politics - free speech stifled

Old 05-27-2011, 12:45 PM
n/a

Angry politics - free speech stifled

I'm really sick and tired of the way the developer and his minions suppress free speeech in our town squares. Protesters at yesterday's appearance of Gov Scott at Lake Sumter Landing were removed from the town square by Sumpter County law enforcement, according to an article in the Ocala Star-Banner. Isn't that a violation of our right to free speech? Doesn't that violate the purpose and historical significance of a "town square".
I'd like to know what your feeling is about this. Yes, the developer can invite whomever he wants to speak. And contribute to candidates of his choice. But this supression of opposing opinion is WRONG!!. Let's see if someone agrees with me on this and other difficulties faced by those of us who are not in the developer's political camp.
Thanks for your feedback
Old 05-27-2011, 01:17 PM
n/a

Default Already discussed

It's already been discussed how the event was held on private property, and protesters were allowed across the street and close by. The thread is "What's wrong with this picture".

Comparisons there, to Hitler etc., only make one look juvenile, paranoid or ignorant. Nobody bought a home nor stays living here under threat of a gas chamber.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:18 PM
n/a

In a Democracy yes, but this is not a Democracy. We have a benevolent or non- benveloent (take your pick) Monarch. In another thread I made mention that this is a very different place and a number of members jumped all over me but it is. for better or worse (you choose) Cdd are a different form of governement
Old 05-27-2011, 01:49 PM
n/a

Default He Owns It...He Can Do What He Wishes

The town squares and all the commercial property around them are owned and managed by the Central Development District (CDD), which is owned by The Villages, which is owned by the Morse family. While the choice of speakers permitted within The Villages may be objectionable to some, it's hard to argue that the guy that owns things doesn't have the right to invite who he wishes to appear and speak on his private property.

There may be some interesting legal questions about other parts of The Villages though. While the big rec centers are owned by the CDD and managed by the Recreation Department, which is part of TV organizational structure, both organizations must now take a significant amount of direction from an elected board of residents. It seems to me that if a majority of that board wishes to have equal representation from the political parties or candidates for office, they could direct the CCD and the Rec Department to make sure that happens.

But you might ask, given the makeup of The Villages, what chance might there be that the board managing the rec facilities would direct the developer to have just as many Democratic or liberal speakers or events as Republican speakers or gatherings? The answer is pretty self-evident, isn't it?
Old 05-27-2011, 02:26 PM
n/a

Yep, love it or leave it.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:37 PM
n/a

Hey guys,

"Protestors" were moved from the town square to across the street onto public sidewalks. It involved maybe 100 feet at the most. What is the big deal over this? Do you really want to see groups of seniors going toe-to-toe although it would make YouTube real fast.

Security was present. It should be present. Look at what happened in Arizona to Gabby Giffords - and Floridians can carry pistols just like in Arizona if they have a permit (easily obtained). I am all in favor of security for all public officials.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:01 PM
n/a

Default This was advertised in The Daiy sun as a Public event and all were invited.

The event at Market square was advertisied as a PUBLIC Not Private event. What happened at the square was very disturbing to see. The intimidation tactics employed by the the security team of The Governor were very Scary. No one was there to threaten the Governor. There were others who were also asked to leave. Those asked to leave evidently do not agree with Governor Scotts operation of his new Company, The State of Florida Inc.

What was really interesting was when the students ( looked like middle school children) from the Charter school were brought in on school buses and handed signs from either their teachers or others to display. Where were the students from Lady Lake, Fruitland Park or Wildwood?
opps I guess they are not allowed in The Vilages.

I guess the lifestyle thing is really true. Drink the kool aid and shut up. Very upsetting.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:56 PM
n/a

Protesters have no right to disrupt this event. Also, in light of the Gabrielle Giffords event, all possible precautions have to be taken to protect the Governor.

You have no legal standing in demanding access to the governor's security area on this section of private property. You weren't abused or arrested; you were told to cross the street. I hope you stayed out of Starbucks; you don't need the caffeine.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:57 PM
n/a

JJ Shrugged.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:16 PM
n/a

According to the latest Quinnipiac poll, Scott's approval rating is down to only 29% so I guess he decided to come to about the only place in Florida that still likes him. He couldn't have just signed that piece of crap in his office and saved we taxpayers a bit of that precious money? The only reason to move the people who protested was because of the news coverage of the event - we can't have any dissention in TV, can we?
Old 05-28-2011, 01:20 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by playfair View Post
I'm really sick and tired of the way the developer and his minions suppress free speeech in our town squares. Protesters at yesterday's appearance of Gov Scott at Lake Sumter Landing were removed from the town square by Sumpter County law enforcement, according to an article in the Ocala Star-Banner. Isn't that a violation of our right to free speech? Doesn't that violate the purpose and historical significance of a "town square".
I'd like to know what your feeling is about this. Yes, the developer can invite whomever he wants to speak. And contribute to candidates of his choice. But this supression of opposing opinion is WRONG!!. Let's see if someone agrees with me on this and other difficulties faced by those of us who are not in the developer's political camp.
Thanks for your feedback
Playfair

Welcome to the forum and I hope you stick around. I read your post with interest and do have a few points where I disagree:

1. The term ‘minion’ is one loaded with a lack of respect for the people you are referring to. A follower or underling of an important person. Normally a servile or unimportant one. This does not accurately describe any of the people I have met here.
2. Most of the long-term residents of the area that I have met (outside of residents of the Villages) hold a very low regard for the Ocala Star Banner, referring to it as the Ocala Star Blunder. It is owned by the NY Times corp. and is at least as liberal as that paper. No friend to either the Villages or Gary Morse. Perhaps a counterweight to The Daily Sun, but I believe one more inclined to state opinion as news.
3. I feel that the idea that this was suppression of free speech has already been adequately answered., but can be discussed more if you are of a mind to do this.

Again, welcome to the forum.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:24 AM
n/a

Default No one demanded anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
Protesters have no right to disrupt this event. Also, in light of the Gabrielle Giffords event, all possible precautions have to be taken to protect the Governor.

You have no legal standing in demanding access to the governor's security area on this section of private property. You weren't abused or arrested; you were told to cross the street. I hope you stayed out of Starbucks; you don't need the caffeine.
This was advertised as a public event. No one demanded anything. These people had as much right to be seated as evryone else that was there.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:04 PM
n/a

Richie your assumption of protesters "disrupting" the signing is wrong. Peaceful protest is a right of all Americans regardless of political belief and to defend anyone who takes that away is very scary. I cannot believe some of you defending the security agents just because your politics is different from the protesters. Did you say the same thing about the civil rights and viet nam protesters?
Old 05-28-2011, 02:41 PM
n/a

To those posting on this thread...

Were any of you actually there for the ceremony ? And if so, can you describe what happened ??/
Old 05-28-2011, 03:09 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags123 View Post
To those posting on this thread...

Were any of you actually there for the ceremony ? And if so, can you describe what happened ??/
I was at the square shopping. We were curious that the Tea Party people were allow on the square, and those with Democratic Tee shirts were forced to stay on the perimeter. Thought it odd there was a double standard.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.