Whats wrong with this picture

Old 05-26-2011, 04:11 PM
n/a

Default Whats wrong with this picture

In the United States of America you are not allowed to attend the singing of a budget that is paid for with your tax money because it is being held on "private property"that is being paid for with your amenity funds which you have no choice but to pay because your politics differ with the head of your state government?This is very scary.I never thought I would ever see this happen in a place I thought was so wonderful.I don't think I will ever again proudly say I live in the Villages
Old 05-26-2011, 04:33 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargee View Post
In the United States of America you are not allowed to attend the singing of a budget that is paid for with your tax money because it is being held on "private property"that is being paid for with your amenity funds which you have no choice but to pay because your politics differ with the head of your state government?This is very scary.I never thought I would ever see this happen in a place I thought was so wonderful.I don't think I will ever again proudly say I live in the Villages
I don't understand what you are saying. Is someone signing a budget in TV? Who and where and why reference the state government and it sounds a little political...but I don't truly understand what you are telling us. Please clarify.

Kind regards,
Gracie
Old 05-26-2011, 04:36 PM
n/a

Default Sorry!

I do not comprehend your post. Can you help me understand better what this is about?
Old 05-26-2011, 04:43 PM
n/a

Default Clarifying my post

Read todays edition of the Orlando Sentinel
Old 05-26-2011, 04:52 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't understand what you are saying. Is someone signing a budget in TV? Who and where and why reference the state government and it sounds a little political...but I don't truly understand what you are telling us. Please clarify.

Kind regards,
Gracie
I don't know why or how the state government ties into it, but there is a budget that's processed by each district in TV. You can find them at the VCDD website. As for being political, it is political just as much as it would be if someone posted a comment about our representatives in Washington having to sign legislation in order to find out what's in it! Maybe that's were what the alleged situation the OP's claiming was leaned from! Then again maybe not. Who knows?
Old 05-26-2011, 05:06 PM
n/a

Quote:
No one was kept out of Lake Sumter Landing for Gov. Scott's State budget signing. No one was screened. Some Democrat protesters were moved across the street from the Pavilion, but that's about it. The Pavilion was leased for this event, and security was evident.

You gave a lot of invented misinformation in your post. I don't know why.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:17 PM
n/a

Quote:

I don't believe the place where the signing took place is part of our amenities. I believe it is private property. I realize it is used by the public for entertainment events but can be closed to the public at the will of the owner.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:22 PM
n/a

Bargee,

Your posting was mighty incoherent but I did know Gov. Rick Scott was signing the state budget here in The Villages today. It was in the Daily Sun and other newspapers.

Like Richie said, no one was kept out. Some protesters were moved elsewhere like in any political event. Sure, security was present. Rick Scott is the governor of the state. No problem.

Even if you do not agree with the politics of Rick Scott, he is the governor and you have to respect that.

Like I have said to Richie and others on the political forum - and this goes for you, Bargee. Get over it. Nothing you can do about it now.

Of course, not that I would ever suggest to anyone, if you do not think you can live in a place like this run by the Morse family - no one is holding you here. You might even make a tidy profit on your house on your move to Stonecrest or Lake Wier.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:26 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
No one was kept out of Lake Sumter Landing for Gov. Scott's State budget signing. No one was screened. Some Democratic protesters were moved across the street from the Pavilion, but that's about it. The Pavilion was leased for this event, and security was evident.

I was there and watched as the protesters were moved away from the Square area. I understand that the event was paid for with private funds, but what about their right to political dissent. You can tell me they were provided with an opportunity to protest, as long as they did it out of earshot or sight.

The Supreme Court has recently rule that you cannot stifle political dissent. There is nothing sicker, or more reprehensible, as the church that protests at Fallen Hero's funerals. But the Court ruled you can't stop it. I know someone will argue the private property defense, but really, is this what TV has descended to?

Please reread Franklin's quotation, used in your email signature. I'm sure you could imagine the word dissent in there somewhere.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:26 PM
n/a

Quote:
No one was kept out of Lake Sumter Landing for Gov. Scott's State budget signing. No one was screened. Some Democrat protesters were moved across the street from the Pavilion, but that's about it. The Pavilion was leased for this event, and security was evident.

Thanks Richie for this post. At least those of us who don't have access to the Orlando Sentinel now have a clue what the OP was talking about and the motivation behind it. The lack of clearity caused me to misunderstand and make a post that, in a manner of speaking, was out in left field.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:09 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemorc View Post
I was there and watched as the protesters were moved away from the Square area. I understand that the event was paid for with private funds, but what about their right to political dissent. You can tell me they were provided with an opportunity to protest, as long as they did it out of earshot or sight.

The Supreme Court has recently rule that you cannot stifle political dissent. There is nothing sicker, or more reprehensible, as the church that protests at Fallen Hero's funerals. But the Court ruled you can't stop it. I know someone will argue the private property defense, but really, is this what TV has descended to?

Please reread Franklin's quotation, used in your email signature. I'm sure you could imagine the word dissent in there somewhere.
You can protest all you want as long as you're on public property and behaving in a lawful manner. The pavilion area is private property and was leased for this event. This has to be respected for it's own value as well as for the security of the governor, which is paramount is situations like these.
The protesters were moved across the street, not to Siberia. If you've been to the square you know this is no big move.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:09 PM
n/a

Dang it, Richie -

I hate it when you give a good clear and coherent answer that is direct, to the point, and also correct. It leaves me nothing at all to argue about.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:33 PM
n/a

Since I am way up here in Ohio, neither the Orlando Sentinel or the Daily Sun are options to read.

Glad someone clarified it....a little.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:41 PM
n/a

Quote:
You can protest all you want as long as you're on public property and behaving in a lawful manner. The pavilion area is private property and was leased for this event. This has to be respected for it's own value as well as for the security of the governor, which is paramount is situations like these.
The protesters were moved across the street, not to Siberia. If you've been to the square you know this is no big move.
I agree with everything you have said. My question was where do you draw the line on honest political dissent? I said I was there, I witnessed the move. I do not believe there was any reason to suspect unruly conduct. After the assault on the congresswoman in Arizona, security has to be tight.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania (1759)
Old 05-26-2011, 08:51 PM
n/a

Moving some group across the street is not a violation of free speech. Now, if the "protestors" were rounded up and taken to Golden Corral and forced to eat a meal, that would be cruel and unusual punishment.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.