Two things I just dont understand....

Old 02-24-2011, 10:18 AM
n/a

Default Is leaving the state to hide from one's obligation to

represent the people anything like voting "present" instead of yes or no?

Per Bucco's statement they are avoiding the inevitable and since most are lawyers they know exactly to what extent they can use, abuse or hide behind the law to accomplish their objective...not voting....what kind of representation is that.

btk
Old 02-24-2011, 11:08 AM
n/a

I'm surprised by the several posts that have distain for Unions in this country.

My husband attended Berkeley in the early 70's, received a degree in education and could not get a job, the economy was bad. His Father a member of the ILWU helped him get a part time job taking cargo on and off ships in the port of Los Angeles and Long Beach, California. My husband continued working at the ports for 40 years as a crane man and foreman until his retirement this month. His Union fought for their benefits, salaries and Freedom. If they had not, the shippers would continue their greed at the expense of the workers.

I love being an American and I'm grateful we can have a union voice. Sometimes the little people get lost and as a group we can be heard.

Thank you
Old 02-24-2011, 11:50 AM
n/a

I just checked my last pay stub for year 2010. I see where I payed almost $3000 union dues that went indirectly in the pockets of the Democratic party. I tried to opt out of the union about 15 years ago as I saw it as being a very corrupt organization. Well to my surprise even though I opt out I still pay my union dues. My union USWA spends way too much effort fighting to keep the trouble makers employed and is a puppet for the Democratic party.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:15 PM
n/a

You'll get no argument from me about the corruption in so many unions. Heck, I have a picture taken inside a Postal facility that shows the union violating federal privacy laws but they've never been taken to task for it. (They targeted my now-ex-wife and others - calling them 'scabs' for not being union members, telling the membership to "let them know how you feel" - which was a code word for vandalism)
Old 02-24-2011, 12:32 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUREK View Post
I just checked my last pay stub for year 2010. I see where I payed almost $3000 union dues that went indirectly in the pockets of the Democratic party. I tried to opt out of the union about 15 years ago as I saw it as being a very corrupt organization. Well to my surprise even though I opt out I still pay my union dues. My union USWA spends way too much effort fighting to keep the trouble makers employed and is a puppet for the Democratic party.
$3000???? That would be $250.00 a month!! Dues are typically 2.5 times the hourly wage rate per month. By your figure, that would be a $100.00 an hour job. Is Is your job still open? I may come out of retirement for that one.

I also, did not appreciate my local unions electioneering efforts that I didn't agree with; but on the other hand they usually were trying to help candidates who purported to be sympathetic to the concerns of the union worker. It's was just my feelings about the remainder of that candidate's liberal positions that would cause me grief.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:17 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
$3000???? That would be $250.00 a month!! Dues are typically 2.5 times the hourly wage rate per month. By your figure, that would be a $100.00 an hour job. Is Is your job still open? I may come out of retirement for that one.

I also, did not appreciate my local unions electioneering efforts that I didn't agree with; but on the other hand they usually were trying to help candidates who purported to be sympathetic to the concerns of the union worker. It's was just my feelings about the remainder of that candidate's liberal positions that would cause me grief.
RichieLion. Yes I have a very good job and I put in very long hours. I average about 70 hours a week. My choice and not forced OT.
What upsets me is I do go to a union meeting and ask for funds or to have a Republican come and talk at our meetings I am always denied. Yet two or three times a year a Liberal congressman who was under Federal Watch list with Murtha comes and we give him big bucks. They don't want to talk to anyone who doesn't toe the line.
I am thinking it was close to 10 years ago there was an unofficial poll and the membership was about 65% Liberal and 35% Conservative. I do wish our donations to the parties was split that way as well.
My company is 40% foreign owned and if I have a problem I go to our foreign partner and the problem is solved without using our union.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:45 PM
n/a

Default Union Accomplishments?

Appliance Park Louisville, KY employment 1965...10,000

btk
Old 02-24-2011, 02:22 PM
n/a

I read a lot of anti-union posts here. However what I do not see is an alternative. Please do not tell me that management will negotiate. Why do some of you see the common worker who is a union member as the enemy and let corporate big wigs do anything they want. I happen to believe that they with their inflated salaries and benefits are the real threat. Even when they fail they are given million dollar buyouts but nothing is said about them.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:41 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUREK View Post
RichieLion. Yes I have a very good job and I put in very long hours. I average about 70 hours a week. My choice and not forced OT.
What upsets me is I do go to a union meeting and ask for funds or to have a Republican come and talk at our meetings I am always denied. Yet two or three times a year a Liberal congressman who was under Federal Watch list with Murtha comes and we give him big bucks. They don't want to talk to anyone who doesn't toe the line.
I am thinking it was close to 10 years ago there was an unofficial poll and the membership was about 65% Liberal and 35% Conservative. I do wish our donations to the parties was split that way as well.
My company is 40% foreign owned and if I have a problem I go to our foreign partner and the problem is solved without using our union.
Unions, understandably are not going to help or promote a political candidate that doesn't plan on helping the union with it's mission. The union needs easier organizing rules in the arena of the private job sector and legislators who advocate that non-union companies comply with the job safety regulations that the union demands of the unionized employer. In the private sector the union has to strive for a level playing field.

Of course, this doesn't really apply in the public sector. The public employee usually makes no commodity of financial value and his employer will not go out of business if it spends more than it produces. Virtually every public employee is "overhead". Therefore this worker doesn't live in the normal world of "supply and demand" and will not easily be coerced into giving back any portion of their compensation to balance a budget.

All the improvements in the private sector workers life, (such as the 8 hr. day, the 40 hr. week, paid vacation, overtime pay etc., etc.) which were hard won by worker unions are now regarded as entitlements and part of the fabric of life. People think they'll never go away and the day of the need for unions are long past. I guess we'll see, because the unions are in decline and soon employers will have little need to boost compensation so that their employees don't take the risk of organizing. Will the future of the worker be better because of this? We shall see.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:26 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynet View Post
I read a lot of anti-union posts here. However what I do not see is an alternative. Please do not tell me that management will negotiate. Why do some of you see the common worker who is a union member as the enemy and let corporate big wigs do anything they want. I happen to believe that they with their inflated salaries and benefits are the real threat. Even when they fail they are given million dollar buyouts but nothing is said about them.
Thank you
Old 02-24-2011, 04:08 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynet View Post
I also want to, because it's unusual for me, to AGREE WITH EVERY WORD YOU SAID!!

I am and will always be UNION PROUD.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:42 PM
n/a

Default And not enough ever gets said about the number of jobs

that are no longer her in the USA as a result of inefficient, over compensated organized labor. Has nothing to do with liberal, conservative, party, color religion or what ever floats ones boat...the jobs are gone due to excessive costs of doing business like in Appliance Park Louisville, KY.

The union was presented the opportunity to keep the jobs in KY. They were not asked to meet the offshore pricing, but some percentage less than the current rates. The unions position was all or nothing...they got it...nothing.
Turned down one dollar per hour less VS losing the work. The jobs are gone....nuff said regardless ones bent!!

btk

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.