We have seen the enemy and it is *us*

Old 04-12-2011, 05:33 AM
n/a

Default We have seen the enemy and it is *us*

Republicans? Democrats? Who endangers this country more?

It's us.

From today's NH Union Leader:

Quote:
Newsweek reported in its March 28/April 4 edition that only 62 percent of randomly selected adult citizens passed the test when given by its pollster. Among the most appalling findings: Only 30 percent knew that the Constitution is the supreme law of the land; 43 percent did not know that the first 10 amendments constitute the Bill of Rights; and two-thirds could not identify America's economic system as capitalistic or market-based.
That's scary. Scarier still - these un- or ill-informed people vote.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:00 AM
n/a

What's scarier is that these folks are the majority of independants that can get hooked in with slogans like "Hope & Change" while never asking exactly what it meant.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:01 AM
n/a

I kind of like the phrase, "A Bridge to Nowhere" and the incumbent governor (at that time) was in favor of it. Of course, I am talking abut Sarah.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:01 AM
n/a

Oh the snow jobs are on all sides... I remember people thinking we could balance the budget by eliminating foreign aid (a miniscule portion of expenditures). There were cries about welfare spending from Republicans and defense increases from Democrats (and in the 80s both cases were wrong). I've heard Democrats blame Reagan for closing state hospitals in Massachusetts when it was Dukakis who did it years before Reagan came to D.C. Today Republicans think that cutting a few million from the CPB helps while ignoring cuts that the Air Force wants to voluntarily make. The Democrats, on the other hand, can't make up their mind from minute to minute WHAT they want to do.

A person is smart. "People" are dumb.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:48 PM
n/a

Default Apples and Oranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
I kind of like the phrase, "A Bridge to Nowhere" and the incumbent governor (at that time) was in favor of it. Of course, I am talking abut Sarah.
Nobody ever ran for office with the slogan "Bridge to Nowhere". Nice try.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:27 PM
n/a

Default Thinking on her feet

Another great Palin-ism,

"Well, let's see. There's ― of course in the great history of America there have been rulings that there's never going to be absolute consensus by every American, and there are those issues, again, like Roe v. Wade, where I believe are best held on a state level and addressed there. So, you know, going through the history of America, there would be others but ―"

from her interview with Katie Couric
Old 04-12-2011, 05:55 PM
n/a

Oh, are we back to Palin again? Tired of Bachmann bashing already? Switching back and forth now just to keep things fresh?

One thing the libs hate I guess more than a conservative is a conservative woman. Maybe they'd gain favor with the left if they aborted a child or two and wanted to raise taxes on the rich...

Anyway, I tend to agree with the title of this post. We don't like debt but we keep electing the same people over and over who put us into debt. Now they want to fix social security all the while they have been robbing it blind. Lock box was it?

No doubt people know so little about our country or even have an ounce of common sense anymore (well, some do). They don't teach the truth in schools anyone. The dumbing down of America in the immortal words of Jeremiah Wright is "coming home to roost."
Old 04-12-2011, 08:17 PM
n/a

As a favor to Lassen, here is a Michele Bachmann quote:

''If we took away the minimum wage — if conceivably it was gone — we could potentially virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level.''

Almost makes Palin sound like she could have gotten through community college, doesn't it?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:29 PM
n/a

In case you haven't thought of it, posting dumb quotes from people doesn't mean a thing. I can post just as many from long time democratic congressmen... and woman. Some you may have even voted for.

So what's your point? Palin and Bachmann are stupid? Geeeeeeee, I've never seen a stupid politician before. I'm shocked.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:07 PM
n/a

I believe the point is that THEY are getting the press. THEY (and Trump) are being portrayed as the voice of the party instead of someone like Romney.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:15 PM
n/a

Quote:
THEY (and Trump) are being portrayed as the voice of the party
I don't necessarily agree but that aside, I think I'd rather hang with someone a little less intelligent and honest rather than someone who's smart and a crook. Washington is full of the later. Maybe what we need is some good old everyday honest folk and a little less left wing elitism.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:12 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplong View Post
I believe the point is that THEY are getting the press. THEY (and Trump) are being portrayed as the voice of the party instead of someone like Romney.
That might be the point to you, but Bugs is just a bomb thrower trying to get a rise out of people. Which is why I didn't take the bait in his latest inane attacks on non-candidates.

At least these two women are honest to God America loving patriots instead of the blame America first nation devolutionists who are at the forefront of the once great Democrat Party of Truman and Kennedy.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:49 AM
n/a

There's certainly nothing wring with being patriotic - they're just in WAY over their heads. What's worse is that their ignorance gets ignored by their fan base - much in the way that Obama's inexperience was largely glossed over.

I mean, if you really look at Palin's record, it's not that impressive because being mayor of Wasilla and governor of Alaska are, comparatively speaking EASY jobs. Governing Massachusetts is FAR more difficult than governing Alaska, which is why Romney gets more respect from me than Palin.

That's where I have the mental disconnect. Palin, Bachman and Trump getting the press. Pawlenty is, technically speaking, the front-runner (in that he's the only actually DECLARED candidate) and Romney is mostly ignored - though he's run before and is most likely to run again.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:00 AM
n/a

Default Using the same perspective and scale of measurement

Obama would not have even been on the ticket.
Measurements such as in over their heads..."qualified"...intelligence...capable...
are all words used to denounce the opposition, especially the women.

That same microscope applied to the current incumbents including Obama would not qualify any better.
All that is needed is a smooth talker/speech reader/glad hander and the gullible we the people buy it hook line and sinker. You want proof...just look at the same dunces that continually get re-elected.

How about some real qualities required of a TRUE, BUSINESS EXPERIENCED, ACCOUNTABLE, PERFORMANCE, ACCOMPLISHMENT BASED, SAY IT AND DO IT..... LEADER?

Washington would be vacant!!! As well as most candidates not qualified.
We the people are quite content with the mediocre (at best!!!) business as usual in Washington.

btk

btk
Old 04-13-2011, 08:49 AM
n/a

Richie,

Me, a bomb thrower? Me, try to get a rise out of people? Would I ever stoop to that just for a smile?

However, to portray Sarah Palin as an American Patriot is going just too far, in my opinion. Richie, she has handlers who will not let her speak on her own. Interviews have to be pre-approved for questions by her handlers. If Palin was a true patriot like you stated, she would not have quit her term as Alaska governor. She quit in order to sell herself and make money. Her ghost-written books have made millions of dollars and she commands big money for her canned speeches - written by speechwriters (and I do know all politicians have speechwriters).

Well, off my Palin soapbox now and off to the golf course. Hope you have a good day in The Villages today. Enjoy an ice-cold Yeungling when you can.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.