University of OK Expels Students For Racist Chant

Old 03-10-2015, 04:27 PM
n/a

Post University of OK Expels Students For Racist Chant

University of Oklahoma Expels Two Students Tied to Racist Chant Video - NBC News

Two students have now been expelled after a copy of a film surfaced over the week-end in which they were leading a racist chant. The fraternity was closed down yesterday, and all student were told to vacate the building by today. SAE has also cut all ties with the OK chapter.

Kudos to OK University President David Boren for stepping in and taking immediate action. These kids parents must be so proud of their sons.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:21 PM
n/a

SAE Identifies Beauton Gilbow As House Mother Who Appeared to Use Epithet - NBC News

Now the SAE fraternity has identified a house mother at the frat house who was identified on a video using racial epithet.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:10 PM
n/a

I agree with the exclusion of the fraternity from the University; however, I do not agree with expelling the students. Let them face the reality of their hateful actions from their peers on campus.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:26 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I agree with the exclusion of the fraternity from the University; however, I do not agree with expelling the students. Let them face the reality of their hateful actions from their peers on campus.
I have not fully digested this but I am saddened and am incensed.

I also agree that the fraternity should be disbanded, as individuals represent that organization.

On the other hand, I'm a strong advocate of free speech. I was angry when those (Westboro Baptist Church) idiots would protest at Iraq War veterans funerals claiming, "God hates Fags!" etc...

And I'm also unsympathetic to Univ of Calif., Irvine student government kids that banned the US flag from be flown on campus.

BUT... unfortunately... FREE SPEECH at the individual level must be protected, as vile as it is, sometimes.

Therefore, ban the fraternity, counsel the students, but you can't prosecute/punish them for exercising their constitutionally-protected free speech. This is one of those occasions where we all agree their speech is horrible, but nevertheless (should be) protected.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:30 PM
n/a

Quote:
I have not fully digested this but I am saddened and am incensed.

I also agree that the fraternity should be disbanded, as individuals represent that organization.

On the other hand, I'm a strong advocate of free speech. I was angry when those (Westboro Baptist Church) idiots would protest at Iraq War veterans funerals claiming, "God hates Fags!" etc...

And I'm also unsympathetic to Univ of Calif., Irvine student government kids that banned the US flag from be flown on campus.

BUT... unfortunately... FREE SPEECH at the individual level must be protected, as vile as it is, sometimes.

Therefore, ban the fraternity, counsel the students, but you can't prosecute/punish them for exercising their constitutionally-protected free speech. This is one of those occasions where we all agree their speech is horrible, but nevertheless (should be) protected.
Based on news reports today, the University of Oklahoma President David Boren thought he had grounds to expel them, and that is what he did. They are also being investigated for civil rights violations.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:42 PM
n/a

Quote:
Based on news reports today, the University of Oklahoma President David Boren thought he had grounds to expel them, and that is what he did. They are also being investigated for civil rights violations.
But just for a moment think about the consequences of the above. No longer can you express in public your thoughts, unless they agree with whatever is considered ok that day by the government.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:28 PM
n/a

Quote:
But just for a moment think about the consequences of the above. No longer can you express in public your thoughts, unless they agree with whatever is considered ok that day by the government.
Oh these kids can say whatever they want, but the university can also boot them out for those statements. It's just like if you go out and bad mouth your employer or give away trade secrets, which are both your first amendment rights, you won't be working for that employer very long.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:38 PM
n/a

Quote:
Oh these kids can say whatever they want, but the university can also boot them out for those statements. It's just like if you go out and bad mouth your employer or give away trade secrets, which are both your first amendment rights, you won't be working for that employer very long.
You could very well be correct in that whatever one says on a college campus is subject to review by university authorities for compliance. I just haven't expended the time to do any research.

Having said that, I'm kind of surprised that free speech is so abridged on a college campus as those youngins' often say very controversial things.

But, you may be right...
Old 03-10-2015, 10:05 PM
n/a

Maybe the fraternity was auditioning for internships at Fox News?
Old 03-10-2015, 11:03 PM
n/a

Quote:
Maybe the fraternity was auditioning for internships at Fox News?
I don't get it?
Old 03-11-2015, 05:03 PM
n/a

I hear a lot of people feigning outrage over this incident but I've seen more news coverage about these dumb, insensitive kids singing that song then I did the actual damage the looters did in Ferganson. Added to the continuing assult on law inforcement my empathy is running low this minority.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:56 PM
n/a

If it weren't for AG Holder, there would be no firings in Ferguson, probably promotions instead.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:07 PM
n/a

Quote:
If it weren't for AG Holder, there would be no firings in Ferguson, probably promotions instead.
Who got fired?
Old 03-12-2015, 07:25 AM
n/a

Default Racism

Quote:
I hear a lot of people feigning outrage over this incident but I've seen more news coverage about these dumb, insensitive kids singing that song then I did the actual damage the looters did in Ferganson. Added to the continuing assult on law inforcement my empathy is running low this minority.
Is not dead, it is alive and well on this forum and within the villages. I've witnessed it many times and even heard a tea party organizer on the square say we have too many of "those kind of people"in Washington. They were very specific with the innuendo. I don't know if they are trying to rehash the civil war or create their own little Jonesboro type utopia. Either way it just stinks.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:01 AM
n/a

Quote:
The laundry called. Your sheets are ready.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.