Democrats !!!!

The link below to the article has much more detail, and it might be wise to read it, but it makes me sad, really. ON the old political forum, he certainly generated a lot of hope.

He
Old 02-16-2015, 01:41 PM
n/a

The real sad part is Americans are addicted to "something for nothing". That is why we elect the people we do. A real leader that tells us there is no free lunch has absolutely no chance of being elected. That is as true in The Villages as it is Detroit. It has already started for 2016.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:27 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
The real sad part is Americans are addicted to "something for nothing". That is why we elect the people we do. A real leader that tells us there is no free lunch has absolutely no chance of being elected. That is as true in The Villages as it is Detroit. It has already started for 2016.
Unfortunately, the Left's addiction to 'free stuff' has historically proven to be a winning argument with most people, especially since most people are uniformed. Equally unfortunate, it also results in the cycle of working our way from abundance to dependence and ultimately back into bondage.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:39 PM
n/a

Quote:
Unfortunately, the Left's addiction to 'free stuff' has historically proven to be a winning argument with most people, especially since most people are uniformed. Equally unfortunate, it also results in the cycle of working our way from abundance to dependence and ultimately back into bondage.
Which of the Left's programs would you like to see abolished; Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, the ACA, the Voting Rights Act, Equal Rights Act, Violence Against Women Act, The Lily Ledbetter Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, Head Start, the Peace Corps? All programs started by
Democrats, that Republicans have been trying to get rid of since their inception.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:19 PM
n/a

Quote:
Which of the Left's programs would you like to see abolished; Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, the ACA, the Voting Rights Act, Equal Rights Act, Violence Against Women Act, The Lily Ledbetter Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, Head Start, the Peace Corps? All programs started by
Democrats, that Republicans have been trying to get rid of since their inception.
Nothing can ever be changed nor any program ever cut...it's all sacred. Head Start has been a raging success, and the Peace Corps ...hey money well spent right?. Medicaid and ACA ... we need to get more illegal aliens into the Country so we can bankrupt the USA more quickly and atone for our Western sins and perhaps finally assuage our liberal guilt.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:37 PM
n/a

Quote:
I will require links to validate the fact that "Republicans have been trying to get rid of since their inception." the following programs...

Social Security
Medicare
Medicaid
Voting Rights ACT
Equal Rights Act
Equal Pay for Equal Work Act,
Head Start
the Peace Corps

Please they must be specific and mention the efforts of the Republican Party trying to get rid of them SINCE THEIR INCEPTION. Not individual quotes, because I can find democratic quotes that oppose each of them...but that the Republican Party, from inception, has been attempting to trying to get rid of. And they must be NEWS articles, not the smear campaigns waged by mostly the Soros group

THEN, lets have a thread to discuss attempts by the Republican party to delete fat from, if not all, most of those programs, BUT NEVER TO ELIMINATE.

I might mention that much discussion is required to even get started. For example, the Lilly Ledbetter act....legislation already in place that can and was doing the same thing....political act and much to do to gain political gain. It goes on, and I am willing to disuss each of those, BUT NOT IN THE TERMS YOU PROVIDE.....AS seems to be the case a lot on here....you cannot discuss these things out of context formed around an accusation. I will not be put on the defensive on terms that are not real. Each is a discussion.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:48 PM
n/a

Quote:
Nothing can ever be changed nor any program ever cut...it's all sacred. Head Start has been a raging success, and the Peace Corps ...hey money well spent right?. Medicaid and ACA ... we need to get more illegal aliens into the Country so we can bankrupt the USA more quickly and atone for our Western sins and perhaps finally assuage our liberal guilt.
Only 17% of nation supports the GOP's attempt to overturn President Obama's immigration policies

It's interesting that according to Religion Research that only 17% support an attempt to overturn Persident Obama's immigration policies.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:44 PM
n/a

Quote:
Only 17% of nation supports the GOP's attempt to overturn President Obama's immigration policies

It's interesting that according to Religion Research that only 17% support an attempt to overturn Persident Obama's immigration policies.
Now there's a reliable, unbiased source of information.....
Old 02-16-2015, 04:46 PM
n/a

Quote:

Very deceptive of you. Your headline is not true at all.....you mislead.

The question gave THREE options as an answer..

Pass a comprehensive immigration bill
Overturn Obama immigration policies
Both
Do not know

i am surprised the percentage is so small actually. Cannot think of any republican or democrat that does not favor option 1, which garnered 73%.

Being unsure of what the Presidents policies are, the 17% makes sense.

Of course everyone wants it..ie., comprehensive reform.

The question is how to handle this budget situation caused by the Presidents proclamation. It was a genius political move, but not so good for the country. If goal was political victory, rather than good policy...Obama wins.

Most Presidents, no maybe ALL previous Presidents have on going communications with congress (current President does not even talk to his own party) which allows for negotiations and compromise. This President is all about POLITICAL victory (see Alinsky) not so much good policy, and he wins on this one because the Republicans are on the spot.

Once again, his unilateral actions prevent any move forward (notice all things he has done were all with heavy handed means, even when his party had majority), and thus alienates everyone again.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:47 PM
n/a

By the way...WHAT DOES THE SURVEY PRESENTED HAVE TO DO WITH THE LINK THAT STARTED THIS THREAD ?

I mean other than just another diversion
Old 02-16-2015, 06:16 PM
n/a

Quote:
Now there's a reliable, unbiased source of information.....

If you google the subject, you will find at least 200 different sources supporting the statement that a vast majority of americans support the President on this issue.

Here is just one;

Public Polling On Immigration Reform - Immigration Reform | America's Voice
Old 02-16-2015, 06:29 PM
n/a

Quote:
If you google the subject, you will find at least 200 different sources supporting the statement that a vast majority of americans support the President on this issue.

Here is just one;

Public Polling On Immigration Reform - Immigration Reform | America's Voice
AS the person who began this thread, I respectfully ask that you stop trying to hijack this thread and please comment on the article posted in post 1.

If you feel a need to post polls, please begin your own thread.

Thank you....second request !
Old 02-17-2015, 12:03 PM
n/a

Quote:
Both of these quotes demonstrate very well why we cannot address issues facing the country. We really do need a balanced budget amendment that will make us look at all spending to make sure it is absolutely necessary and then make us pay what ever taxes are necessary to support it, including defense spending. I come from the private sector and accustomed to zero based budgeting. It is clear the "ruling class has never heard of it. Unfortuately we would need leaders for that to happen.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:21 PM
n/a

Quote:
While I opposed the election of our current President from way back in 2007, I did, after a bit hold out hope that maybe just maybe he might be what he said he was and what he appeared to be......

" And in his Inaugural Address in January 2009, he said: “We have come to proclaim an end to the petty grievances and false promises, the petty recriminations and worn-out dogmas that for far too long have strangled our politics .  .  . the time has come to set aside childish things.”

As he left the inaugural ceremony, former House speaker Newt Gingrich told his wife, Calista, “If he’ll govern the way he just spoke, he’ll be Eisenhower. .  .  . He’ll split the Republican party. He’ll dominate the country.”

BUT.....

"But Obama hasn’t governed like Ike, a unifying national leader. Almost instantly, he became a highly partisan president. He had promised to consult Republicans in Congress and listen to their ideas. Yet he’s done that rarely and then usually in a false show of bipartisanship. He insinuates Republicans have nothing worthwhile to tell him."

"President Obama’s claim to have disapproved of gay marriage until he changed his mind in 2012 has been exposed as a lie. It was a small, politically expedient lie, but it got a lot of attention last week. Meanwhile a bigger lie hovers over the Obama presidency like an avenging angel, unseen and unheard.

The bigger lie wasn’t a fleeting comment. It was the crux of Obama’s presidential campaign. He didn’t say he was more liberal and more experienced than his opponents. But he did say he knew how to cleanse Washington of political and ideological polarization, raging partisanship, the frequency of personal attacks, and general dysfunction. This made him unique—and very, very appealing.

"And though he had positioned himself as a champion of national unity, Obama has been a divisive force on racial, economic, and political concerns. He spoke out in racially loaded controversies involving the brief arrest in Cambridge, Massachusetts, of Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates and later the killing of Trayvon Martin, saying he saw the Florida teenager as the son he didn’t have."

"But Obama has put himself in a higher class, morally speaking. He did this with his 2004 speech at the Democratic convention. “There is not a liberal America and a conservative America—there is the United States of America,” he said. “There is not a black America and a white America and Latino America and Asian America—there’s the United States of America.”

Great speech. Too bad Obama acts as if he never spoke those inspiring words."

An opinion piece to be sure and the author is someone who I do not always agree with, but he really nailed this. A very frustrating time and someone said on this forum yesterday to "remember you heard it here first",....well, allow me to say that once this presidency is over,not matter who wins the WH, I say you will read so much about the last years that will be shocking and you will hear it from Democrats !!!!

The link below to the article has much more detail, and it might be wise to read it, but it makes me sad, really. ON the old political forum, he certainly generated a lot of hope.

He

I agree that Obama does not come across as the warmest of people and that he appears to be more aloof than people like Clinton but perhaps we should recall that immediately after the election Mitch McConnell and the republican party made their number one priority to make sure that President Obama would not be reelected. At a time when our financial systems were collapsing and millions on main street were losing their jobs, all the republicans wanted to do was to insure that he would be a one term president. Despite that, President Obama selected people from both parties to serve in his cabinet and tried to meet in the middle. Every effort was rebuffed simply because the right wanted him out of office.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:38 PM
n/a

Quote:
I agree that Obama does not come across as the warmest of people and that he appears to be more aloof than people like Clinton but perhaps we should recall that immediately after the election Mitch McConnell and the republican party made their number one priority to make sure that President Obama would not be reelected. At a time when our financial systems were collapsing and millions on main street were losing their jobs, all the republicans wanted to do was to insure that he would be a one term president. Despite that, President Obama selected people from both parties to serve in his cabinet and tried to meet in the middle. Every effort was rebuffed simply because the right wanted him out of office.
You make some points, and I have a time crunch to respond, but I have said this a numer of times on this forum.

To me, the single largest issue was the Affordable Care Act. Never, in my long life have I ever seen a President and congress in tandem step on anyone and everything publicly and twist and contort senate rules and go behind close doors to pass a law while, and I will get you exact quotes tomorrow, mocking the Republican Party. This was in early 2010, and in my opinion after the payoffs, and mocking crushed any chance of cooperation.

McConnell made his comment NOT at or after the election but in 2010 after the Obama care disaster. Trust me, that law will be tainted forever,not 100% because of what is in it, but because of the unprecedented manner it was put through congress

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.