Where does the leadership of ISIS come from?

Old 03-26-2016, 12:30 PM
n/a

Default Where does the leadership of ISIS come from?

Unlike many Islamic State commanders, Qaduli came from Osama bin Laden’s al Qaeda rather than the dissolved Baath party of Saddam Hussein, who was toppled by a U.S.-led invasion in 2003.

He was arrested several times under Saddam because of his extremist religions opinions and went to Afghanistan in 1998, where he met bin Laden, Hashimi said.

Bin Laden wanted him to take over command of the group’s Iraq franchise in 2010. But Baghdadi, already settled in as the local commander, turned against al Qaeda in 2013 and declared himself caliph a year later, winning the backing of Qaduli, Hashimi said.

Apparently from Hussein's Baath Party which dissolved when the US attack Iraq.

Islamic State Dealt Hefty Body Blow With Death Of Top Aide: Officials
Old 03-26-2016, 12:34 PM
n/a

Here another source:

http://theweek.com/articles/589924/brief-history-isis

Where did they come from?

ISIS was born out of the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003. When U.S. administrators, under Paul Bremer, decided to "de-Baathify" the Iraqi civil and military services, hundreds of thousands of Sunnis formerly loyal to Saddam Hussein were left without a job — and they were mad. Al Qaeda chose to capitalize on their anger and established al Qaeda in Iraq (AQI) to wage an insurgency against U.S. troops in Iraq (Saddam was secular, but his intelligence and military supporters were able to make common cause with the jihadis of al Qaeda).
Old 03-26-2016, 02:04 PM
n/a

I read your links. Most of the threads take the form of a debate. Is there a debate here that I missed?
Old 03-26-2016, 05:13 PM
n/a

This an interesting subject.
The following article discusses a shift in policy fighting ISIS/ISIL by increasing military operations. They lost Qaduli. They said that before they were asking their soldiers to come home and fight and now that are asking them to stay put and create terror where they are. We may see more operations like the one in Brussels. They felt was are making progress.

Raid that killed an Islamic State leader marks a shift in U.S. strategy - LA Times
Old 03-27-2016, 07:13 AM
n/a

It's too little, too late. Obama's policies are only half-@ss. He does not listen to military advisors on how to fight this scum. His ego is such that he thinks he knows everything. He is a paper tiger.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:21 AM
n/a

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Bakr_al-Baghdadi

I do not see the supposed leader of ISIS as having much of a connection to past wars in Iraq. He looks like a bloodthirsty religious zealot modeling himself on some medieval Muslim warrior.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:19 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest;120***8
I read your links. Most of the threads take the form of a debate. Is there a debate here that I missed?
I would say yes because posters here blame everything on Obama. Mainly, I think, because he called them ISIL instead of ISIS and because the right wing believes him to be Muslim.

http://www.nowtheendbegins.com/coded...-instead-isis/

Limbaugh EXPOSES Why Obama Says "ISIL" Instead Of "ISIS" - Shocking!

What Is ISIL? Why President Obama Won't Call The Islamic State 'ISIS'
Old 03-27-2016, 09:24 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
It's too little, too late. Obama's policies are only half-@ss. He does not listen to military advisors on how to fight this scum. His ego is such that he thinks he knows everything. He is a paper tiger.
The American public at large does not want ground troops in the region. End of story.

Bomb them as much as you want but no boots on the ground unless the draft is re-enstated so we all share the risks and the loss.

I have one nephew leaving for Afghanistan this fall. His brother has 5 tours in the region and the Purple Heart.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:27 AM
n/a

Quote:
I would say yes because posters here blame everything on Obama. Mainly, I think, because he called them ISIL instead of ISIS and because the right wing believes him to be Muslim.

The Coded Message Obama Delivers When He Says ISIL Instead Of ISIS

ISIS and ISIL are acronyms. Do you know what word each letter stands for? This should be easy for you.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:10 AM
n/a

Quote:
Technically, Obama IS a Muslim from birth. Whether he is a practicing Muslim or not does not change the fact that if his father was Muslim then he is Muslim. If a mother is Jewish, then the child is born Jewish. You can't change that, no matter how you try to argue it. So, yes Obama is Muslim. Live with it. You are just upset because you think you might have made a mistake by voting for him. He has been a failure and an embarrassment, so I can't blame you for that.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:30 AM
n/a

Quote:
Technically, Obama IS a Muslim from birth. Whether he is a practicing Muslim or not does not change the fact that if his father was Muslim then he is Muslim. If a mother is Jewish, then the child is born Jewish. You can't change that, no matter how you try to argue it. So, yes Obama is Muslim. Live with it. You are just upset because you think you might have made a mistake by voting for him. He has been a failure and an embarrassment, so I can't blame you for that.
What if a grandmother is Jewish? How does that work?
Old 03-27-2016, 11:22 AM
n/a

Quote:
My mother was Catholic for a while but that does not make me Catholic.

I voted for Obama twice and believe I made the correct choice-- given the options-- both times. I am not thrilled by President Barack Obama though especially after the mess that is Obama Care and because of his first Attorney General pick and his kind of ridiculous sounding Czars of this and that.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:25 AM
n/a

Isis, Isil, IS or Daesh? One group, many names - BBC News

Here is a link.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:26 AM
n/a

Quote:

http://www.nowtheendbegins.com/coded...-instead-isis/

I'm sorry I misread your post. You are taking the position that many feel Obama is to blame for everything and it's unfair. You gave 3 examples of biased reporting.
I agree with you. Sorry I missed it the first time.

ISIS OR ISIL?

The group traces its roots back to Al-Qaida in Iraq, which declared an Islamic State of Iraq (ISI) in 2006. The name never really caught on, however, because the militants were never able to seize and hold significant territory. That began to change when the group expanded into neighboring Syria, exploiting the chaos of its civil war. In 2013 the leader of the Islamic State of Iraq, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, renamed it the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham, signaling its emergence as a transnational force while sowing the first seeds of confusion over what to call it. Al-Sham is an archaic word for a vaguely defined territory that includes what is now Syria, Lebanon, Israel, the Palestinian territories and Jordan. It is most often translated as either Syria — in the sense of a greater Syria that no longer exists — or as the Levant, the closest English term for the territory it describes. In English, the group's name was translated variously as the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS), the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (also ISIS), or the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), the term usually used by the U.S. government and various U.N. agencies.

What's the difference between ISIL and ISIS? President Obama says ISIL | AL.com
Old 03-27-2016, 12:48 PM
n/a

Quote:
My mother was Catholic for a while but that does not make me Catholic.

I voted for Obama twice and believe I made the correct choice-- given the options-- both times. I am not thrilled by President Barack Obama though especially after the mess that is Obama Care and because of his first Attorney General pick and his kind of ridiculous sounding Czars of this and that.
Being a Catholic does not work that way. If you don't understand it, don't worry about it. If you are not Jewish, you probably never heard this. If you are not a Muslim, you probably never heard of it. This is just the way it works. Ask a Jew and ask a Muslim, if you don't believe me. Or, use your ultimate resource, the Internet.

A Catholic joins the church. A Christian is a conversion. A Jew is either born a Jew or converts to it. A Muslim is born to it or converts to it. Obama is technically a Muslim by birth. I have known Jews that were also Christians. They are called Christian Jews or just Christians. I have also known Muslims that have converted to Christianity.

And all this caused by a comment made by one poster on here.

Tags
bin, baath, dissolved, iraq, party, saddam, hashimi, qaeda, qaduli, laden, baghdadi, settled, wanted, group’s, franchise, command, husseins, apparently, backing, attack, winning, turned, commander, local, declared

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.