State Department

Old 03-01-2017, 01:48 PM
n/a

Default State Department

Not sure I understand the Trump administration and its obvious disregard for our State Department.

I selected two links to share....first one deals with the bi partisan objection to the major cuts asked by the administration....

"A Trump administration proposal to slash funding for the State Department and foreign aid is unlikely to be approved by Congress, lawmakers from both parties said Tuesday.

“It’s dead on arrival,” Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) said in an interview with NBC. “It’s not gonna happen. It would be a disaster.”

Possible budget cuts to State Dept., foreign aid draw bipartisan opposition - The Washington Post

Seems they want to increase the military spending and cut the State by something like 30 %

"An administration official had said Monday that Trump will propose an increase in defense-related spending by $54 billion and cuts to other federal agencies.

The State Department and USAID’s current annual budget is $50.1 billion, slightly more than 1 percent of the total federal budget. A cut of 30 percent or more would force major cuts in diplomatic and development programs around the world, and Graham and others said it misunderstands the role that diplomacy and aid play in keeping Americans safe.

“If you take soft power off the table then you’re never going to win the war,” Graham said in the NBC interview. “What’s most disturbing about the cut in the State Department’s budget is it shows a lack of understanding of what it takes to win the war.”

You wonder about the effect this has on career State Dept employees....NOT AFFLIATED WITH ANY POLITICAL CAMP AT ALL

"A lot of this, the employee said, is because there is now a “much smaller decision circle.” And many State staffers are surprised to find themselves on the outside. “They really want to blow this place up,” said the mid-level State Department officer. “I don’t think this administration thinks the State Department needs to exist. They think Jared [Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law] can do everything. It’s reminiscent of the developing countries where I’ve served. The family rules everything, and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs knows nothing.”

The State of Trump's State Department - The Atlantic

Note the Secy of State has not been invited to any of the meetings with foreign officials thus far, and has been in on NO counseling at all on foreign affairs.

Not sure I understand the, what seems to be fervent desire to simply waste the State Department
Old 03-01-2017, 02:10 PM
n/a

Is there anyone on this board who believes the State Department has been exemplary these past 8 years.
deadwood got to go. The State Department ordered seminars etc for its employees because they were suffering from PSTD because Hillary Clinton lost the election and they couldn't handle it.

Trump is not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Lindsey Graham's a bit excitable at times

Personal Best Regards:
Old 03-01-2017, 02:16 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
Is there anyone on this board who believes the State Department has been exemplary these past 8 years.
deadwood got to go. The State Department ordered seminars etc for its employees because they were suffering from PSTD because Hillary Clinton lost the election and they couldn't handle it.

Trump is not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Lindsey Graham's a bit excitable at times

Personal Best Regards:
Since you offer not any evidence to support your rating of the Unites States department of State I will ask you if you feel comfortable about not involving the scy of state in foreign affairs....he has been available and simply not invited.

While you have some kind of poepwer to take down an entities Stare Department, you probably know what so share with us dummies.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:58 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyrd View Post
Since you offer not any evidence to support your rating of the Unites States department of State I will ask you if you feel comfortable about not involving the scy of state in foreign affairs....he has been available and simply not invited.

While you have some kind of poepwer to take down an entities Stare Department, you probably know what so share with us dummies.
You mean the State Department that created your so called Muslim ban??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2017, 05:21 PM
n/a

AID wastes tons of money. If you could see how they waste money overseas, you would not believe it. Cut funds to AID to begin with. There really isn't much waste in the State Dept to cut. It is already doing without funding it really needs to function. If you need to do any cutting to the SD, cut it in D.C. There are a lot of gov employees that should have been fired when they were removed from the field, but thanks to the union, they are enjoying cushy jobs and getting a great salary.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:35 PM
n/a

Any thoughts except for attacking our State Department on these subjects I tried to bring up in my OP...

1. Does it make sense to increase the military spending and decrease the State Department at the same time at high numbers ? By the way, the State Department has not met with the media for 6 weeks.

2. Does it make sense to not invite the Secy of State to meetings with other countries and replace him with Jared Kushner or Ivanka Trump which has been the real case ?

Tags
state, department

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.