Don't even think about dropping new lightbulbs

Old 02-18-2011, 08:30 AM
n/a

Default Don't even think about dropping new lightbulbs

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewr...ves/75548.html
Old 02-18-2011, 09:44 AM
n/a

Default Another testament to the government's complete lack of

knowledge or understanding what is in the legislation they pass.
If it wasn't serious it would be funny. So starting in 2014 we can only use light bulbs made in China. Did you know that?

btk
Old 02-18-2011, 01:40 PM
n/a

To take both arguments to their supporting points..

Choose your poison. Either increased smog and pollution from burning more fuel to make more electricity OR an (IMO marginal) increase in pollution in landfills.

Personally, I'll take the latter since there are some pretty strict regulations on what can leach out of a landfill and they're monitored so we know when something's leaking (even if it's late).

Quite frankly, I'm saving money with the CFLs in my house.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:44 PM
n/a

Personally I hate the CFLs.

They are not as bright as a regular light bulb. They are not "instant on". When they die, you are supposed to use special precautions to get rid of them. And they do die. I have had several quit on me. Am I supposed to call HAZMAT to get rid of them? They cannot be used in dimmer switches.

Just another boondoggle by our government who should be working on keeping us safe and sound instead of messing with this stuff.

I can add in the change of two weeks in DST which made many electronic devices obsolete.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:19 PM
n/a

reminds me of ethanol in gasoline....takes something like 2 or 3 gallons of fuel to make a gallon of ethanol. I am sure someone on here will correct me with the exact formulas.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:52 PM
n/a

Total madness, is this Obama's way of pleasing the Chinese who we owe so much debt to, while were at it, lets bring back Chinese drywall, landfills are gonna be full of mercury, thats just great.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:08 PM
n/a

Default Anybody want to bet against the fact that more people will

just throw the CFL's in the trash like any other light bulb?

Now just why are no CFL's made in the USA?

How about Immelt (GE CEO) introducing a low energy bulb here in the USA?
Back in the days when GE as well as others, were in the business of manufacturing, they made sure there was always the next generation of product in the pipe line to continue the manufacturing of the product.
However, GE like a lot of others have taken the easy way out by sourcing the product from outside the USA and just tacking on their profit. No jobs in that exercise!!!!

How about GE commiting to manufacture CFLs here in the USA to protect the current jobs in their lighting businesses????

Saving energy and protecting jobs at home....what a novel concept!?!?!?!?!?

btk
Old 02-18-2011, 05:12 PM
n/a

I truly wonder what would have happened if he had dropped (or thrown) that light bulb? Would they have evacuated? Would he have been arrested for an act of terrorism? Curious minds really wanted to know!
Old 02-18-2011, 06:15 PM
n/a

I, personally, have accumulated an immense stockpile of tried and true and SAFE incandescent bulbs. I'll continue to increase my stockpile as I can and hope to never have to use these toxic CFL bulbs in my household.

The BS we have to put up from wacko environmentalists is mind blowing. To promote some unproven theories on the long term damage man might be causing to the environment in the form of "global warming" (complete nonsense in the view of many, many scientists) We are being FORCED to purchase bulbs containing toxic materials and bringing them into our homes. UNBELIEVABLE!!

I guess we can use candles as an alternative.

DJ rather have the CFL bulbs because there will be strict regulations at the dumps..............seriously??
Old 02-18-2011, 09:33 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky-30 View Post
Total madness, is this Obama's way of pleasing the Chinese who we owe so much debt to, while were at it, lets bring back Chinese drywall, landfills are gonna be full of mercury, thats just great.
For your information, the light bulb legislation was enacted in 2007. If you do you arithmetic really carefully, you will discover the President you despise for doing such awful things wasn't in office yet.

Ignorance and hatred are far worse problems than the difficulty of adjusting to new more efficient products like toilets and light bulbs.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:59 AM
n/a

I would not want to be a trash man when these things start coming out, they are gonna break and his health wont be worth a plug nickel.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:57 AM
n/a

What 'trash man'? At least up here, all the towns are going to automated trucks. One driver and a robot-arm that picks up your specially-designed barrel and dumps it in the hopper.

Oh - and get this. It's cheaper. With the money we saved here in Hudson, NH, we were able to repave some streets without hiking the property taxes. The only thing we've 'lost' is the old rule that allowed us to put ONE piece of furniture by the curb per week. Now we have to find other ways to get rid of broken furniture.

For once, it seems like a money-saving scheme actually WORKED.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:31 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky-30 View Post
I would not want to be a trash man when these things start coming out, they are gonna break and his health wont be worth a plug nickel.
Maybe we should have a specal bag - purple with the radiation sign on it - so they can pick them up in a special truck.

I can see a guy in a HAZMAT suit coming around once a month with special tongs to pick up the bags.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:59 PM
n/a

Remember the movie Armed and dangerous with John Candy where they start working as security guards at a toxic dump, they relieve the other guard crew who come out of the trailer with teeth missing, barely able to walk etc, thats what these bulbs remind me of with the poor trash man, because where I lived at before, they had 3 or 4 guys on a truck handling the trash.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:38 PM
n/a

My experience with CFL's is anything but positive. As others have noted, they put out less light than advertised and the light produced has a yellowish tinge. They cost more and despite the claims seem to burn out as least as quickly as the GE Reveal bulbs I replaced. Like Ritchie, I'm stocking up on the old bulbs.

The primary reason that CFL's are not made in this country is not cost, but environmental. The EPA would never approve such a plant just as they do not approve plants that recycle electronic hardware. Out government seems to be OK with increasing pollution so long as we can export it and not have to measure it here.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.