Why Are We in Libya???

Old 06-06-2011, 10:15 AM
n/a

Default Why Are We in Libya???

I have been trying to find what vital national interests caused us to attack Libya without provocation. Libya had ceased to be a sponsor of terror – it’s not oil, Libya produces 1.6 millions of barrels of oil per day which sounds like a lot but puts it 17th on the list of world oil production – it’s not piracy or attacks on American citizens. So what is it?

President Obama has told us we are there for humanitarian reason to prevent the slaughter of Libyans by Gadhafi. He clarified that the objectives did not necessarily include the overthrow of Gadhafi. He did not explain why similar circumstances in Egypt, Tunisia or the Darfur genocide did not justify such intervention.

Political analysts such as Jon Stewart have expressed their confusion at what is referred to the ‘America at Not-War’.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/we...--strong-women

Extreme left-wing bloggers have speculated that we went to Not-War to prevent Libya from issuing a new currency – a gold backed Dinar. The concept is that all the Arab states would unite and demand payment for oil to be made in gold. I do not buy this for a number of reasons. There is too much conflict between the various countries and the House of Saud is completely dependent upon the United States for its survival.

So what is our reason for being in Libya? I’m interested in everyone’s response but ask that you remain on subject; this is the Libyan Not-War – not the revolutionary, Civil, Mexican American, Korean, Vietnam, Gulf or any other war.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:38 PM
n/a

Unfortunately, this produced the reply I expected - no-one has any idea of why we went into Libya, what we wish to accomplish or what our criteria for victory are in this Not-War.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:19 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQMan View Post
Unfortunately, this produced the reply I expected - no-one has any idea of why we went into Libya, what we wish to accomplish or what our criteria for victory are in this Not-War.

Nobody cares....there is nobody to mock, make fun of or make little smart remarks about.

Good thread though.....this and a number of other things are flying under the radar, and lest we think we are talking about the economy in this country instead...alas no...we are making fun of people....or making little snide remarks !
Old 06-07-2011, 06:42 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Nobody cares....there is nobody to mock, make fun of or make little smart remarks about.

Good thread though.....this and a number of other things are flying under the radar, and lest we think we are talking about the economy in this country instead...alas no...we are making fun of people....or making little snide remarks !
It's got me stymied.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:53 AM
n/a

My *personal* opinion is that we thought we could get a lot of "Middle Eastern Street Cred" by using NATO (at low cost and no real risk) to topple a dictatorship and that this Street Cred could help our image offset perceptions many have of us over there. Unfortunately, Gaddafi was more resilient than Mubarak or the head of Tunisia.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.