Why can't posters use their own names?

Old 02-12-2015, 05:13 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Perhaps you don't understand the busine$$ aspect of these various discussion websites (TOTV, etc…) The discussion forums are similar to television programming in that they draw viewers/posters. This traffic is counted and then used to establish advertising rates. TOTV exists as a business to sell ads…period. TOTV is heavy on ads, classifieds, contractors, etc…and quite thin on traffic and discussion, due in my opinion, to their heavy-handed moderation. But hey, it's their site and they can run it into the ground if they want.

Your post sounds as if you're confused who's the benefactor of this discussion traffic. There are thousands of discussion forums out there that are lively and full of intelligent discourse. When you log on here you see what… (2 viewing, etc…) When the traffic count drops too low, the ad revenue no longer supports the cost of maintaining the site. I rarely post here because the discussion is not lively and the moderation strangulating.
To a degree I am concur.

Seems that unless the post is to demean Fox news or to react to ANY criticism of the President, there is very little discourse. I am discounting this thread which, as you can see is the most viewed and commented on...which should tell you quite a lot.

A POLITICAL discussion is allowed on here, but nobody seems to care to discuss politics, which is healthy and helpful. (the discussion that is, not the inability to do so) Dont ask why it is helpful or issue the usual snarky comments.....most boards like this that are more than a swap meet, folks will exchange thoughts and reading material, but here it DOES seem to be a non lively debate and is very very seldom based on facts and politics. Well, give TOTV a shout out..they are trying..they cannot make people be concerned and read !!!
Old 02-12-2015, 07:21 PM
n/a

Quote:
Perhaps you don't understand the busine$$ aspect of these various discussion websites (TOTV, etc…) The discussion forums are similar to television programming in that they draw viewers/posters. This traffic is counted and then used to establish advertising rates. TOTV exists as a business to sell ads…period. TOTV is heavy on ads, classifieds, contractors, etc…and quite thin on traffic and discussion, due in my opinion, to their heavy-handed moderation. But hey, it's their site and they can run it into the ground if they want.

Your post sounds as if you're confused who's the benefactor of this discussion traffic. There are thousands of discussion forums out there that are lively and full of intelligent discourse. When you log on here you see what… (2 viewing, etc…) When the traffic count drops too low, the ad revenue no longer supports the cost of maintaining the site. I rarely post here because the discussion is not lively and the moderation strangulating.
This is a community forum with local advertisers. Local advertisers have historically chosen to pull ads from websites that are laden with strife and and hate speech. Since a select few have chosen to ignore the rules and stay non-political, I am guessing the political forum is simply a "dumping ground" for vicious discourse.

It would appear that some members conveniently forget that this is a free forum and it is a Privilege, not a Right to be a member.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:56 PM
n/a

Quote:

Don't think that because your post is 'Guest' that we aren't able to identify the actual poster.

You are not correct in your statements. Our traffic has been growing at 20% plus annually every year since inception and there isn't a more trafficked website in TheVillages.

We track all our traffic to the site and the political discussion represents a single digit contribution.

The politcal section is here for the enjoyment of the small audience who wish to participate.

If you do not want to post in the political section or on TOTV please let us know and we can remove your user account.

Best Regards,

Admin

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.