What Is Going On Here?

Old 06-24-2011, 02:21 PM
n/a

Default What Is Going On Here?

I thought the fracture between the Democrats and Republicans was serious. Now it looks like the Republicans don't even get along with other Republicans. Not that Eric Cantor "works for" John Boehner in a business sense, but if you were Cantor's boss and he hung you out to dry like this, how long would he be working for you?

This is the GOP that's going to mount an effective campaign to take back the White House in 2012? Sometime really soon this team better all start playing from the same playbook, or the idea of displacing President Obama will become an increasingly laughable idea.

Read this article from The Daily Beast...

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...BOBIlAB8cDbthu
Old 06-24-2011, 03:11 PM
n/a

I agree
Old 06-24-2011, 04:06 PM
n/a

It was better under the Nancy Pelosi dictatorship style of consensus? It doesn't bother me when ideals trump some sort of mandatory party consensus. I, myself, have had quite enough of "my way or the highway" negotiations.

Principled leaders instead of robots and yes-men. I'm OK with that. I'll just leave the ranting to others on this one.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:18 PM
n/a

Default Another one for the good side

Village Kahuna seems to have come to the light as well as Rubicon. Welcome to the light and away from the Dark Side.

The side of Light is growing each day, Richie. You may still be in the twilight zone but you see our side and are inching closer with each posting such as being an advocate of both legalizing marijuana and of gay marriage.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:23 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
Village Kahuna seems to have come to the light as well as Rubicon. Welcome to the light and away from the Dark Side.

The side of Light is growing each day, Richie. You may still be in the twilight zone but you see our side and are inching closer with each posting such as being an advocate of both legalizing marijuana and of gay marriage.
You're killing me Bugs, you're killing me.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:22 AM
n/a

Default What Do You Mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
...It doesn't bother me when ideals trump some sort of mandatory party consensus. I, myself, have had quite enough of "my way or the highway" negotiations.

Principled leaders instead of robots and yes-men. I'm OK with that....
But who was it that declared "my way or the highway" in these negotiations? Yes, there were major disagreements between the Vice President and Cantor. But only one is still sitting at the table. The other closed off any further negotiations, took his ball and left the game. Is that what you mean when you say "ideals trump party consensus"? Is that what any of us mean or desire when we elect people who we expect to get something done for the good of the country? It sounds to me like, while you say you don't like totally confrontational and unyielding negotiations, in fact that's what you really do like.

Not me. I've never been in a successful negotiation yet where one party walked away from the table.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:26 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
But who was it that declared "my way or the highway" in these negotiations? Yes, there were major disagreements between the Vice President and Cantor. But only one is still sitting at the table. The other closed off any further negotiations, took his ball and left the game. Is that what you mean when you say "ideals trump party consensus"? Is that what any of us mean or desire when we elect people who we expect to get something done for the good of the country? It sounds to me like, while you say you don't like totally confrontational and unyielding negotiations, in fact that's what you really do like.

Not me. I've never been in a successful negotiation yet where one party walked away from the table.
Cantor was there to discuss spending cuts. The VP won't discuss spending cuts without tax increases. Cantor says "no way, not gonna happen, we're only discussing spending cuts". Biden stands firm figuring the Republicans crack under the pressure, as usual. Cantor walks away and says, "call me when you're serious about spending cuts, and we'll continue".

Sounds principled to me. Why should Cantor allow himself to be bullied?
Old 06-25-2011, 11:31 AM
n/a

they should be there to discuss both.This is childish,nonsense behavior that helps no one and hurts any ability for our country to recover. Cantor and the rest of the repubs know that there can be no recovery with only tax cuts,it's not possible. It sounds good"we will not raise taxes" but it is pure hog wash and they know it. Their political nonsense is threatening this country and the people like you that support their voodoo economics are just as much to blame. I ask this question over and over and never get an answer....Why are you so opposed to repealing the Bush tax cuts. They did not work. They did not do what they were supposed to do. The rich are not investing,they are not creating jobs with the extra money. They are spending it on themselves and their families.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:35 PM
n/a

I see that QE1 and QE2, plus the two stimlus packages really did a great job also. Where are all the jobs promised, why are prices going up and the dollar dumping into the toilet? I see that neither party really wants to work for the country, they only what to work for those that have bought and paid for them. What we need is a good recall program and start all over again with new faces. Then if they don't work together, recall and start over again. Pretty soon if nothing is done we won't have to worry about our country it will be owned by someone else, like maybe China.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:28 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post

Are some heads going to explode now that the gay marriage rights passed in NY?
Old 06-25-2011, 02:32 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynet View Post
they should be there to discuss both.This is childish,nonsense behavior that helps no one and hurts any ability for our country to recover. Cantor and the rest of the repubs know that there can be no recovery with only tax cuts,it's not possible. It sounds good"we will not raise taxes" but it is pure hog wash and they know it. Their political nonsense is threatening this country and the people like you that support their voodoo economics are just as much to blame. I ask this question over and over and never get an answer....Why are you so opposed to repealing the Bush tax cuts. They did not work. They did not do what they were supposed to do. The rich are not investing,they are not creating jobs with the extra money. They are spending it on themselves and their families.
I have been trying to figure that out as well....if all those kind and generous and community minded rich folk were creating jobs with all the money they have saved in tax cuts we would not be where we are. It would not kill those 1% of the richest of the rich to give a little more...
Old 06-25-2011, 02:54 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydoc View Post
I have been trying to figure that out as well....if all those kind and generous and community minded rich folk were creating jobs with all the money they have saved in tax cuts we would not be where we are. It would not kill those 1% of the richest of the rich to give a little more...
You could tax the 1% a 100% and it wouldn't help. It would only make you feel good. We need solutions that don't hurt the producers.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:58 PM
n/a

Default really

Quote:
You could tax the 1% a 100% and it wouldn't help. It would only make you feel good. We need solutions that don't hurt the producers.
Richie, my dear, you are so darn predictable!
Old 06-25-2011, 03:06 PM
n/a

Quote:
In fairness to a legitimate debate, of course it wouldn't help if you taxed the 1% at 100%. The question is whether it would help the deficit without hurting job growth if a "temporary" tax cut were lifted, along with serious budget cuts. I'm not saying it would, just trying to keep the discussion kind of real, fwiw.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:01 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydoc View Post
Richie, my dear, you are so darn predictable!
Thank you. I know you mean predictable because of my outstanding record of always being correct. Again, I thank you.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.